News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Toymany idea of making products.

Started by Kenc, May 17, 2024, 03:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerAndrew

A set of cetaceans with unusual species would be wellcome.

stargatedalek

Outside your usual wheelhouse, but extinct fish are rarely done. So a set of themed fish and one similar extinct fish among them might be a neat idea. IE; a set of open ocean fish, mahi mahi, a tuna, a flying fish, wahoo, salmon shark, and Bananogmius.

You could do the same for terrestrial animals too, IE a set of vultures that includes an Argentavis, or a set of crocodiles that includes a Purussaurus, but personally I find the fish more compelling.

Sim

My desired figures are almost evenly split between land and sea animals.  I'd be interested in both.  Although I don't think I'd be interested in any mammal figures as I already have all the mammal species I want.  Well, there is one mammal I would like a figure of, but it's extinct: Basilosaurus.  This and @stargatedalek's suggestions of making extinct animals makes me wonder, will Toymany make prehistoric animals too?  There's quite a lot of those I'd like a figure of and I think making prehistoric animals is something Toymany could excel at!

Kenc

Thanks for all the suggestions

We are sorry to say that we will not consider cetaceans and sharks as new products in the near future, because we already have similar products, and this year our focus is to start development towards new species.

A long time ago we made a set of prehistoric animals, which were dinosaurs and some reptiles, but the feedback wasn't very good at that time because there were too many dinosaurs on the market.

There was a motion to make a set of extinct animals in China, such as the Chinese sturgeon, white-headed langur, and Yangzi crocodile.

Fish is a good suggestion, I've seen the one @sbell sbell posted, it's beautiful, the paint colors are vibrant and the size is a bit bigger, it's a good challenge

sbell

Quote from: Kenc on May 28, 2024, 02:16:22 AMThanks for all the suggestions

We are sorry to say that we will not consider cetaceans and sharks as new products in the near future, because we already have similar products, and this year our focus is to start development towards new species.

A long time ago we made a set of prehistoric animals, which were dinosaurs and some reptiles, but the feedback wasn't very good at that time because there were too many dinosaurs on the market.

There was a motion to make a set of extinct animals in China, such as the Chinese sturgeon, white-headed langur, and Yangzi crocodile.

Fish is a good suggestion, I've seen the one @sbell sbell posted, it's beautiful, the paint colors are vibrant and the size is a bit bigger, it's a good challenge

There are lots of prehistoric animals that could use a well-sculpted figure!

But if fish are something you'd be intrigued with, I have some experience with freshwater (and other) fish models and the development of their sets. I would be glad to share what I know one-on-one (I don't want to hijack a thread here!) but there are some lists and potentials that have a lot of possibility

stargatedalek

A set of recently extinct Chinese species would be a lovely choice!

sbell

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 28, 2024, 03:27:17 AMA set of recently extinct Chinese species would be a lovely choice!

I failed to agree with that before, but I certainly do think there are many interesting extinct Chinese species. Can't forget the Chinese paddlefish and baiji dolphin.
And the Chinese sturgeon isn't actually extinct... but the Yangtze sturgeon is (in the wild) and nobody has made a figure of it yet!

SerAndrew

Quote from: Kenc on May 28, 2024, 02:16:22 AMThanks for all the suggestions

If you are going with fishes, I'd suggest avoiding species made by japanese brands before. The quality level of those is SO high and most collectors with access to those (like me, for example) will not consider any replacement. For example mahi has already been made by Colorata. But I can think of sailfish, tarpon, PIKE (I know this is freshwater, but would really like one), etc.

Anyway, I don't believe I'm saying this, but I'd be more for non-fish sets. There are a bunch of small mammals never done in toy form that can be very benefitial for you: coati, agouti, fossa, jaguarundi, binturong, ... I'm pretty sure that would be an instant purchase for most of us here, but may also appeal the public.

Sim

Thanks for the update @Kenc! :)  It's great to have you here.  I'm looking forward to bird figures and maybe more crocodilian figures from Toymany then!

