News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd. - New for 2023

Started by bmathison1972, January 27, 2023, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 09, 2023, 07:35:56 PMI thought it was a shiba for sure with that angle, sneaky! Hehe

Safari released a Shiba in 2022, in case you weren't aware of it! https://www.safariltd.com/products/shiba-inu-toy-dog-figure

bmathison1972

I'll probably end up getting the Shiba Inu as well

EpicRaptorMan

A lot of countries around the world are beginning to ban pugs.

stargatedalek

I understand they have some serious health issues, but outright bans sound a bit extreme. Bans on deliberate breeding of purebreeds I could see though.

Gwangi

I don't like the propagation of purebreds with health problems and obvious malformations that impact the animal's quality of life. So I definitely have opinions about pugs. Maybe instead of banning or culling the breeds it would be better to just breed a healthier version of it. A lot of these breeds were once healthier and more natural looking than they are now. I was recently looking into Boston terriers and discovered that there are now "long-snouted" Boston terriers out there. They're still short, but not as drastically short as most Boston terriers. If I ever got one I would look for the long snouted version. I like everything about the breed aside from the brachycephalism. 

Anyway, back on topic. That's a great looking pug but I don't collect dog breeds.

Saarlooswolfhound

I'm the same Gwangi. Luckily there is a wave with modern pet owners that they want healthier breeds that represent the examples of them from a century ago. Boston terriers, English bulldogs, etc. are "getting their faces back" with the attempt to breed longer noses. The rottweiler is getting its tail back (being rebred into the breed as well as not docking those born with full tails). These are extreme examples, there are other breeds who need help too like German shepherds and labradors etc.  These improvements will see better health overall. If you want to know WHY these common breeds are unhealthy, all you have to is look at a skull or full skeleton of a breed that better represents the "wild type" body and then look at an English bulldog's skull and skeleton... Health was a consideration when I got my own "purebreed" dog. I have a rescued American cocker spaniel and a Decker rat terrier. The latter hasn't been overbred, much less for looks, so overall they are very healthy dogs.

I could go on and on as canines are my specialty but I will digress here. ;)

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on August 10, 2023, 03:46:56 AMI'm the same Gwangi. Luckily there is a wave with modern pet owners that they want healthier breeds that represent the examples of them from a century ago. Boston terriers, English bulldogs, etc. are "getting their faces back" with the attempt to breed longer noses. The rottweiler is getting its tail back (being rebred into the breed as well as not docking those born with full tails). These are extreme examples, there are other breeds who need help too like German shepherds and labradors etc.  These improvements will see better health overall. If you want to know WHY these common breeds are unhealthy, all you have to is look at a skull or full skeleton of a breed that better represents the "wild type" body and then look at an English bulldog's skull and skeleton... Health was a consideration when I got my own "purebreed" dog. I have a rescued American cocker spaniel and a Decker rat terrier. The latter hasn't been overbred, much less for looks, so overall they are very healthy dogs.

I could go on and on as canines are my specialty but I will digress here. ;)

Yes, I suppose we should stay on topic. Just wanted to add that I have seen the skulls and skeletons of many dog breeds and they're usually nightmarishly horrifying. You cannot look at the skull of a bulldog or pug and tell me it's ethical to keep breeding them like that. Same for the posture of something like a German shepherd.

JimoAi

Saarlooswolfhound

TWO mermaids! That's fun! These will sell well in any coastal town I have been to. ;)

Gwangi

I figured the fishy tail thing being teased was a mermaid. Same year as the new Little Mermaid movie, naturally. My daughter prefers mermaids of the plush or Barbie variety.

bmathison1972

Last reveal is a Kentrosaurus: https://www.safariltd.com/collections/new-releases/products/kentrosaurus

Not sure if this is a new or reused sculpt (I haven't visited DTF yet).

I'll get the first post updated with the Kentrosaurus and Pug later today or the weekend

JimoAi

last reveal as in last safari reveal for this year or last for this week?

Shane

Quote from: JimoAi on August 11, 2023, 04:25:43 PMlast reveal as in last safari reveal for this year or last for this week?

There are more reveals in the coming weeks.

EpicRaptorMan

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvzwOhzM8NV/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Not DTF, but Safari LTD Kentrosaurus as we expected. Paintwork and facial detail seem a bit goofy imo

JimoAi

any updates on this week's reveal?

Shane

Should be a reveal today and then tomorrow, possibly more than one tomorrow.

SerAndrew

They announced a unicorn.
Very in line with the Kentrosaurus paint scheme  ;D

sbell

Quote from: SerAndrew on August 16, 2023, 01:36:47 PMThey announced a unicorn.

I saw it. Appears to be a repaint of one my daughter has from several years ago.

I have to say, it's disheartening with Safari.

For the broad market figure companies, they have among the best quality, best diversity, and best name recognition. But at some point they ceded ground to the likes of Schleich and the distribution, especially internationally, is so limited that they don't make the mark they should.

It's really bad in Canada, where they were getting a good grip before pulling distribution out to be direct through the US. Can't imagine it's easier in Europe (Asia and Australia have the Hong Kong distribution at least).
The worst is going to places in the US that don't carry Safari...or are surprisingly limited.
I generally need to wait until MiniZoo in Australia eventually gets stock... it's less expensive for me than ordering from Safari itself out of Florida.

But we on the other hand, I still buy what I want. As a rule, first runs only! Especially toobs

SerAndrew

Quote from: sbell on August 16, 2023, 02:45:54 PM
Quote from: SerAndrew on August 16, 2023, 01:36:47 PMThey announced a unicorn.

I saw it. Appears to be a repaint of one my daughter has from several years ago.

I have to say, it's disheartening with Safari.

For the broad market figure companies, they have among the best quality, best diversity, and best name recognition. But at some point they ceded ground to the likes of Schleich and the distribution, especially internationally, is so limited that they don't make the mark they should.

It's really bad in Canada, where they were getting a good grip before pulling distribution out to be direct through the US. Can't imagine it's easier in Europe (Asia and Australia have the Hong Kong distribution at least).
The worst is going to places in the US that don't carry Safari...or are surprisingly limited.
I generally need to wait until MiniZoo in Australia eventually gets stock... it's less expensive for me than ordering from Safari itself out of Florida.

But we on the other hand, I still buy what I want. As a rule, first runs only! Especially toobs

Yep, I've been raising this during all these weeks. Getting new releases is difficult in Europe. Only after a couple of years they start to pop-up.
This is sth I really don't understand. Safari store could just offer this option. If shipping is expensinve, that's up to the customer to accept or reject.
This is even more weird when you realize that they have an official eBay store (confirmed by Safari itself via email) shipping worlwide and only selling toobs!
Why the heck can they sold their whole range there? Or, at least, the novelties, given they will have lots of sales of people ourside UE.