Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Good to see it arrived intact, and so soon! Did that postal bag end up being a good packing (I've never used them before)?

Took a quick stop at Value Village today, and I got a pretty interesting mixed lot from some of the grab bags.

Safari ltd "camel", honestly I'm not especially interested in this one, it just happened to be in the bag with the JPTLW pteranodon.

Han and goose Safari ltd. These two are actually pretty nice, over-sized feet aside.

This metal cicada was a very nice surprise. Odd to find in a toy grab bag, but its far from the weirdest thing I've seen accidentally(?) tossed into a toy bag (that honor goes to a mounted chicken head in very poor condition, which I found last summer, didn't buy it however).

"Tree frog", "by" Toy Major, the reason I use "by" is that Toy Major has done a number of bootleg products over the years, and I don't feel like they deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point. The outermost toe on the left hind foot is damaged.

Another pair of mystery lizards, man I have so many of these things now. I have probably about a half dozen of that gecko, and at lest 3 (now 4) of the other. There's an anole and a generic green and grey lizard that are often sold alongside these two.

Some rather generic insects (and an arachnid). The shield bug while highly generic is rather nicely detailed, and the bee is a um... finger... thingy...

A few new pokemon to add to my small selection of pokefigs. What do you mean they aren't really animals.

brontodocus

Congrats, Blaine & Stargatedalek! :) The pose of the Toy Major frog looks somewhat familiar although I cannot say of which other brand's figure it really reminds me.

sauroid

stuff i got during the past months that i forgot to post before
the classic Papo white rhinoceros

Kaiyodo natural monuments of Japan horseshoe crab

Safari Ltd sawfish (the Monterey Bay Aquarium series sawfish is the same mold)

Kaiyodo box lobster

bmathison1972

I just got these three really cool diorama bases/settings.

They are only 9" wide and 5" tall, so they are designed for gashapon-sized figures (maybe small critters by other name brands, such as small birds, rodents, invertebrates). There are 'cliffs' and layers to maximize occupancy, but they cannot take too many or too big of figures.

The base, rocks and logs are painted foam; the plants are plastic. I have three habitats. One is all terrestrial with a rotting log. One is terrestrial but has a small stream of water. The third is half above/half under water (great for freshwater critters). They also have a clear plastic cover, so you can make a permanent/long term display and keep is safe from dust, etc.

I will be using this for 'Recent Acquisitions' and walk-arounds :). Plus any taxonomic threads!!!

terrestrial:

with stream:

half land/half water:

brontodocus

Congrats, sauroid & Blaine! :) Blaine, those are awesome! :o 8) I think for many of your figures they are the perfect photo display. Now you have to tell us where you got those.

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on February 28, 2015, 07:53:24 PM
Congrats, sauroid & Blaine! :) Blaine, those are awesome! :o 8) I think for many of your figures they are the perfect photo display. Now you have to tell us where you got those.

Brett in NJ ordered them from JAUCE via his contact in Japan. There was a fourth one too that I didnt get. They may still be there?!?

brontodocus

Ah, I was wondering if they came from Japan. Just the kind of mini diorama I'd be looking for, too. :) I know I can make things like that myself but it will be very time consuming.

Jetoar

Dioramas are one of the best acquistions  ;).
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on February 28, 2015, 07:59:20 PM
Ah, I was wondering if they came from Japan. Just the kind of mini diorama I'd be looking for, too. :) I know I can make things like that myself but it will be very time consuming.

I'd seen them them on YAJ. Too much $$ for me, although they are very cool.

Jetoar

My last acquistions of a flea market.

:)).

sauroid

cool stuff jetoar

mine:
kaiyodos

Yujin and Epoch

bmathison1972

Jetoar, you go to flea markets so often...how come you don't have more toy fleas?  :o :P :o >:D

bmathison1972

hey sauroid, those Epoch crustaceans are nice. I have all but one in the series (the soldier crab)...BUT it is currently en route to me from Brett :). So soon the set will be complete

sauroid

looking forward to seeing your complete Epoch crustacean set bmathison. :)

Jetoar needs this (flea by K)

bmathison1972

Quote from: sauroid on March 03, 2015, 06:53:16 PM

I have that flea, or something very similar. It is (mine is) by the Groovy Tubes book called, 'Bug Blast!'

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 03, 2015, 07:16:21 PM
Quote from: sauroid on March 03, 2015, 06:53:16 PM

I have that flea, or something very similar. It is (mine is) by the Groovy Tubes book called, 'Bug Blast!'

'K' is indeed the brand marker used by the Groovy Toob figures.

Quote from: sauroid on March 03, 2015, 06:46:24 PM
cool stuff jetoar
mine:

So when are you finally getting another Animal Kaiser Torpedo Ray (I've had no luck tracking one down)? My shelves look so empty without it!  ;)

sauroid

i will let you know asap sbell (im currenty searching for my spare animal kaiser torpedo ray)

some miscellaneous figures i got recently

bmathison1972

Lots of new critters for Blaine (courtesy of Brett):

First, a large vinyl deep-sea marine isopod. Not sure of the manufacturer, and while not as detailed as the recent Kitan Club figure, it's still very well done (and cheaper). Here it is next to one of my running shoes for comparison:

Next 3 caterpillars that appear to be similar to the PlayVisions (and/or their knockoffs). The papers said they were from a company(?) called Beam. Not sure if that is a manufacturer or a distributer but a Google search of their website shows some interesting animals (see: http://beam.p-kit.com/).

There were no species names, but one appears to be the pipevine swallowtail, Battus philenor. Another appears to be a danaine, but not necessarily D. plexippus. I will have to snoop around to confirm the species. I have several of the PV line and they may have names on them.

Third, a couple cool crabs. The spider crab (Macrocheira kaempferi) is by Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour from their Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan line. I was previously unaware of this figure. The soldier crab (Miclyria sp.) is by Epoch. I need to check but I am pretty sure this completes the Epoch crustacean set for me (minus a color variant of G. dehanni)!

Lastly, the Japanese hornet (Vespa mandarina) by Kaiyodo Choco Q Animatales (original line) and a cerambycid (thinking Batocera rufomaculata? Thoughts Andre?) by Takara TOMY (another of the large, semi-soft figures). The Kaiyodo wasp is, I believe, better than their recent one in the insect pests set! Also....this wasp is the LAST of the original Choco Q Animatales arthropods for me to get!!!! A milestone accomplished.  Well, techincially I still need one color variant of the crab, Geophthusa dehanni, but I'm not overly concerned about that.

brontodocus

Congrats, Jetoar, sauroid, and Blaine! :) The Bathynomus looks nice. I think I've seen it on YAJ, is this the one that comes in different colours?
Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 07, 2015, 09:31:13 PM
Lastly, the Japanese hornet (Vespa mandarina) by Kaiyodo Choco Q Animatales (original line) and a cerambycid (thinking Batocera rufomaculata? Thoughts Andre?) by Takara TOMY (another of the large, semi-soft figures). The Kaiyodo wasp is, I believe, better than their recent one in the insect pests set! Also....this wasp is the LAST of the original Choco Q Animatales arthropods for me to get!!!! A milestone accomplished.  Well, techincially I still need one color variant of the crab, Geophthusa dehanni, but I'm not overly concerned about that.
The beetle looks indeed like Batocera rufomaculata. So I guess this is an alternate colour version of the Batocera lineolata figure by T-A.R.T.S?

Jetoar

Really wonderful acquisitions  :o.