With regards to prehistoric animals, my guess is that there's not much interest in species already done well, e.g. Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Diplodocus...  But on the Dinosaur Toy Forum there's a lot of interest in certain species that lack adequate representation, such as:
1. Herrerasaurus.  This appears to sell well as Mattel made a number of action figures of it.
2. Plateosaurus.  This is the most requested prehistoric animal on the Dinosaur Toy Forum!  It's well-known too but it lacks a modern figure that shows how awesome it is!
2. Gallimimus.  This is a popular dinosaur that's well-known by the general public due to appearing in Jurassic Park, yet it lacks an accurate figure of it.
3. Zhenyuanlong.  A long-legged and large-winged raptor!  It's very impressive!
4. A terror bird.  I'd suggest Kelenken as it's one of the largest and has a well-preserved skull.

sbell

Quote from: SerAndrew on May 28, 2024, 08:01:58 AMAnyway, I don't believe I'm saying this, but I'd be more for non-fish sets. There are a bunch of small mammals never done in toy form that can be very benefitial for you: coati, agouti, fossa, jaguarundi, binturong, ... I'm pretty sure that would be an instant purchase for most of us here, but may also appeal the public.

I truly enjoy your list of mammals there!

SerAndrew

Quote from: sbell on May 28, 2024, 08:53:58 PM
Quote from: SerAndrew on May 28, 2024, 08:01:58 AMAnyway, I don't believe I'm saying this, but I'd be more for non-fish sets. There are a bunch of small mammals never done in toy form that can be very benefitial for you: coati, agouti, fossa, jaguarundi, binturong, ... I'm pretty sure that would be an instant purchase for most of us here, but may also appeal the public.

Yeah, it's surprising that some of those have never been made...

Saarlooswolfhound

Smaller cats and dogs would very welcome I think. Especially since a lot of small cats have gotten very popular for memes and the like (pallas cat, sand cat, etc.).

Extinct chinese animals would be excellent, could even brand it as a "tribute" series. A Yangtze giant softshell, chinese sturgeon and paddlefish, Caspian tiger, finless porpoise, baiji dolphin, I mean there are tons of things to choose from. I think it'd be a great tribute to them.

I also like Sbell's idea of reviving Replica Toy Fish or at least trying to do something similar. River Monsters waz a very popular tv show and many if those species would be welcome to collector's shelves.

Smaller Australian marsupials would be a great niche as well, certainly would be eyecatching to even the layperson.

sbell

Quote from: SerAndrew on May 28, 2024, 09:14:46 PM
Quote from: sbell on May 28, 2024, 08:53:58 PM

Yeah, it's surprising that some of those have never been made...

Well, I have a coati (Nayab), 2 fossa (wild Republic and Yowies), and a Binturong (Play Visions, and there's some nice 3d printable models) but none would be considered 'great', they're essentially bin toys.

Having a decent model of them from a company that can make figures like those primates... that would be amazing.

Kenc

Update---

Thanks for the advice, yesterday I told the designer about the marine class and fish idea. He showed me seahorses and rays (I wasn't sure if they were rays or not).

Then he sculpted a plain fish based on his impression without reference pictures. Very plain indeed... He said he would choose some fish with character to try afterward.

sbell

@Kenc your sculptor is amazing!

If I send you the list of fish species that were planned for the failed Toy Fish Factory (it was such a loss) would it help with some ideas? There were some awesome ideas but they weren't able to pull it off.

Saarlooswolfhound

Those all look great, its amazing that your sculptor can have a discussion with you and then produce 3 figures just like that!

@sbell, I vote that you just message @Kenc, even if they produced just one figure from the previously planned sets it would be worth it!

sbell

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on May 29, 2024, 03:06:35 AMThose all look great, its amazing that your sculptor can have a discussion with you and then produce 3 figures just like that!

@sbell, I vote that you just message @Kenc, even if they produced just one figure from the previously planned sets it would be worth it!

(I just don't want to be a pest... there's been a lot of requests since they got here!)

Alopias superciliosus

Love the cownose ray! If more sharks are not in the near future (the main thing I collect), at least glad that some shark relatives may be included! Would love other rays or guitarfish (the latter of which don't ever get figures besides the bowmouth guitarfish... not to keep piling on suggestions, but I might suggest Rhynchobatus djiddensis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_guitarfish) or Pseudobatos productus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shovelnose_guitarfish))  ^-^

Isidro

Oh, in the background of the clownfish image I'm seeing the tail and posterior body of what looks like a sailfish????? (with too big fins, but may be still to be cropped?) Giving the not very good quality of Papo sailfish and the too small size or absolute impossibility of getting Japanese brands sailfishes, if the result is very good I may end getting this ToyMany sailfish!

EpicRaptorMan

Would love a batray. Currently the only batray is from a SafariLtd TOOB.

I had actually commissioned a private sculptor to make me one, but after paying half upfront the dude vanished after months. So oof on that.