Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stemturtle

Soil Organisms (Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Museum)

This set of 5 is made of flexible plastic, except for the rigid abdomen of the earwig.
The cricket and earwig are 2-part figures, while the other 3 are single-piece.
Sizes are approximate for total length. I bought this set on eBay.

Mole cricket, Gryllotalpa orientalis, 3 inches or 7.6 cm., scale 2:1

Maritime earwig, Anisolabis maritima, 2 3/4 inches or 7.0 cm., scale 2:1

Tardigrade, Echiniscus japonicus, 1 3/4 inches or 4.3 cm., scale 70:1

Japanese earthworm, Pheretima communissima, 2 3/4 inches or 7.0 cm., scale 1:1

Pill-bug, Armadillidum vulgare, 1 5/8 inches or 4.0 cm., scale 2:1

The pill-bug takes me back to my childhood, poking around in baby's tears plants.
Perhaps our expert members will offer detailed reviews in the future.

bmathison1972

Nice! Mine should be enroute. Glad they lived up to their publicity photos. A nice little collection of things not commonly (if at all) made in toy/figure form.

Jetoar

Wonderful new acquisitions  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Congrats, stemturtle! :) My set has just been shipped today. :)

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on April 23, 2015, 10:43:48 AM

the bad news is I prob dont get mine until July. The good news is it will be one of three arthropod sets. So I will get a lot at once :)

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on April 23, 2015, 11:14:13 AM
Quote from: brontodocus on April 23, 2015, 10:43:48 AM

the bad news is I prob dont get mine until July. The good news is it will be one of three arthropod sets. So I will get a lot at once :)

Same here (we must have the same source  ;))--I don't normally go for bugs, but come on--it has an earwig! And, it will be my third tardigrade, so there's that!

BugFolk

Collect A Small Tortoiseshell (off Amazon):

Underside is also painted, but I'll have to take another picture.

sauroid

awesome invertebrate figures everyone. :)

i got the complete Kaiyodo Hamster's Lunch set as well as the Kaiyodo Penguin Lunch set (altho one of the penguins has the wrong base and another is damaged w/ broken peg).

brontodocus

Congrats, sauroid! :) I once bought a Penguin Lunch set just because of the Great Auk!

Got a parcel from Japan, too:

Blaine, as I had expected, the Armadillidium vulgare is an entirely new sculpt and not a repaint of the Cubaris iriomotensis murina from the Animatales 7 Yaeyama set.  And as stemturtle already wrote, it doesn't need any assembly and consists of a softer, pliable plastic.

bmathison1972

Nice Andre, I may not get my soil inverts until July (unless I go with a different dealer).  By the way, does your Argentine ant have a weird appearance, as if it was exposed to something? I am sure it is the color but almost looks acid-washed in places...

Toady I received:

1) Japanese crayfish, blue form (Kaiyodo - Natural Monuments of Japan -- variant)
2) Giant peacock moth (Paleo Crafts - Little Treasures of Europe) This is made by Jetoar and I think is the prototype (and looks better than expected--more detail that didnt show up in the original images!!!)

Jetoar

Nice new acquistions friends. I am happy that  it arrived well and you like it ^-^. I decided to doanother for you finally. It looks better than the prototype also thanks to the new material. Could you do a review of this if you want? Your camera is better than mine it.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Congrats, Blaine - and excellent work, Jetoar! :)
Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 01, 2015, 12:28:13 AM
Nice Andre, I may not get my soil inverts until July (unless I go with a different dealer).  By the way, does your Argentine ant have a weird appearance, as if it was exposed to something? I am sure it is the color but almost looks acid-washed in places...
The Argentine Ant is cast from a translucent plastic and the base paint is not fully opaque. In fact, the degree of translucence is a bit different at different parts of the figure. The intersegmental membranes are painted on with a lighter but fully opaque colour. The head and abdomen of my figure contain a bubble inside which shines through and the right hind leg is darker than the others so I guess this may have contributed to a strange appearance. Here's another photo:

John

It's nice to see all these in-hand photos of these Japanese miniature models here. :)

BugFolk

This would be mine. Got it last week. Just a question, is it a wise idea to glue the pieces with like E6000?  I'm afraid of it coming apart and losing the pieces.

Showing transparency. Yikes, I've been gardening and it shows. :-[

Anyways have some potato chips. I would have used something like a cupcake or candy but I didn't have any.

Awkward paint blots on the legs and a spot on the thorax but otherwise it has to be my most realistic ant figurine yet.

stargatedalek

Schleich orca

Safari MBA Manta

Takara Breezy Singers northern cardinal (eastern bluebird is not new)

stargatedalek

Colorata quetzalcoatlus

Invicta icthyosaurus

JPTLW Parasaurolophus

JP Chaos Effect Ankyloranodon

(Jurassic) Park of Thrones

brontodocus

Thanks for the photos, ButterflyChaser, they show exactly what I mean. :) I'm not familiar with E6000 glue (but I sometimes use a UV cured glue named "Bondic" for repairs). Are the legs on your figure loose? They needed some force to be attached to mine so I doubt they will go off, easily. But since the figure is made out of a more rigid and probably brittle plastic I would prefer to keep it in a cabinet or something where a leg wouldn't get lost, anyways.

Congrats, stargatedalek! :) The MBA Manta Ray is huge, isn't it? I hope the wings of your Colorata Quetzalcoatlus attach properly, they tend do fall off on my figure when slightly touched. I merged your extra topic here, too, I don't think it's a problem to see a few non-extant animal figures in the "recent acquisitions", too. By the way, I've never seen those Takara Breezy Singers before! :o

I got some more newcomers yesterday, too! :D

sauroid

WHOAH! those are really awesome Dr.Andre. grats. ;)

bmathison1972

Nice. The CollectA Lucanus cervus looks better than in the publicity photo (Chad has one one hold for me). BUT...what is that turtle thing and who made it? Looks great. Is that an Animals of Australia wombat? Overall this is an awesome bunch of critters. I hope this package results in a lot of walkarounds LOL

brontodocus

Yay, thanks, sauroid and Blaine! :)
Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 03, 2015, 12:34:12 PM
Nice. The CollectA Lucanus cervus looks better than in the publicity photo (Chad has one one hold for me). BUT...what is that turtle thing and who made it? Looks great. Is that an Animals of Australia wombat? Overall this is an awesome bunch of critters. I hope this package results in a lot of walkarounds LOL
The CollectA Lucanus cervus is great, I already liked the official photo by CollectA a lot.

The turtle is by Papo and supposed to be an Alligator Snapping Turtle. Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed about its pose and the inaccurate carapace. My first thought was, yes, that's the Muppets' Blue Frackle with the Sydney Opera House on its back. ::) ;D

Yes, the wombat is the large version by Science and Nature. It's a very massive figure. The Eastern Grey Kangaroo is also by Science and Nature. I'm not 100% sure but that one may be the largest figure they made so far.

Oh, and finally I odered myself a digital SLR camera. Should be here tomorrow evening so, yes, I think a few more walk-arounds may be coming up! :D