News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Got this giant vintage centipede off ebay. It's 13 inches (33 cm) in diameter coiled like this, and would be 33 inches (88 cm) if it came stretched out. As you can see, it currently resides in my kitchen at the base of my refrigerator haha.

how to screenshot on windows 7certificity.com

sbell

Okay, I'm back from Atlanta! The Zoo and the Aquarium are fantastic. As far as toy animals go it was...not great. The Aquarium had 4 figures--two Safari (Moray eel and hanmerhead shark) and two mystery ones--knock offs of Safari Great White and Whale shark (I didn't pick up any). The zoo wasn't too bad, mostly Safari and some Schleich.

And K&M salamanders!

There were 3 of each size (the Red is a 'medium, the red eft/orange and blue-spotted are 'small')

They are marked K&M INT 1999. So they might actually be from that era! We didn't pick up the others because...they are all the same mold, and I didn't notice the details until we'd left. The other two mediums were fire and green marbled salamanders; the other small was a dark brown wtih a red longitudinal stripe down the back (like a Yonahlosee). My son picked up the red and orange because of course he did. I grabbed the blue-spotted because I'd never seen a toy of one.

They came with info tags wtih photos of their intended species and everything! And even an ID#!

The Red is 20757
The Red Eft (referred to as 'orange salamander' on the tag) is 20762
The Blue-spotted is 20761

As for the trip--it was amazing. I will get photos up, but it will take a while to sort them out!

stemturtle

Sbell, what is the total length of the K&M blue-spotted salamander?
I am surprised that these salamanders are still marketed after some 19 years.

sbell

Quote from: stemturtle on April 25, 2017, 05:27:44 PM

The blue-spotted (and orange--same mold) are 16 cm long as is (they don't stretch easily). The red is 26cm.

I was surprised when I realized what I had--I assumed that they were more current, or I would have at least bought the 3rd small one!

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on April 26, 2017, 12:56:09 AM

The blue-spotted (and orange--same mold) are 16 cm long as is (they don't stretch easily). The red is 26cm.

I was surprised when I realized what I had--I assumed that they were more current, or I would have at least bought the 3rd small one!

Sean, you said the Georgia Aquarium had 4 figures? You mean 4 of interest to you or 4 total? They used to have a ton of Safari and K&M. Both that aquarium and their zoo are fantastic! Did you also hit up the Fernbank Natural History museum? It's nice, too!

widukind

Quote from: bmathison1972 on April 26, 2017, 12:22:00 PM

Sean, you said the Georgia Aquarium had 4 figures? You mean 4 of interest to you or 4 total? They used to have a ton of Safari and K&M. Both that aquarium and their zoo are fantastic! Did you also hit up the Fernbank Natural History museum? It's nice, too!

They have a ton of K&M? Sounds interesting, a lot of collectors search for that. They have a online shop?

sbell

Quote from: widukind on April 26, 2017, 05:05:57 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on April 26, 2017, 12:22:00 PM

They have a ton of K&M? Sounds interesting, a lot of collectors search for that. They have a online shop?

I didn't get to the museum. Time didn't allow. They had 3 each of the small and medium salamanders, plus a few lizards.

But mostly Schleich and Safari.

I don't think they have a comprehensive online store. If they have one at all.

Beetle guy

I had some interesting stuff coming in last half year. I will do a proper photoshoot soon. This one came in last friday. I had never seen it before.
It is a variation on the Kaiyodo ChocoQ grasshopper. The kaiyodo number of this one isトノサマバッタ R0029.
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

So I got 8 beetles today from 'ShanTrip', a company out of India (I believe). I suspected they were knock-offs or at least heavily influenced by Sega, Kabaya, or Hayakwa (the last of which probably are not original themselves...)
When I received them I was right; most of these are knock-offs of Kabaya's World Insect Series 1. A few are not from that series, so they were influenced by other series/manufacturers (did Kabaya make a Series 2? I honestly do not know).

Also, when I ordered these from Ninjastar Express on ebay (from Japan), they were advertised as being 12 different figures, but I only received 8 with four duplicates. Honestly now that I know their influence I really don't care if I get the remaining four or not. But I also wanted to take this opportunity to caution anyone who might be ordering from them...

