News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd. - New for 2023

Started by bmathison1972, January 27, 2023, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerAndrew

Nice toob, but not for me...
They make interesting species in toob form, but they dont have the detail enough to enter my standard sized collection.
I only have some (repainted) birds from the backyard toob.

And I dont collect IC or the big sized figures either, so nothing for me this week.

So let's see in the upcoming ones.

Anyway, it takes me down a lot that to have these novelties in Europe we will have to wait like 2 years... I dont understand why Safari is not shipping worldwide as long as the customer is willing to pay the cost. Also, they have an official eBay shop shipping anywhere but thet just have some toobs listed! Why not including all their range?

bmathison1972

Quote from: SerAndrew on August 02, 2023, 07:35:14 PMAnyway, it takes me down a lot that to have these novelties in Europe we will have to wait like 2 years... I dont understand why Safari is not shipping worldwide as long as the customer is willing to pay the cost. Also, they have an official eBay shop shipping anywhere but thet just have some toobs listed! Why not including all their range?

It's just as hard for us to get good CollectA in the US sometimes as it is for you to get Safari in Europe. That's why many of us order our CollectA from Australia... Not everything easily ships everywhere.

Saarlooswolfhound

I am very pleased to see all these species present. :) I personally was hoping that other alligator like tail was indeed an American crocodile... glad it came true and this wonderful and rare species has one more example in toy form. My Yowies will be thrilled to have a cohort. Can't wait for the next week!

From the sounds of it, you worked very closely on this toob and fought for species representation @Shane. I would like to thank you for your contribution. :D I for one, love this new set.

EpicRaptorMan

I can appreciate having both the American alligator and the American crocodile in the TOOB.

SerAndrew

Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 02, 2023, 07:54:14 PM
Quote from: SerAndrew on August 02, 2023, 07:35:14 PMAnyway, it takes me down a lot that to have these novelties in Europe we will have to wait like 2 years... I dont understand why Safari is not shipping worldwide as long as the customer is willing to pay the cost. Also, they have an official eBay shop shipping anywhere but thet just have some toobs listed! Why not including all their range?

It's just as hard for us to get good CollectA in the US sometimes as it is for you to get Safari in Europe. That's why many of us order our CollectA from Australia... Not everything easily ships everywhere.

This is not a competition but Australia (=Minizoo) also takes 1-2 years to have the Safari novelties. Ah, and CollectA reaches Australia way before Europe!

doug watson

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on August 01, 2023, 04:22:06 PMThat is a lovely elk bull. My only critique is that the antlers seem thin overall, they should be a bit thicker in the main beam and at the base of each tine. BUT he is handsome for sure!

I debated answering this, I hope I don't regret it. This Elk is mine and I take pride in researching all my figures prehistoric or contemporary. Elk antlers vary widely from one individual to another. They also vary in size depending on the age. There is no one size or shape. I just went back to my reference and I have 90 images on file and I can't find two that are identical in size or configuration. I have lots that are thinner but I didn't find any that are thicker and when I sculpt them I check thicknesses and lengths with proportional dividers not just my eyes. There are also some with very short tines and some with very long tines and some in-between. Anyway here is the production piece plus from my reference the first one with antlers at least as thick as mine and and another one that has thinner beams and tines. These two have longer tines than mine but I have images of Bulls with shorter tines than mine.

Saarlooswolfhound

Hi Doug!

You won't get any grief from me, I really appreciate your willingness to engage on my comment. I think what I can describe now is not that the antlers are too thin (I am a great proponent of advocating that in real life animals have just as much variation as people do! No 2 are identical) but I think its antler color they chose instead. By making it a paler tan set against the white background the countershading of light is making the antlers appear thinner than they actually are in the beam. I didn't mean any disrespect with my comment, it was just what I originally noticed. I too would have preferred the face stay a darker brown too rather than have the lighter shading, but these are 1) aesthetic and 2) choices made not by you, but by Safari themselves. You have indeed produced a very nice WW bull elk model that I will purchase sometime. I grew up with these animals and feel a very strong affinity with them, I am truly excited to see another Rocky Mountain elk model in this hobby. I apologize for any anxiety I inadvertently caused for you when deciding whether or not to reply.

