News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Turtles

Started by stemturtle, December 08, 2012, 03:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

widukind

right side are (Wing Mau):
Geochelone carbonaria, Manourria impressa, Geochelone radiata, Geochelone sulcata, Chelydra serpentine, Chrysemys picta dorsalis, Malacochersus tornieri

Rossano

How can one distinguish the Caretta caretta caretta from the Caretta caretta gigas?

modelnut

Love it!

I have it now in my 1/24 scale collection. I want to get the kid too. But I don't know where to find him.

- Leelan

stemturtle

Colorata Sea Turtles, Endangered Species

Two volumes, each packed in a plastic box, each with 4 species of adults and matching hatchlings (2005).

Volume I

Ventral of adults is marked with the common name and a code using volume # - item # followed by A. Adults fit on a base. Size is slightly larger than Kaiyodo or Yujin.

Upper row (l to r): I - 1A Leatherback, I - 3A Hawksbill
Lower row (l to r): I - 4A Kemp's ridley, I - 2A Green

Ventral of hatchlings has a similar code to the adults, with B for hatchling; name not marked. No base for hatchlings. Length is generally less than 1.5 in. or 3.5 cm.

I - 1B Leatherback, Dermochelys coriacea
I - 2B Green, Chelonia mydas
I - 3B Hawksbill, Eretmochelys imbricata
I - 4B Kemp's ridley, Lepidochelys kempii

Volume II

Upper row (l to r): II - 6A Galapagos (previously Black), II - 5A Loggerhead
Lower row (l to r): II -7A Flatback, II -8A Olive ridley

II - 5B Loggerhead, Carettta caretta
II - 6B Galapagos green turtle (previously Black sea turtle), Chelonia agassizii
II - 7B Flatback, Nator depressus
II - 8B Olive ridley, Lepidochelys olivacea

Colorata also sold a box of the adult sea turtles without the hatchlings. See reply #16 by postsaurischian on this thread.

Edit: Chelonia agassizii is listed as a full species by Wikipedia, but the scientific community identifies the Galapagos sea turtles and all other populations of green sea turtles by the name Chelonia mydas. http://www.seaturtle.org/mtn/archives/mtn72/mtn72p2b.shtml

sauroid

are these sets rare now? i have volume one complete boxed set.

stemturtle

Quote from: sauroid on August 09, 2017, 07:49:39 AM
are these sets rare now? i have volume one complete boxed set.

Yes, sauroid, these sets are rare. I bought mine through Brett, member brettnj. I recommend that you send him a message to put in a request. Good luck.  :)

postsaurischian

:D Beautiful Colorata turtles!

Quote from: stemturtle on August 08, 2017, 09:33:19 PM

Colorata also sold a box of the adult sea turtles without the hatchlings. See reply #16 by postsaurischian on this thread.

This link coerced me into re-uploading my pics in this thread ;D .... which I did.

.... still a lot is missing :'(.

stemturtle

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 11, 2017, 10:44:37 PM
  :D Beautiful Colorata turtles!

Quote from: stemturtle on August 08, 2017, 09:33:19 PM

This link coerced me into re-uploading my pics in this thread ;D .... which I did.

.... still a lot is missing :'(.

Thanks, postsaurischian. Great to see your beautiful photos reloaded.  :)

Takama

Galapagos Tortoise

Takama

Isidro

Now in my hands! I bought it today at a store. It's a fantastic figurine, I love the accurateness of the eye position and the double toothed beak (absent in some other figurines of the species in other brands). It's my first reptile too (I have not much to choose in reptiles since most figurines are too large for my scale acceptance). I'm happy, yay!

Beetle guy

To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Walkaround of the desert tortoise, Gopherus morafkai Murphy et al., 2011 by Safari LTD, Wild Safari - North American Wildlife (2010). In 2011, G. agassizii Cooper, 1863 was split into two species. While this figure is not marketed at the species level, I chose G. morafkai since it is the species native to where I grew up in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona (traditional G. agassizii is endemic to the Mohave Desert of California, Nevada, and extreme western Arizona).

The figure's carapace measures 6.0 cm, putting it in the 1:4-1:6 size range. This figure does not scale well with other 'standard-sized' figures, but it is unique at the species level for standard figures (some TOOBs/tubes have smaller figures that may scale better but are not as detailed).

stargatedalek

Aah, the mythical "Safari / Schleich tortoise" makes a return. I have one of these that's labelled Schleich. IIRC they even went and mislabeled it "giant tortoise".

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 15, 2019, 01:44:28 AM
Aah, the mythical "Safari / Schleich tortoise" makes a return. I have one of these that's labelled Schleich. IIRC they even went and mislabeled it "giant tortoise".

Ahhhh...I have seen this sculpt advertised as a Schleich Giant Tortoise, and thought it was an advertising error. Well, mine is marked Safari LTD, Miami, FL, Desert Tortoise, and 2010  ;D

And frankly, looks a lot more like a desert tortoise than a Galapagos or Aldabra giant tortoise.

stargatedalek

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 15, 2019, 01:48:13 AM

Ahhhh...I have seen this sculpt advertised as a Schleich Giant Tortoise, and thought it was an advertising error. Well, mine is marked Safari LTD, Miami, FL, Desert Tortoise, and 2010  ;D

And frankly, looks a lot more like a desert tortoise than a Galapagos or Aldabra giant tortoise.
It makes for a far more convincing desert tortoise. Safari also seems to have fine tuned the paint work after the earlier Schleich release. Does Safari often buy molds from other manufacturers? I recall reading that at one point they had bought some molds from AAA which was where many of their life sized reptiles had come from.

https://i.postimg.cc/gjVhVhX3/IMG-3485.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/sf75dk61/IMG-3483.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/28xv34fD/IMG-3484.jpg

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 25, 2019, 10:03:39 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 15, 2019, 01:48:13 AM

It makes for a far more convincing desert tortoise. Safari also seems to have fine tuned the paint work after the earlier Schleich release. Does Safari often buy molds from other manufacturers? I recall reading that at one point they had bought some molds from AAA which was where many of their life sized reptiles had come from.

https://i.postimg.cc/gjVhVhX3/IMG-3485.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/sf75dk61/IMG-3483.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/28xv34fD/IMG-3484.jpg

Schleich and Safari have swapped molds before. For example, some of the Safari LTD Wildlife Wonders figures were sold in Europe under Schleich. I cannot say which company designed the original figure(s).

According to the stamps on the bottom, the Schleich figure came out a year before the Safari figure. The Schleich figure is marked '08, which means it came out in 2009. The Safari figure came out in 2010.

stemturtle

The wood turtle, Glyptemys insculpta, by Haiby Sakura is the crown jewel of my collection. The artist sells a line of resin models in Japan called My Favorite Animals. Thanks to @brettnj for his assistance with the purchase. Carapace length of 2.4 in. or 6.1 cm. is a scale of about 1:3. This species is threatened in Minnesota. I have encountered individuals in the wild only a handful of times.

@bmathison1972 created a thread for My Favorite Animals .

Beetle guy

That is really a nice figurine @stemturtle ! A great sculpter. I have one poison dart frog (Dendrobates auratus) from this artist. Like this one really special!
To beetle or not to beetle.