Usual scarab fare, from left to right, top to bottom:

1. Dorcus titanus palawanicus
2. Hexarthrius mandibularis
3. Dynastes neptunus
4. Megasoma actaeon
5. Chalcosoma caucasus
6. Augosoma centaurus
7. Prosopocoilus giraffa
8. Dynastes hercules

photo hostingcertificity.com

widukind

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 01, 2017, 07:53:10 PM
So I got 8 beetles today from 'ShanTrip', a company out of India (I believe). I suspected they were knock-offs or at least heavily influenced by Sega, Kabaya, or Hayakwa (the last of which probably are not original themselves...)
When I received them I was right; most of these are knock-offs of Kabaya's World Insect Series 1. A few are not from that series, so they were influenced by other series/manufacturers (did Kabaya make a Series 2? I honestly do not know).

Also, when I ordered these from Ninjastar Express on ebay (from Japan), they were advertised as being 12 different figures, but I only received 8 with four duplicates. Honestly now that I know their influence I really don't care if I get the remaining four or not. But I also wanted to take this opportunity to caution anyone who might be ordering from them...

Usual scarab fare, from left to right, top to bottom:

1. Dorcus titanus palawanicus
2. Hexarthrius mandibularis
3. Dynastes neptunus
4. Megasoma actaeon
5. Chalcosoma caucasus
6. Augosoma centaurus
7. Prosopocoilus giraffa
8. Dynastes hercules

photo hostingcertificity.com

Interesting set. I saw one similar set in Bangkok. I dont know the brand but it was very similar like the 3D pictorial book with coral fishes. But not cheap :) . And a brand out of India sounds interesting!!

widukind

Beetle guy

Quote from: widukind on May 02, 2017, 07:02:20 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 01, 2017, 07:53:10 PM
So I got 8 beetles today from 'ShanTrip', a company out of India (I believe). I suspected they were knock-offs or at least heavily influenced by Sega, Kabaya, or Hayakwa (the last of which probably are not original
Interesting set. I saw one similar set in Bangkok. I dont know the brand but it was very similar like the 3D pictorial book with coral fishes. But not cheap :) . And a brand out of India sounds interesting!!

Seen a lot of these in the Chinese TaoBao webstores, also with different species (no new ones considering the usual spectrum :)) So I doubt their from India.
To beetle or not to beetle.

sbell

Quote from: widukind on May 02, 2017, 07:04:31 AM
My newcomers

That poor spotted gar, missing his base...but it's a good figure! Congrats!

widukind

Quote from: sbell on May 03, 2017, 02:02:35 PM
My newcomers

Thank you, i dont saw it before. But it is not important :)

sbell

Quote from: widukind on May 03, 2017, 04:58:33 PM
My newcomers

Exactly! At least you have a gar!

widukind

Quote from: sbell on May 04, 2017, 02:00:57 AM
My newcomers

Oh yes, and i dont know that figurine before and so it wasnt on my wishlist.  But now i am happy with this fish :)

sbell

Quote from: widukind on May 04, 2017, 07:43:57 AM
My newcomers

Oh yes, and i dont know that figurine before and so it wasnt on my wishlist.  But now i am happy with this fish :)

Yeah, the whole set is missing from the TAI! Someday I'll get that fixed with Roger...

widukind

Quote from: sbell on May 04, 2017, 06:48:23 PM
My newcomers

Yeah, the whole set is missing from the TAI! Someday I'll get that fixed with Roger...

I hope to get some more soon :)

sbell

Quote from: widukind on May 05, 2017, 07:46:38 PM
My newcomers

Just be aware, there is more than one Toba set, and they repeat some figures!

widukind

Quote from: sbell on May 06, 2017, 12:39:09 AM
Quote from: widukind on May 05, 2017, 07:46:38 PM
My newcomers

Just be aware, there is more than one Toba set, and they repeat some figures!

Why you do that? :o :P ;)  You can not only say they have more but not tell me what. :'( :P ::) :)

And do you know what specie that parrotfish there is?