Gwangi

I think the elk is absolutely beautiful but aside from the American alligator I don't collect Wild Wildlife figures, they're just too large. I wasn't going to collect TOOBs or the IC line either but that didn't really work out.  ^-^

From what has been revealed so far I want the...

Rattlesnake
Axolotl
Silky Shark
Everglades TOOB
Grey Parrot
Type D Orca
Arctic Fox
Mountain Lion
Emerald Tree Boa

That's already quite the list!

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on August 03, 2023, 12:20:18 AMI think the elk is absolutely beautiful but aside from the American alligator I don't collect Wild Wildlife figures, they're just too large. I wasn't going to collect TOOBs or the IC line either but that didn't really work out.  ^-^

Rattlesnake
Axolotl
Silky Shark
Everglades TOOB
Grey Parrot
Type D Orca
Arctic Fox
Mountain Lion
Emerald Tree Boa

I updated my list on the '2023 to Purchase Thread' but mine is good too:
Everglades TOOB
European TOOB
Australian TOOB
African Grey Parrot
Great Grey Owl
Silky Shark
Utahraptor
Majungasaurus

I would have gotten the mountain lion, Arctic fox, and Estemmenosuchus if I didn't already have good representatives of those species.

EpicRaptorMan

Quote from:
I believe @Isidro and myself are looking for a figure that matches this individual the best.
That pose with the antlers stretching halfway down the back is just too iconic.

If the new figure was more standard size I would heavily consider it and just perform a minor repaint on the face/antlers.

bmathison1972

First post updated with this week's reveals!

sphyrna18

All the new reveals look fantastic!  I'll be adding them all to my collection - every single one!  Any info on the Wild Wildlife Elk scale?  Is it 1:15 or 1:10?  If I remember correctly, the Moose was 1:15 as was the Bison.  It would be pretty epic to have the Elk in the same scale!  Regardless, I'll be picking it up and adding it to my collection.  Excellent sculpt, Doug!  Keep 'em coming!

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 03, 2023, 12:29:03 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on August 03, 2023, 12:20:18 AMI think the elk is absolutely beautiful but aside from the American alligator I don't collect Wild Wildlife figures, they're just too large. I wasn't going to collect TOOBs or the IC line either but that didn't really work out.  ^-^

Rattlesnake
Axolotl
Silky Shark
Everglades TOOB
Grey Parrot
Type D Orca
Arctic Fox
Mountain Lion
Emerald Tree Boa

I updated my list on the '2023 to Purchase Thread' but mine is good too:
Everglades TOOB
European TOOB
Australian TOOB
African Grey Parrot
Great Grey Owl
Silky Shark
Utahraptor
Majungasaurus

I would have gotten the mountain lion, Arctic fox, and Estemmenosuchus if I didn't already have good representatives of those species.

The Utahraptor is on my list too.  ^-^

Isidro

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on August 03, 2023, 12:45:21 AMI believe @Isidro and myself are looking for a figure that matches this individual the best.
That pose with the antlers stretching halfway down the back is just too iconic.

Indeed, the figure I wish for this species is the mythical and very difficult to get (from Europe) Treehouse Kids elk, that have this pose. However I see that the new Safari elk is a very really great improvement over the old Safari elk both in proportions and paintjob. And I disagree the antlers are too thin, instead, the legs are too thick, but this is a common issue for many ungulate figures from any brand, just for safety reasons (thus making legs not so bendable, more durable and more safe for kids).

Shane

Quote from: sphyrna18 on August 03, 2023, 01:04:14 AMAll the new reveals look fantastic!  I'll be adding them all to my collection - every single one!  Any info on the Wild Wildlife Elk scale?  Is it 1:15 or 1:10?  If I remember correctly, the Moose was 1:15 as was the Bison.  It would be pretty epic to have the Elk in the same scale!  Regardless, I'll be picking it up and adding it to my collection.  Excellent sculpt, Doug!  Keep 'em coming!

