Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

Quote from: sauroid on February 17, 2015, 05:14:35 AM
yes i did

"does the dragonfly have a magnet? If so, it might be the Rement Figure, although it also looks (at this resolution) like the original Kaiyodo Choco Q Animatales one."
yes it's the Kaiyodo animatales great dragonfly (Anogaster sieboldii) S3B. thanks.

Not bad--but I was asking if you had the original booklet:

That's old-school Colorata! There are about 10 English words total, the only way to know what anything was is using the Latin names; it folds out instead of being a book; and as is clear, it's not even the fancy colour design, just the green-and-white.

Which gave some extra challenges. Someday I may get the revised set just for the flashier figures, the bases for everything, and the better booklet.

sauroid

oh too bad, it would have been much cooler/better if i got that booklet instead. thanks for the pic/info sbell.

bmathison1972

Quote from: sauroid on February 19, 2015, 06:51:22 AM
oh too bad, it would have been much cooler/better if i got that booklet instead. thanks for the pic/info sbell.

I agree with sauroid; older and simpler is better than new and flashy :). Although I suppose both would be good for collectors of the catalogues/package inserts.

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 19, 2015, 07:54:59 PM

I agree with sauroid; older and simpler is better than new and flashy :). Although I suppose both would be good for collectors of the catalogues/package inserts.

Perhaps--but a little bit of English is good too--the old ones are clearly meant for Japanese consumers only.

sauroid

Quote from: sphyrna18 on February 13, 2015, 01:21:11 PM
Quote from: brontodocus on February 13, 2015, 08:10:04 AM
The Colorata Zebra Shark is nice. I should get me the entire box, eventually.
The Zebra Shark comes from the long-retired Ocean Kingdom box; many of the species - in fact, I believe all of them except the Zebra Shark & Humpback Whale - wound up being re-released in the Sharks of the World and Marine Mammals of the World boxes, repectively, albeit with different sculpts. If you can find it, the Ocean Kingdom Beluga Whale is particularly nice; far superior to the MMOTW figure, imo.
there are also Colorata sharks/cetaceans that dont have the copyright year, same size as the 2002 ones but with slightly different sculpt and paint (i.e. whale shark, commerson's dolphin, scalloped hammerhead, orca, bottlenosed dolphin, etc.).

all the 2002 sharks

sbell

I should say, if you are in need of it, I could always be open to a trade--if you have a spare Animal Kaiser Torpedo Ray around or something! ;)

And I just received a parcel from Brett, so I'll be getting to that later!

sauroid

well, i can live without that booklet for now haha. tho if you still want it, i have a spare zebra shark, but it isnt in perfect state (has a small smudge on the belly), but would prefer multiple trades like four and up to save on shipping. :)

Colorata Marine Mammals boxed set

sbell

Quote from: sauroid on February 20, 2015, 02:58:53 PM
well, i can live without that booklet for now haha. tho if you still want it, i have a spare zebra shark, but it isnt in perfect state (has a small smudge on the belly), but would prefer multiple trades like four and up to save on shipping. :)

Colorata Marine Mammals boxed set

Actually, part of my Brett parcel was 2 of the zebra sharks (+2 each of the 2002 Hammerheads and Bullheads).

And the entire Ueno zoo Colorata set in box (although not new). Which means I now have spares of the Okapi, Aye-Aye and Styan's Red Panda.

brontodocus

All those wonderful Coloratas... 8) Didn't even know about the variants, those two Whale Sharks sauroid posted seem to be quite different, indeed, especially the first dorsal looks different.

I just received a parcel from Japan! ^-^

stargatedalek

If I may ask (I'm considering getting some) what material are the recent Yujin lizards made of?

bmathison1972

I just received five figures from the DeAgostini World Insect Data Book. For those of you that are unfamiliar, there are 60 figures; 59 large scarabaeoid beetles and one dragonfly. I wasnt going to pursue this series because 1) I have tons of large scarabaeoids and 2) they can be expensive.

About half the series is available on eBay now, for $25 a figure. I did start with five figures. However, after seeing them, I might find myself on eBay every other month or so adding a few at a time. These beetles are beyond amazing figures. And they came in cool display boxes.

In fact, I am still deciding if I'll leave them in their boxes or take them out  ??? ??? ???

The five I bought and the reasons:
1) dragonfly, Anax parthenope julius--had to get this, as the solo non-scarab
2) rhino beetle, Dynastes granti -- a personal favorite as I used to collect them back in my home state of Arizona
3) three beetles that are not commonly represented as toys: stag beetle, Lamprima adolphinae; rhino beetle, Golofa pizzaro; rhino beetle, Trichogomphus lunicollis (a new genus for me)

brontodocus

Congrats, Blaine! :) I knew you'd like the DeAgostini insects, they're wonderful. I don't have the Lamprima adolphinae and Golofa pizarro, though. You should try to get the Dynastes hercules, Megasoma mars, and Goliathus orientalis, those are my favourites. I once bought over 40 used figures from YAJ and they were quite cheap but some boxes were broken. I have taken most of them out of their boxes but I've been thinking about putting them into an insect frame. The figures are fixed with screws so you may take the figures out but put them back later, too.

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 21, 2015, 02:20:43 PM
If I may ask (I'm considering getting some) what material are the recent Yujin lizards made of?
Thanks, stargatedalek, they are not Yujin but the Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Mono Lizard set. The set is a few years old but it seems it has been rereleased. They are a bit more detailed than the Yujin figures but they are pliable, soft plastic, too. :) Here's an overview by Helge/postsaurischian: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=59.msg5818#msg5818

stargatedalek

Thanks for the info and link, I'll definitely have to get myself some ;)

Congrats on the insects you guys, they look great! In a frame it would be nigh impossible to tell they weren't the real deal.

bmathison1972

BTW the entire deAgostini set can be seen here: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~CH2M-NITU/widtbooke.htm

there are actually 4 additional figures, secrets representing females of select scarabs.

My wish list species are the Goliathus, Chelorrhina, and Lucanus cervus (the last of which is still avail on eBay).

brontodocus

And some Papo & Safari Ltd came in today! :)

Jetoar

Nice partner

They are my last of this last saturday.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sauroid

very cool new figures!
mine:
Enoshima Aquarium

various japanese brands (Kaiyodo, Tomy-ARTS, Kitan etc.)

Bullyland hedgehog

Jetoar

Lovely Enoshima Aquarium figures  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Congrats, Jetoar & sauroid! :) Yes, those Enoshima Aquarium bottlecaps are wonderful. Funny to see some Yujin lizards, too, since a few days ago I finally took photos of some Yujin lizards which I had for three years now.

bmathison1972

my very first, and to my knowledge the only, toy soft tick (Argasidae), courtesy of stargatedalek. It was made by PlayVisions in 1996. Interestingly, it is mis-identified on the bottom as a 'chigger'. Not only is the morphology not c/w a chigger, but chiggers (Trombiculidae) are only parasitic in the larval stage, which has only 3 pairs of legs. It's funny a company would invest in the detail of several ectoparasites, only to mis-label one (or more?) of them??? The set also included, at least, a flea, head louse, pubic louse, hard tick, bed bug, and scabies mite. Now to get the rest...

P.S. Stars...your package will be put together this weekend. The hard part for me is finding time to get to the post office...soon though I promise :)