News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: sbell on January 23, 2024, 09:05:41 PMIf you get the Colorata Sharks DX box, most figures are overall larger (except the cookie cutter, as the figures are slightly scaled).
Thanks.  Most of the species from that box that I'm interested in I already have a satisfying version of, or I plan to get another figure of.

JimoAi

Got some new stuff in: the smaller guys first: got a little clownfish in a tank that's part of the Okinawa aquarium set distributed by Coca Cola, a Fuecoco from the Pokemon scale world line, Mini brands SpongeBob and Patrick meme figures and the Animal Heavenly body Great white and beluga, which does feel like Ikimon figures in terms of sculpt and paint quality.

For the larger Figures, I got a replacement Schleich Great hammerhead with better plastic, a repainted Safari ltd tylosaurus which I feel is my favourite accurate mosasaur sculpt sans the pain and the repaint I did is sooo much better. A few Japanese figures: the Kitan Club stingray which represents a Pitted stingray and I was shocked at how big it is for a gashapon figure, a Kaiyodo football fish, Bandai ancient fish wave 2 sturgeon and Xingu river ray which replaces the Colorata and Kaiyodo ones respectively and finally, a Colorata giant squid, which feels so much more premium than the Safari one. Don't get me wrong the Safari one is a nice figure on its own but this Colorata one is something else. Was very lucky to find one loose for a decent price without having to pay a pretty penny for the expensive but in production Deep sea creatures box from Colorata

Isidro

Three new homemade sculpts I made in november, but had them waiting to be painted until 23th January. Now finished and added to my collection.

figuras1.jpg

I painted them in the same chronological order I've made the sculpts and in this order I present them here.

1. The black and rufous elephant shrew (Rhynchocyon petersi). It resulted slightly too big but still adequate. It's the model I like more of the three and I think the most decent one.
Rhynchocyon.jpg
RhynchocyonB.jpg
RhynchocyonC.jpg

Here in comparison with my only other insectivore, the repainted Safari Good Luck Minis hedgehog:
RhynchocyonAtelerix.jpg

There is no much megafauna in the Eastern Arc Mountains of Tanzania, besides some colobus monkeys I don't have figures of. So I chosen the ubiquitous leopard for making scenes, I suppose this species is present in these mountains, from which that elephant shrew is endemic.
Be careful, little jumper...

RhynchocyonPardus1.jpg

But the elephant shrew is able to see the danger at time and flees to the intrincate dense jungle where the leopard can't track it.

RhynchocyonPardus2.jpg

Isidro

Second was the ashy-headed goose (Chloephaga poliocephala), resting quietly in a lake shore.

ChloephagaA.jpg
ChloephagaB.jpg
Chloephaga (1).jpg

Comparison with my other South American waterfowl:
ChloephagaAnatidae.jpg

Again a big cat approach this succulent prey in the infinite dry steppes of the Patagonia...
ChloephagaPuma1.jpg

...but again, the bird, always alert, turn the head... and sees the cougar from enough distance...
ChloephagaPuma2.jpg

...so the goose flied away and the cougar still will be hungry!

Isidro

The last is my least favourite in terms of how the model resulted. I obviously can never reach the fine level of quality of many brands, but still the figure is enough decent for display. The ocellated river stingray, Potamotrygon motoro.

Potamotrygon.jpg

Comparison with the Kaiyodo white-blotched stingray that I used as inspiration for the sculpt. The Kaiyodo ray is perfect in quality but doesn't belong to my collection due to excessive size. With the ocellated one I got the size I wanted.

Potamotrygons.jpg

And more comparison pics. With my smaller rays... (all homemade except a knockoff of the Colorata leopard whipray, highly customized)
Potamotrygonsmallrays.jpg

And with my large rays: the giant freshwater stingray (one of my oldest homemades) and the spotted eagle ray (Safari LTD, highly customized).
Potamotrygonbigrays.jpg

Now the natural history scene as always. I had lot of Amazonian companions for this: arapaima, electric eel, matamata turtle, manatee, dorado, Amazon river dolphin, flagtail characin... However, since the two previous animals had encounters with big cats, I chosed to continue the trend.