I believe it is 1:12 or 1:13.

Shane

Quote from: Isidro on August 03, 2023, 05:13:12 AMIndeed, the figure I wish for this species is the mythical and very difficult to get (from Europe) Treehouse Kids elk, that have this pose. However I see that the new Safari elk is a very really great improvement over the old Safari elk both in proportions and paintjob. And I disagree the antlers are too thin, instead, the legs are too thick, but this is a common issue for many ungulate figures from any brand, just for safety reasons (thus making legs not so bendable, more durable and more safe for kids).

It is for safety, but also for stability and durability. The figure needs to stand, and not wilt or droop over time. Also when kids play, the legs and feet become a point of impact, so thicker legs help to avoid damage and breakage that results from play.

JimoAi

tbh safari could just upscale the croc and gator to the standard size range and call them new releases since they're THAT good

doug watson

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on August 02, 2023, 10:45:04 PMHi Doug!

You won't get any grief from me, I really appreciate your willingness to engage on my comment. I think what I can describe now is not that the antlers are too thin (I am a great proponent of advocating that in real life animals have just as much variation as people do! No 2 are identical) but I think its antler color they chose instead. By making it a paler tan set against the white background the countershading of light is making the antlers appear thinner than they actually are in the beam. I didn't mean any disrespect with my comment, it was just what I originally noticed. I too would have preferred the face stay a darker brown too rather than have the lighter shading, but these are 1) aesthetic and 2) choices made not by you, but by Safari themselves. You have indeed produced a very nice WW bull elk model that I will purchase sometime. I grew up with these animals and feel a very strong affinity with them, I am truly excited to see another Rocky Mountain elk model in this hobby. I apologize for any anxiety I inadvertently caused for you when deciding whether or not to reply.

Thank you for being open to my argument. I used to engage more on the DTF and for the most part when I presented my reference people would appreciate the information. Some people even made me aware of new information from studies that I wasn't aware of and I admitted to not being aware. Unfortunately there were a couple occasions where I presented the information that I was working from and the poster would not even address my reference, wouldn't move off of their position and would just keep repeating it. That is what frustrated me and has lead to less interaction and also my hesitance in this instance it wasn't anything you said.

sphyrna18

Quote from: Shane on August 03, 2023, 01:15:20 PM
Quote from: sphyrna18 on August 03, 2023, 01:04:14 AMAll the new reveals look fantastic!  I'll be adding them all to my collection - every single one!  Any info on the Wild Wildlife Elk scale?  Is it 1:15 or 1:10?  If I remember correctly, the Moose was 1:15 as was the Bison.  It would be pretty epic to have the Elk in the same scale!  Regardless, I'll be picking it up and adding it to my collection.  Excellent sculpt, Doug!  Keep 'em coming!

I believe it is 1:12 or 1:13.
Thank you, Shane.

Saarlooswolfhound

Quote from: doug watson on August 03, 2023, 03:58:11 PM
Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on August 02, 2023, 10:45:04 PMHi Doug!

Thank you for being open to my argument. I used to engage more on the DTF and for the most part when I presented my reference people would appreciate the information. Some people even made me aware of new information from studies that I wasn't aware of and I admitted to not being aware. Unfortunately there were a couple occasions where I presented the information that I was working from and the poster would not even address my reference, wouldn't move off of their position and would just keep repeating it. That is what frustrated me and has lead to less interaction and also my hesitance in this instance it wasn't anything you said.

No, no, thank you. You had similar things happen on STS several years ago and at the time, the aggressive member did the same as you describe (it was over your regaliceratops if I remember right). I wasn't a moderator then, but it bothered me that the discussion got out of hand and that it (understandably so) repelled you from future discourse there (that member has not been active on STS for years now). I appreciate all your work and most especially the occassions when you do interact with the collecting community. As a novice artist myself I understand the concept of artistic license but also trying to do X subject justice with sculpting or paintwork, especially the individual variability between specimens. I can understand too the research aspect of it, albeit I am certain yours is much more extensive and serious in your line of work. Thank you for your reply, and I hope to see you around on occassion. :)