Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

It appears Schleich 2015 has landed--and I've bought some for the first time in years (for myself).

The spotted hyena was a given, but also the new rattlesnake and cobra. I'll wait on the boa for some reason.

The kids, on the other hand, are more interested in the newest dragons. But they're a lot more expensive, so they'll just have to save up!

Jetoar

Quote from: sbell on January 31, 2015, 01:31:46 AM
It appears Schleich 2015 has landed--and I've bought some for the first time in years (for myself).

The spotted hyena was a given, but also the new rattlesnake and cobra. I'll wait on the boa for some reason.

The kids, on the other hand, are more interested in the newest dragons. But they're a lot more expensive, so they'll just have to save up!

Yes, I understand you, but dragons figures is one of the stronger points of this year for all in my opinion  ;). I am waiting a haul of Safari fi¡gures, I will share images of them  :).
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 30, 2015, 11:11:38 AM
Quote from: brontodocus on January 30, 2015, 07:14:41 AM
Congrats, Jetoar & Blaine! :) The legs of the Subarudo Giant Hornet look perfect, was the figure like this when you received it? Mine had bent legs which required some hot water treatment but the result still wasn't like your figure.
mine was spanking new, and the legs were still in the mould/brace; as such they were in perfect condition. Ive seen pics of this wasp online and the figure looked gangly, possibly with similar leg issues, but I really like my figure.
Well, I got mine mint in bag and the legs were still on their sprues, too. But still the legs were bent, maybe due to storage.
I'll wait on the boa for some reason.
If the reason is the, urgh, "three-dimensional pattern" with depressed dark patches I fully understand that. I have decided to completely pass on that figure. Looks like the skin has been partially flayed.

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on February 01, 2015, 01:00:26 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 30, 2015, 11:11:38 AM
Quote from: brontodocus on January 30, 2015, 07:14:41 AM
Congrats, Jetoar & Blaine! :) The legs of the Subarudo Giant Hornet look perfect, was the figure like this when you received it? Mine had bent legs which required some hot water treatment but the result still wasn't like your figure.
mine was spanking new, and the legs were still in the mould/brace; as such they were in perfect condition. Ive seen pics of this wasp online and the figure looked gangly, possibly with similar leg issues, but I really like my figure.
Well, I got mine mint in bag and the legs were still on their sprues, too. But still the legs were bent, maybe due to storage.
I'll wait on the boa for some reason.
If the reason is the, urgh, "three-dimensional pattern" with depressed dark patches I fully understand that. I have decided to completely pass on that figure. Looks like the skin has been partially flayed.

We're heading back today. I'll look closer.

I think my main reason in passing is that I have the original boa form Schleich; and the new CollectA Anaconda is far superior.

EDIT-- AND we're back. And it's just like you said--the markings create a weird Bas Relief effect in the snake's skin. Totally skippable. But we did get the 2015 catalog--and I notice that there is a black mamba in what is likely an otherwise overblown and expensive waterhole set. It appears to be the only figure not available singly or in a smaller set. Darn it. Also, Schleich is apparently starting to move in on Playmobil, judging by the accessories and plant styles.

bmathison1972

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

note, the figures are all very nice. They are all a hard plastic (not soft like some of the toxic set). Assembly is minimal (the head+antennae on the cockroach and the stand for the flea)

stargatedalek

A big lot came in the mail today, thanks again to DTF member tyrantqueen ;)
-AAA monitor
-AAA tegu
-Safari IC iguana
-and Toy Major monitor

AAA monitor (the larger one with mouth closed)
It feels great to have another one matching my first AAA monitor. Even the paint apps are a match.

AAA tegu
This one in particular stands out amongst the AAA in my collection. Perhaps its the sheen it has to it but it just feels so "alive" (not that they all don't!).

