News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd. - New for 2023

Started by bmathison1972, January 27, 2023, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Quote from: Shane on August 01, 2023, 08:25:12 PM
Quote from: JimoAi on August 01, 2023, 04:50:47 PMI guess the toob will be revealed tomorrow :D

Correct.

It's been interesting seeing the guesses here, some close, others not so close. All will be revealed tomorrow.

This one is near and dear to me, I hope everyone is excited to see it.

if it has at least three things I can use I'll get it. But a purple gallinule and a Florida softshell turtle would probably be enough for me to get it regardless LOL.

BTW I have been meaning to say, none of the tails look crocodilian to me. But I have swung and missed many times in these guesses. Hard to believe a Florida/Everglades TOOB wouldn't have a crocodilian, but ya never know!

stargatedalek

Both tails have a sort of ridged outline to them, so I'm not sure what else they could be besides crocodilians unless they're including some non-natives.

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 01, 2023, 10:35:27 PMBoth tails have a sort of ridged outline to them, so I'm not sure what else they could be besides crocodilians unless they're including some non-natives.

I thought they looked too tapered and cylindrical, but after studying photos of alligators online, I see they do take that form terminally. The greenish tail does indeed look more alligator-like now.
But whatever, we'll know by tomorrow I think lol

JimoAi

Quote from: Shane on August 01, 2023, 08:25:12 PM
Quote from: JimoAi on August 01, 2023, 04:50:47 PMI guess the toob will be revealed tomorrow :D

Correct.

It's been interesting seeing the guesses here, some close, others not so close. All will be revealed tomorrow.

This one is near and dear to me, I hope everyone is excited to see it.

I hope that the stingray is at least close but I'm confident in saying the alligator, gar, cougar, bear, soft shell turtle and manatee are 100% correct guesses

JimoAi

after looking at pics and rereading @Gwangi's review, I'm am really tempted to buy the European Toob just for the catfish and the eel. the catfish couple probably be related species in the same genus but a smaller species and the eel is good on its own and replaces the hogshaite quality of the old Kaiyodo mottled eel

EpicRaptorMan

Yeah as another user said the antlers do look rather thin on the elk. Especially when compared to it's legs.

I like this sculpt better than the old one, but being part of the WildWildlife branch it is definitely too large for my liking.

JimoAi

https://www.safariltd.com/collections/new-releases/products/everglades-toob

it's out. sad there's isn't a ray but the figures all look great! also wasn't expecting 11 figures

bmathison1972

OMG OMG OMG!! Yes!!

I was silently expecting the blue tail at the far right of the teaser pic to be a snake, but wasn't sure which!

OK, definately getting this TOOB. The softshell turtle, snail kite, Florida gar (species confirmed on Safari's site), and eastern indigo snake going into my synoptic collection!!! Maybe the wood stork and otter, depending on how big they are in-hand (I really want to replace my Safari NAW otter). I have noticed that these TOOBs with 10+ figures, the figures tend to be smaller (compare the recent European and Australian TOOBs).

Safari hit a home run here!

I'll try to update the first post with this week's reveals tonight or tomorrow.

Shane

Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 02, 2023, 02:33:53 PMOMG OMG OMG!! Yes!!

I was silently expecting the blue tail at the far right of the teaser pic to be a snake, but wasn't sure which!

OK, definately getting this TOOB. The softshell turtle, snail kite, Florida gar (species confirmed on Safari's site), and eastern indigo snake going into my synoptic collection!!! Maybe the wood stork and otter, depending on how big they are in-hand (I really want to replace my Safari NAW otter). I have noticed that these TOOBs with 10+ figures, the figures tend to be smaller (compare the recent European and Australian TOOBs).

Safari hit a home run here!

I'll try to update the first post with this week's reveals tonight or tomorrow.

Happy to see the positive response.

Just for your info:
- Wood Stork is 2.25 inches tall
- Otter is 3.5 inches long

This TOOB means a lot to me, since it's a place I grew up around, visited countless times in my life, and I have a particular affinity for it.

I'm happy it was able to feature so many figures in that are underrepresented (or not represented at all) in toy form (Wood Stork, Snail Kite, American Crocodile, FL Softshell, FL Gar).

I worked to make sure the gar is accurate to a FL Gar (as opposed to a Spotted Gar). I stressed the importance to keep both Alligator and Crocodile in the TOOB. The only thing I'd probably have wanted is to have included more birds, but I think the birds that are included are good representatives of the ecosystem.

bmathison1972

I never engage in 'the TOOB should have had this' discussions. I am happy with what they have. That being said, the entomologist in me would have liked a butterfly, maybe a zebra longwing  ::)

I was fooled by the bird. In the teaser pic, the kite looked really purple, hence my theory of a purple gallinule. And while I really wanted a purple gallinule, I am more than satisfied with what's here.

