News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Turtles

Started by stemturtle, December 08, 2012, 03:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stemturtle

Quote from: Beetle guy on April 26, 2019, 12:08:10 PM
That is really a nice figurine @stemturtle ! A great sculpter. I have one poison dart frog (Dendrobates auratus) from this artist. Like this one really special!

Thank you, @Beetle guy. Next is a Blanding's turtle.

stemturtle

Blanding's turtle, Emydoidea blandingii (My Favorite Animals)

Carapace length 2.0 in. or 5.1 cm., scale about 1:4.
Blanding's turtle resembles a black army helmet with a yellow throat. The front third of the plastron has a hinge similar to a box turtle.
The pose of the model suggests a more aquatic species than the wood turtle. Its status is threatened in Minnesota.

Beetle guy

Really good! I looked at the 'My favorite Animal' website. man...what a turtle collection  :P
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Golden coin turtle, Cuora trifasciata by Yowie USA - Wild Water Series, new for 2019

stemturtle

Congratulations @bmathison1972 for finding Cuora trifasciata by Yowie.
The golden coin turtle is a new species for toy collectors.
There are several examples of a related species, Chinese box turtle or yellow-margined box turtle, Cuora flavomarginata.

Comparison of Golden coin turtle, Cuora trifasciata (Yowie) and
Chinese box turtle, Cuora flavomarginata (Yujin) on right.

Photo added on 7/6/2019

Advicot

A really good figure by Papo. I got this figure at Hamleys shop and got it free after it didn't have a bar code, so the clerk gave it me for free.   ;D
Don't I take long uploading photos!

Isidro

Lucky boy!
I've found it for sale in a shop, and after that I've learned that was retired, so I'm glad to have it. In my opinion it's the best leatherback turtle of any brand!

Advicot

Is it just the lighting or is its shell blue?  :o

Advicot

Cute, but it has a very cartoon like face.

stemturtle

African sideneck turtle, unidentified species (Yowie Gummies).
Carapace length about 1 1/8 in. or 2.9 cm.

Collectors will be pleased to add this example to their sparsely represented pleurodires.
Two genera in family Pelomedusidae are popular with the pet trade:
African helmeted turtle, Pelomedusa subrufa, and
African mud turtle, Pelusios sp.
This figure lacks detail to diagnose field marks.
Based on distribution, I favor an ID of the helmeted turtle over the mud turtle.

I bought the turtle on eBay, although it is early days for the 2019 release.
Yowie Gummies are a set of 16 popular pets.

jumboplayset

i just recieved this model the other day- I haven't assembled it yet - its absolutely my favorite animal-

stemturtle

Welcome to the forum @jumboplayset. Thanks for posting about your turtle model.
What species is the turtle? I hope you will share a photo when you can.

stemturtle

Galapagos tortoise, Chelonoidis nigra (Schleich, Wild Life), length about 3 in.

Our thread on species identification names this unidentified giant tortoise figure as a Galapagos tortoise. Another giant tortoise, the Aldabra, is indigenous to the Indian Ocean rather than the Pacific Ocean, home of the Galapagos.

Comparison of the Aldabra tortoise, Aldabrachelys gigantea (Colorata) and the Galapagos tortoise.

Location of the cervical scute, which is is present in most Aldabra tortoises, but absent in Galapagos tortoises. This scute covers the underlying nuchal bone, and is sometimes called a nuchal scute. It was not sculpted on the Colorata figure. Thanks to the clever Mrs. Stemturtle for the illustration using Photoshop.

C. n. porteri, the Santa Cruz Island tortoise is the best known Galapagos subspecies. If I were an expert, I would suggest this ID.

bmathison1972

I also have the new Schleich Galapagos tortoise. Do you like it @stemturtle ? I do!! Wish it was a tad bigger, but that's OK; it can representa younger individual. My Papo 'Galapagos' tortoise has a nuchal scute, so I am calling it an Aldabra.

stemturtle

Yes, @bmathison1972, I like this Galapagos tortoise. Amazing detail for such a small figure.

bmathison1972

Quote from: stemturtle on September 09, 2020, 10:59:02 PM

Yes, @bmathison1972, I like this Galapagos tortoise. Amazing detail for such a small figure.

I agree!

Burgerenby

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 15, 2019, 01:48:13 AM
And frankly, looks a lot more like a desert tortoise than a Galapagos or Aldabra giant tortoise.

It is however a Galápagos tortoise, not a desert tortoise, it was Safari Ltd. who did the mislabeling, not Schleich.
The figure has been retired by now but reemerged in the German grocery store chain Edeka as they currently have a collaboration with Schleich.

The booklet that they are handing out is identifying the Schleich model as a Santa Cruz tortoise.
They also correctly identify the brown-throated sloth and toco toucan that were simply labelled as "sloth" and "toucan" in the Schleich catalog.

Looking closely at the figure one can identify it as a western Santa Cruz Island tortoise (Chelonoidis porteri).
The model resembles this species far more than Gopherus morafkai as it was not originally intended to be desert tortoise.

For better comparison two images from Wikipedia of G. morafkai and C. porteri:

Advicot

stemturtle

Previous and new versions of the Schleich tortoises, Chelonoidis nigra porteri   

A booklet identifying the previous version of this Schleich figure as a Santa Cruz Island Galapagos tortoise was posted by @Stolpergeist. This supports the ID of the new version as a Santa Cruz tortoise. Some taxonomists recognize the subspecies as a full species. The same mold was used for both the older rendition of the Schleich tortoise and for the Safari "desert tortise."              

bmathison1972

Quote from: stemturtle on September 19, 2020, 12:54:33 PM

Previous and new versions of the Schleich tortoises, Chelonoidis nigra porteri   

A booklet identifying the previous version of this Schleich figure as a Santa Cruz Island Galapagos tortoise was posted by @Stolpergeist. This supports the ID of the new version as a Santa Cruz tortoise. Some taxonomists recognize the subspecies as a full species. The same mold was used for both the older rendition of the Schleich tortoise and for the Safari "desert tortise."         

what's funny @stemturtle is that morphologically, the older one is better for a desert tortoise than a Galapagos one!