A solitary jaguar walks along the shore of the Amazonas, looking for some capybara or a small caiman...
Potamotrygononca1.jpg

Wait, Isidro, you will made again the prey escape and then I will be still hungry, as you did with my cousins? You disgusting human...

Hey no, calm down my friend...

Potamotrygononca2.jpg
Oh thanks, even if I would prefair a succulent tapir, at least I got something for not starve!

EpicRaptorMan

@Isidro I like the elephant shrew. Do you take requests? I'd like to see a solenodon get made. I'd pay of course. (And yes, I know solenodon aren't shrew either)

Isidro

I guess even the same sculpt of elephant shrew can work as a solenodon, just making tiny eyes instead. There was long years since my last request, I'm not much into sculpting (notice the extreme wide timelapse between my last sculpts), but I could think on it if that's important for you. Notice also my sculpts are not top quality, but I try my best.

EpicRaptorMan

Yea I was thinking similarly. I should probably take my swing at molding figures sometime.

As for my new acquisitions:
-Papo Pigeon
-Papo Red Deer
-Mojo reat Horned Owl (replaces SafariLtd)
-Mojo Grey Goose
-Papo Anteater (replaces Schleich)
-Mojo Arabian Oryx
-Papo Muscovy Duck
-SafariLtd Green-cheeked Amazon Parrot
-Schleich Bonobo
-Schleich Nine-banded Armadillo (replaces old Schleich)
-Schleich Japanese Macaque
-Schleich Fire Salamander

Sim

I've acquired the CollectA zebra shark!  It's very well-made!

SerAndrew

I just got these two yesterday...

Mojo vulture was starting to dissapear from shops, so I finally bought it.  It was initially sold as a griffon, with a different paint scheme, but this version is obviously not a griffon, but a Rüppells.

To justify the shipping costs I also bought the Safari mule. I'm not particularly fond of the figure, but I know this is a rare figure now, and also a good opportunity to include an hybrid in my collection (I was considering the Kaiyodo harlequin macaw for the same reason).

JimoAi

Some early birthday gifts:

The jp3 Hammond Collection Velociraptor which is a very fun figure of a great raptor design for tits time.

Pokemon scale world Swampert. which despite choosing Sceptile for Hoenn, I did use Swampert in my team in the Indigo disk DlC

a krusty krab construction set. from what I have seen, it's the most sophisticated playset of the restaurant and I have a yujin Octopus manning the reguster at the moment!

SerAndrew

Presenting now two exciting additions. Not actually "new" because I bought them months ago, but they only arrived today after a nightmarish process with the worst, most uncapable seller I've encounter in all these years.

I don't want to detail all the hell of a process it's been (resulting in one lost figure I still have not received refund for, one broken figure I've had to fix for myself without any compensation, one wrongly painted figure I also had to fix, not usable bases or no bases at all, etc etc), so I'll directly present they figures.

They are †Semirostrum ceruttii , a prehistoric porpoise and †Waipatia maerewhenua, a prehistoric river dolphin. Sculpts are from Dinosauria Creatures, 3D printed and painted by this seller. Have to say that the result is quite satisfying despite all the headaches and I'm pretty happy with them.

I'll be able to present them together to other 4 whales from the same artist and seller by the end of the week, but I thought I'll be presenting these two first.

Hope you like them, give them some love after all the bad timing they've gone through!

bmathison1972

Wow those are really nice! You've just doubled the number of prehistoric cetacean figures lol (well, those known to me personally; I am sure there are others)

SerAndrew

Hahahaa I need a basilosaurus, I don't like the CollectA and the PNSO doesn't fully convince me...
There is an entire series by this artist, but they are difficult to get because you have to find one who prints and paints them for you, which means they are not cheap either...

I actually bought the PNSO livyatan for this new "project" of prehistoric cetaceans.

I guess livyiatan and basilosaurus were the ones you had in mind, right?