The otter sounds like a good size to replace the NAW model! it will scale well with my Eurasian (Papo) and Asian (Kaiyodo) species

Shane

I know it's not *technically* an animal, but if anyone is interested, the Convention Exclusive GITD Mothman is available for the next 3 days on Safari's site.

https://www.safariltd.com/collections/new-releases/products/glow-in-the-dark-mothman-sdcc-exclusive

There's still a $25 minimum purchase in effect, but if you still haven't grabbed the original Mothman, you could get both and it would put you over the limit.

JimoAi

the previous 2 toobs are big step up for safari but this Florida Toob puts both to shame in a good way. love how more of the figures have irises and pupils instead of just a black pupil. Also a Florida gar over an alligator gar?! how perculiar I sworn I've mistaken the gar for an alligator prior to reading the descriptions. Also the softshell turtle and the alligator is a major improvement over the ones I had as a kid which was the alligators alive Toob and they are still good figures and the otter is a huge improvement too! overall this looks to be the best detailed Toob safari has put out so far though I won't get it immediately since there isn't much I need right now but I'll prolly get this after the European toob! I hope to see more sea life Toob from safari as whirl the recent toobs are great, I do feel sad there hasn't been alot of fish or sea life since the dolphins and the pelagic fish toob

bmathison1972

I wouldn't say any of these TOOBs put others to shame. They are all special in their own way and cater to different peoples' collecting habits. Personally every TOOB since 2019 or so (the latest Dolphins and Whales TOOBs) has been fantastic, even those I haven't collected. it's like a new era in miniatures, alongside the revamped Yowies and Eikoh. These will be sought after some day like Play Visions and Club Earth from the 1990s in years to come.

Gwangi

A very exciting TOOB! I think this may be the best TOOB of the year, although I still like the European one a lot. I'm most excited about the indigo snake, softshell turtle, Florida gar, and snail kite. But the otter and woodstork are exciting too. And it's cool that we're getting an American crocodile. Maybe we'll get a larger one someday?

@Shane, I understand your excitement over this TOOB as I felt much the same way about the Great Lakes TOOB. I'll feel it again if Safari ever makes a Chesapeake Bay TOOB.  ;) 

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on August 02, 2023, 04:28:39 PMA very exciting TOOB! I think this may be the best TOOB of the year, although I still like the European one a lot. I'm most excited about the indigo snake, softshell turtle, Florida gar, and snail kite. But the otter and woodstork are exciting too. And it's cool that we're getting an American crocodile. Maybe we'll get a larger one someday?

@Shane, I understand your excitement over this TOOB as I felt much the same way about the Great Lakes TOOB. I'll feel it again if Safari ever makes a Chesapeake Bay TOOB.  ;) 

...or me a Sonoran Desert TOOB  ;D

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 02, 2023, 04:32:42 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on August 02, 2023, 04:28:39 PMA very exciting TOOB! I think this may be the best TOOB of the year, although I still like the European one a lot. I'm most excited about the indigo snake, softshell turtle, Florida gar, and snail kite. But the otter and woodstork are exciting too. And it's cool that we're getting an American crocodile. Maybe we'll get a larger one someday?

They did do a unspecified American desert TOOB but I can understand if you want something matching their modern standards.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on August 02, 2023, 04:37:00 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 02, 2023, 04:32:42 PM

They did do a unspecified American desert TOOB but I can understand if you want something matching their modern standards.

the only thing I have from that Desert TOOB is the scorpion; everything else I have good 'standard-sized' versions of.

Shane

Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 02, 2023, 03:02:31 PMI was fooled by the bird. In the teaser pic, the kite looked really purple, hence my theory of a purple gallinule. And while I really wanted a purple gallinule, I am more than satisfied with what's here.

A purple gallinule would have certainly been a nice inclusion, it's a very cool bird to see in the Everglades.

Unfortunately, in the last 10 or 15 years or so invasive purple swamphens have been moving into south and central Florida, and I'm worried about them competing with purple gallinules. I used to see the purple swamphens on the side of the highway in the sawgrass when I lived in south Florida, and there's a pretty sizable grouping of swamphens in Stick Marsh in Fellsmere (one of the best places to see snail kites, and also occasionally harriers and caracaras).

BlueKrono

As usual, I only want the one figure from the toob: the gar. Then I turn around and try to sell all the rest for $5 and nobody bites.
I like turtles.

bmathison1972

I think I saw Purple Gallinule when I did an alligator boat tour in the Everglades several years ago. I don't officially have it on my life list yet, as I can't remember. And for all I know, it may have been a swamphen?

But I also still need to see the Purple Swamphen (even if introduced) and snail kite. We get Northern Harriers here in Utah, so I've seen those a few times.