Toy Major AAA bootleg monitor (the monitor with the white, green, and purple stripes)
I don't deliberately(/actively) collect bootlegs, but tyrantqueen was nice enough to through it in and I'm overjoyed to have it! It definitely makes a nice companion to its original. Sadly the iguana and agama (Agama aculeata seems to match the original, but its hard to tell from the bootleg) bootlegs (also from Toy Major) were ones I purchased years ago, and I don't have the originals to compare them to (I had the opportunity to get the originals, but I didn't have particular interest in either, especially the iguana and you will soon see why).

Safari IC green iguana
My favorite from the lot and probably one of my favorite pieces in my collection already! I'm just so thrilled with it. Novelty Robo-iguana will always be loved, but its like comparing apples to super HD high resolution oranges. The baby IC iguana I've had for so long is also no longer parent-less.

here they are togerther with a few of their contemporaries:

bmathison1972

a couple crustaceans for BAM:

1) shrimp, NOS by Safari LTD (Incredible Creatures, 2015)
2) pillbug, NOS by Fragile World (sculpture, not a toy but a very worthy addition to my mini zoo)

brontodocus

Congrats, Blaine & stargatedalek! :) I bought the CapsuleQ set a few days ago, too, but it may take a while before I get it. Wow, they all look great! 8)
Quote from: stargatedalek on February 05, 2015, 02:21:32 AM
I don't deliberately(/actively) collect bootlegs, but tyrantqueen was nice enough to through it in and I'm overjoyed to have it! It definitely makes a nice companion to its original. Sadly the iguana and agama (Agama aculeata seems to match the original, but its hard to tell from the bootleg) bootlegs (also from Toy Major) were ones I purchased years ago, and I don't have the originals to compare them to (I had the opportunity to get the originals, but I didn't have particular interest in either, especially the iguana and you will soon see why).
The agamid's enlarged tail scales identify it as having been cast from a member of the genus Laudakia, I have the original AAA figure in grey colour.

The Safari Ltd IC shrimp is a bit strange - on the pleon (the rear part often wrongly called "tail" or "abdomen") the pleopods are restricted to segment 1-3. And do I see seven pairs of pereopods? The unique Fragile World pillbug looks much better, although the photo that was on the manufacturer's site looked as if two pleonites were missing.

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on February 06, 2015, 12:43:53 PM
Congrats, Blaine & stargatedalek! :) I bought the CapsuleQ set a few days ago, too, but it may take a while before I get it. Wow, they all look great! 8)
Quote from: stargatedalek on February 05, 2015, 02:21:32 AM
The agamid's enlarged tail scales identify it as having been cast from a member of the genus Laudakia, I have the original AAA figure in grey colour.

The Safari Ltd IC shrimp is a bit strange - on the pleon (the rear part often wrongly called "tail" or "abdomen") the pleopods are restricted to segment 1-3. And do I see seven pairs of pereopods? The unique Fragile World pillbug looks much better, although the photo that was on the manufacturer's site looked as if two pleonites were missing.

Don't analyze the accuracy of safaris shrimp...just be glad they made one lol

brontodocus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 06, 2015, 01:24:37 PM
Well, I guess I can't help it... ;D However, the IC line has quite a few really good and more or less accurate figures of decapods so I would have expected the shrimp to be of the same quality. It's a pity because anatomical issues aside the figure looks really good.

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on February 06, 2015, 01:34:27 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 06, 2015, 01:24:37 PM
Well, I guess I can't help it... ;D However, the IC line has quite a few really good and more or less accurate figures of decapods so I would have expected the shrimp to be of the same quality. It's a pity because anatomical issues aside the figure looks really good.

my thoughts exactly; the overall form is good but the detail with the appendages is weak. It's missing the second pair of antennae and the primary antennae are smooth (could've made indications hinting at segmentation).
Still for some reason I really really like this figure. Perhaps Im still just excited about a non-TOOB/non-life cycle arthropod from Safari LTD.

stargatedalek

Its to bad they missed some details on the shrimp, so close and yet so far if you will. Even though it is very generic that shrimp looks so good I'm going to have to get one at some point.

sbell

Okay, so a while ago (December!) I showed some new fish figures--3D printings.