The ones I'll show you this weekend are †Odobenocetops peruvianus, †Simocetus rayi, †Platalearostrum hoekmani and †Orcinus citonensis

bmathison1972

Oooo! Looking forward to them!

I have the CollectA Basilosaurus (it's a bit 'straight and stiff' but it works for me) and the PNSO Livyatan.

SerAndrew

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 06, 2024, 02:47:20 PMOooo! Looking forward to them!

I have the CollectA Basilosaurus (it's a bit 'straight and stiff' but it works for me) and the PNSO Livyatan.

Yep, me too! They arrive to my parent's house because they were supposed to arrive before Xmas... So I've only seen pictures. I know one tusk of the odontobenocepts is broken and I have to paste it, and the orcinus lacks the white patchs in the underside, so I have to paint them. I hope I don't make a mess!

Fembrogon

I had a big lot of items from Mercari arrive yesterday; the vast majority of items was prehistorics, but two surprises were included that suit this forum:

A Kaiyodo sea pig and goblin shark! They came complimentary of the seller, which was a pleasant surprise. The two of them are pretty sticky, though, which is less pleasant - might also be why they were complimentary. Still, they're both neat, and my first extant Kaiyodo figurines.

JimoAi

Yesterday was my birthday so I've received alot of awesome stuff:

Well keep the non relevant items out first: A pokemon Spheal and seel bottle diorama and a copy of NASB2

I've received a Funko pop of Bruce from Finding Nemo. Quite disappointed there isn't any larger size premium figures of him and this funko pop is a great stylized version of him. the black eyes don't bother me as he's a great white.
Some Gashapons: takara Tomy Frilled shark, yell Color changing cuttlefish, takara Tomy snapping turtle, a cat dressed as a Hammerhead shark and a Qualia Tyrannosaurus.

Also received the CollectA zebra shark and tiger shark, both which I have had in the past but am meaning to re add them into my collection

The stellar safari ltd sperm whale which does work as a female

lastly, the CollectA ruyangosaurus. Initially I was put off by the drab color scheme but in hand it's really nice and it subs in as any of the more advanced titanosaurs from the later Cretaceous too!

Sim

I've obtained one of the Kaiyodo sand tiger shark.  I don't know which Kaiyodo figures go in which aquatic line and even the Toy Animal Wiki and a website that focuses on Kaiyodo show incompatible information.  Anyway I'm happy to have the sand tiger shark figure.

My next two acquisitions are one large and one small.

The small is the Papo great tit.  I love it.  Papo can make great birds and I proceeded to look at lists of Papo figures on the Toy Animal Wiki to see what other birds Papo has made that I don't have.  Out of those the only one I'm definitely going to get is the robin.  Once I have the robin I'll have all the Papo garden birds made so far.  I wish Papo made more garden bird species.  I'm a little upset Papo isn't releasing anything for their garden line this year.  Hopefully next year there will be more!

The large is the Papo whale shark.  It's impressive, and my largest extant animal figure with regards to figure size, although it's the largest extant species I have a figure of too.

JimoAi

Quote from: Sim on February 10, 2024, 10:04:49 PMI've obtained one of the Kaiyodo sand tiger shark.  I don't know which Kaiyodo figures go in which aquatic line and even the Toy Animal Wiki and a website that focuses on Kaiyodo show incompatible information.  Anyway I'm happy to have the sand tiger shark figure.

My next two acquisitions are one large and one small.

The small is the Papo great tit.  I love it.  Papo can make great birds and I proceeded to look at lists of Papo figures on the Toy Animal Wiki to see what other birds Papo has made that I don't have.  Out of those the only one I'm definitely going to get is the robin.  Once I have the robin I'll have all the Papo garden birds made so far.  I wish Papo made more garden bird species.  I'm a little upset Papo isn't releasing anything for their garden line this year.  Hopefully next year there will be more!

The large is the Papo whale shark.  It's impressive, and my largest extant animal figure with regards to figure size, although it's the largest extant species I have a figure of too.

could I have a look at the sand tiger so I can identify which line it's from? from my memory there's 3 possible lines it could have came from