News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Turtles

Started by stemturtle, December 08, 2012, 03:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: stemturtle on December 12, 2016, 01:16:20 PM
AcroSauroTaurus, you showed a Proganochelid.
When you get the time, please post a close up that shows if the neck and tail have spikes.
As help to search for this figure, is it part of a set? Thanks.
I have a few of them, and sorry to burst your collective bubble but I'm fairly certain they're generic snapping turtles, they came with other modern turtles.

stemturtle

Thanks stargatedalek.

Snapping turtle (Wild Republic) customized to resemble Chinlechelys.

The figure was part of the
Dinosaur Toy Forum diorama contest entered in 2012, Ambush at Ghost Ranch .

Also featured on the Dinosaur Collector site, Late Triassic Norian Age

Available on eBay in a set of 12.

AcroSauroTaurus

When you get the time, please post a close up that shows if the neck and tail have spikes.

It has some small spikes on the tail, and the feet look more tortoise-like, so I assumed it was some sort of primitive chelonid. And I just picked it out in a toy box at the doctor's office when I was younger, so I don't know its origins.

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 12, 2016, 05:00:17 PM
I have a few of them, and sorry to burst your collective bubble but I'm fairly certain they're generic snapping turtles, they came with other modern turtles.

Doesn't really look like a Snapping Turtle, has the wrong head, hands, and feet. Which is why I thought it was a Proganochelid. Perhaps a young individual that doesn't have fully formed spikes yet?
I am the Dinosaur King!

stargatedalek

In more detailed response to brontodocus here to keep the threads on-point.
http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=1972.0

I ran the scale and the hatchlings are roughly 1:4.5, if not slightly larger. The largest green sea turtle adult had a carapace length of 153cm, which makes this one in about 1:9 for a hypermature adult, closer to 1:7 for an average adult.

It would be easier to tell if her hands were more visible, but both of them next to a 1:9 scale human (Uzuki is 159cm tall [thank you iDOLM@STER wiki for your frighteningly accurate measurements]) really shows how large the eggs really are relative to the adult.

Jetoar

As I say in another post, it is a really good figure  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Fixed broken image urls of Papo Leatherback Turtle. :)

brontodocus

Walk-around photos of the big AAA Hawksbill Turtle are visible again. :)

brontodocus

Papo (Loggerhead) Sea Turtle broken image urls fixed. :)

CetaceanFan

brontodocus

Images in IC Galapagos Tortoise walk-around are working again. :)

brontodocus

Image urls of IC Alligator Snapping Turtle are working again. :)

brontodocus

IC Kemp's Ridley Sea Turtle image urls are working again. :)

brontodocus

Watch your fingers... images of IC Softshell Turtle are back. :)

brontodocus

Images in walk-around of WS Sealife Leatherback Turtle (old version) are visible again. :)

brontodocus

Walk-around of the Safari Ltd Wild Safari Sealife Leatherback Turtle, Dermochelys coriacea (Vandelli, 1761); item No. 2024-29, new for 2017. I always thought it was a bit sad that the old version had been retired and initially I thought the new version may be a repainted old sculpt but in fact it is an entirely different figure. And what a pretty one, too! :) Total length is 97 mm and carapace length is 75 mm (CCL = Curved Carapace Length) so the scale is somewhere between approx. 1:13 and 1:28 (for CCL between 1.0 and 2.1 m). The scale is also very similar to the retired version which has almost the same carapace length. Back when the old version was available, Safari Ltd was known for quite sloppy paint jobs which sometimes obscured otherwise beautiful sculpts. Today Safari Ltd have improved the colouration of their figures a lot and the new version's paint job looks fine and matt. While the polygonal osteoderm pattern on the limbs may look nice at first I think they should have better omitted this pattern since in an adult the osteoderms are very inconspicuous and relatively smaller in size than the polygons on the figure's limbs. Although currently still decreasing globally, conservation efforts have apparently begun to pay off and IUCN expects a world wide population increase of over 100% by 2040. As a consequence, in 2013 IUCN downgraded the Leatherback Turtle from "Endangered" (1986-1996) and "Critically Endangered" (2000) to "Vulnerable".

Comparison with Papo Marine Life (left) and CollectA Sea Life (right) figures:

BlueKrono

Quote from: KathyAnderson on April 24, 2013, 12:11:39 AM
You're welcome!
I didn't know that. I would've thought there'd be a lot of leatherback sea turtle figures, since they're the largest kind. (They ARE the largest type of sea turtle, right?)

They are by far the largest turtle by any measure, and are in fact the fourth heaviest living reptile, superseded only by three big crocodilians.
I like turtles.

CetaceanFan

Finally! A company that got this turtle species correct, especially the head. ;D

brontodocus

Thanks, CetaceanFan! :)
Quote from: CetaceanFan on February 09, 2017, 01:26:10 AM
Finally! A company that got this turtle species correct, especially the head. ;D
Of course, there are also Japanese figures of superb quality (e.g. Colorata and Toba Aquarium) although I haven't any of those.

akitalover

They are way too cool, check out this video from facebook

https://web.facebook.com/uniladmag/videos/2657513017605074/

BlueKrono

Quote from: akitalover on March 15, 2017, 04:41:59 AM
They are way too cool, check out this video from facebook

https://web.facebook.com/uniladmag/videos/2657513017605074/

"Dad? The tortoise eat shoe. I think they like."
I like turtles.