Well now I have more!

The picture is pretty terrible, and I have a lot of clean up to do--but an elephant nose fish! A new sturgeon! And a paddlefish!

These please me greatly. The printer and material is not nearly the resolution of Shapeways, but hey, it cost $2 total because I bought the guy who printed them a coffee as thanks.

Eventually I will get brave and paint them all--I have the first bunch primed...

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on February 07, 2015, 02:36:54 AM
Okay, so a while ago (December!) I showed some new fish figures--3D printings.

Well now I have more!

The picture is pretty terrible, and I have a lot of clean up to do--but an elephant nose fish! A new sturgeon! And a paddlefish!

These please me greatly. The printer and material is not nearly the resolution of Shapeways, but hey, it cost $2 total because I bought the guy who printed them a coffee as thanks.

Eventually I will get brave and paint them all--I have the first bunch primed...

I received four Shapeways figures today (goliath beetle, Opabinia, treehopper, and orchid mantid) but will post images of before and after when I paint them. We should start a thread for Shapeways/3D printed figures, huh?

brontodocus

Congrats, Sean & Blaine! :) I believe those 3d printed fish will look great once they're cleaned up and painted. Well, in case you think it's too much work... let's say I give you two cups of coffee for those? ;D
Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 07, 2015, 02:49:02 AM
I received four Shapeways figures today (goliath beetle, Opabinia, treehopper, and orchid mantid) but will post images of before and after when I paint them. We should start a thread for Shapeways/3D printed figures, huh?
Is it a genuine Goliathus sp. or did you get that shapeways Mecynorhina oberthueri (I think it's offered as Goliath Beetle)? If so, this once was probably the most valued beetle species for insect collectors (a dried couple would have cost around $10.000 or so twenty years ago). Turned out it wasn't that rare after all and a month ago I've seen a beetle shop offering living specimens for €85 per couple. And, yes, I think a shapeways thread would be great. 8) But I have nothing to contribute, yet, so far all of my shapeways models are representing prehistoric animals.

bmathison1972

Quote from: brontodocus on February 07, 2015, 03:11:07 PM
Congrats, Sean & Blaine! :) I believe those 3d printed fish will look great once they're cleaned up and painted. Well, in case you think it's too much work... let's say I give you two cups of coffee for those? ;D
Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 07, 2015, 02:49:02 AM
Is it a genuine Goliathus sp. or did you get that shapeways Mecynorhina oberthueri (I think it's offered as Goliath Beetle)? If so, this once was probably the most valued beetle species for insect collectors (a dried couple would have cost around $10.000 or so twenty years ago). Turned out it wasn't that rare after all and a month ago I've seen a beetle shop offering living specimens for €85 per couple. And, yes, I think a shapeways thread would be great. 8) But I have nothing to contribute, yet, so far all of my shapeways models are representing prehistoric animals.

yes, it's Mecynorhina oberthueri; I use the term 'goliath' beetle for members of that tribe. The membracid is the shining star for me. Gonna try and paint it to look like Umbonia crassicornis: http://bugguide.net/node/view/158738/bgpage

bmathison1972

today I received the Fragile World antlion larva. Sorry I am too lazy today to do the picture editing for Photobucket. Apparently, it was a limited edition of only 150 figures!

stargatedalek

Safari ltd. "coiled snake"

I'm trying to find if its a cast or not, it certainly feels like one.

bmathison1972

I think the snake is cast, yes

Here is the aforementioned ant lion larva I was previously too lazy to image and edit lol:

brontodocus

Congrats, stargatedalek & Blaine! :) The snake is obviously a cast like many older IC reptiles, too (including the big, retired IC Iguana). It's still available and officially named "Rough Green Snake", i.e. Opheodry aestivus, although the snake it has been cast from must have been a different species since the dorsal scales are not keeled. The same sculpt also exists coloured as a Chain Kingsnake, Lampropeltis getula.
The antlion larva looks great, even better than the pillbug! 8)