News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stemturtle

Quote from: widukind on March 10, 2017, 05:46:49 PM
my 02.2017 newcomers

Widukind, kudos on finding the Trendmaster howler.

stemturtle

Brown dog tick, female, Rhipicephalus sanguineus (Unknown maker)

We have not yet located the male brown dog tick figure. It would make 8 ticks as the total for the set. Bmathison1972 has posted an excellent review of six of the models.

Engorged female ticks: American dog (or wood) tick, brown dog (or kennel) tick,
blacklegged (or deer) tick, lone star tick

If you discover the name of the manufacturer, please post it.

brontodocus

Congrats, everyone! :)
Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 10, 2017, 06:54:11 PM
Next, 4 spiders by Bullyland, including the three new species from this year: Mexican red-kneed tarantula, Brazilian white-kneed tarantula, blue ornamental tarantula, and velvet spider (walkaround coming in a sec of the last one)

image upload no registration
Ah, great to see you already got them. They seem a little smaller than I thought but they look good. :)

widukind

bmathison1972

Quote from: stemturtle on March 11, 2017, 02:42:07 PM

Brown dog tick, female, Rhipicephalus sanguineus (Unknown maker)

We have not yet located the male brown dog tick figure. It would make 8 ticks as the total for the set. Bmathison1972 has posted an excellent review of six of the models.

Engorged female ticks: American dog (or wood) tick, brown dog (or kennel) tick,
blacklegged (or deer) tick, lone star tick

If you discover the name of the manufacturer, please post it.

So you got the female Rhipi sanguineus! I have a male + female pair by Merial, so at least I have the species. The Merial figures are similarly colored but MUCH larger.

Cynical

New bunch of figures from thrift store (no quality figures in this lot except the horned guan and maybe the rhino)

BlueKrono

That horned guan from the chocolate eggs is the coolest one from the whole series in my opinion. I considered buying a bunch in hopes of getting it, but I don't like mystery packs.
I like turtles.

AnimalKnight

Quote from: sauroid on December 09, 2012, 12:28:13 PM
just bought these figures last friday
Schleich tigers

an old Safari Ltd Leopard from 1998

no brand African Elephant

no brand Whale Shark

I love those Scheich tigers! Are they also made from high-quality plastic or different material?

sauroid

hi. same material, texture, weight. :)

AnimalKnight

Quote from: sauroid on March 20, 2017, 08:30:01 AM
hi. same material, texture, weight. :)

That's great!  ^-^
The details are so realistic.
Are they available in bigger sizes as well?

bmathison1972

As a birthday present to myself I bought another porcelain series by the Franklin Mint, Butterflies of Paradise. After I bought these, I realized the set is not complete - there is still one more I need (online images show it to be an Ornithoptera species). Once I have a complete set, I'll do a review in the Walkaround section. But for now here are the first 11, and the flowers on which they sit. All are new species for me, actually new genera, except P. arcturus.

1. BHUTAN GLORY, Bhutanitis lidderdalii on Himalayan maple (Podophyllum hexandrum)

2. TIGER. Tithorea harmonia on sunshine tree (Tabebuia serratifolia)

3. ROYAL ASSYRIAN, Terinos terpander on Philippine violet (Barleria cristata)

4. RED LACEWING, Cethosia biblis on common white jasmine (Jasminum officinale)

5. BLUE BANDED PEACOCK, Papilio arcturus on Asiatic poppy (Meconopsis grandis)

6. SWORDTAILED TORTOISESHELL, Hypanartia paullus on frangipani (Plumeria alba)

7. GAUDY COMMODORE, Precis ocravia on African violet (Saintpaulia ionanthe)

8. FOREST BEAUTY, Paralethe dendrophilus on crossandra (Crossandra infundibuliformis)

9. LILAC TREE NYMPH, Sevenia pechueli on yesterday-and-tomorrow (Brunfelsia calycina) [this figure is misidentified on the accompanying paper as Eunica amelia, which is turn was misspelled as E. amulia.]

10. LEOPARD, Phalanta eurytis on periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus)

11. ATOSSA NYMPH, Euriphene atossa on black-eyed Susan (Thunbergia alata)

adult picture hosting

widukind

widukind

Zoo news march 2017

many thanks to halichoeres

sbell

Well, I rarely have new figures anymore...curse of a limited wants list!

But with Replica Toy Fish shutting down operations Simeon was kind enough to send me a bunch spares, seconds and sellable models.

I mentioned that I received a few chain pickerel from him, with a few extra to sell. But I also received some really interesting repaints, and one other never-released-for-real figure

The notable models are pictured here:

From the top,

A really fancy-painted 6" Northern Pike (compare here with an original):

A 3" Northern Pike figure, painted to look much more like a redfin pickerel (compared to the original)--note the black eye bar:

A 3" walleye figure painted to look more like a Sauger...although they normally look pretty similar anyway:

Two different repaints of the 3" Muskellunge, with more greens and distinct striping:

Several of the original Brook trout (a version 2 was released, with better ventral colouring). Not sure what the intent of the paint job was (I received several) but I found images of Splake trout (a Lake Trout x Brook Trout hybrid) that looks pretty similar. They are both Char, so it makes sense. Compared with the original Brook Torut V1

skipping over one...

The 3" Chain pickerel...they were a distinct repaint of the 3" Northern Pike. These are the ones I am keeping, so I painted in the black bar below the eyes. Nothing to compare with really!

And coming back to the real rarity--a different 3" Catfish! On the Toy Animal Info Wiki (on STS) there are several unreleased catfish pictured, species that were developed but not released for sale  (I've heard rumours of spotted gars...but never saw any). From what I can tell, the one I received is listed as a 'grey catfish' but there is no such thing in North America. My best guess is the Headwater Catfish Ictalurus lupus.

And yes, the differences are subtle, almost as in the real animals. In the figures, it's in the ventral arrangement and the barbel placement, plus other detail around the head. I had to look several times to be sure I had a different figure!

bmathison1972

Some 4D Master beetles: Dynastes hercules, Dorcus grandis grandis, Megasoma elephas, M. actaeon, and Rhaetulus speciosus.

free image uploader

sbell

It took me 3 months (thanks to poor postal service...) but I just received a most holy grail--the partner to the Safari Desert pupfish--the Razorback Sucker!

It's a terrible photo, but a cool figure! I'll do a walkaround at some point!

sbell

Quote from: sbell on April 11, 2017, 03:16:48 AM
It took me 3 months (thanks to poor postal service...) but I just received a most holy grail--the partner to the Safari Desert pupfish--the Razorback Sucker!

It's a terrible photo, but a cool figure! I'll do a walkaround at some point!

Okay, a mistake--it's a Bonytail Chub, another ciritically endangered fish. But there is a Razorback. And a Colorado Pikeminnow. And a (I think) Gila trout. And a Loach Minnow.

Unfortunately...these are prety impossible to track down.

widukind

Beautieful fish additions :)

bmathison1972

Some goodies today.

First, three Sega DX beetles: Dynastes hercules, Mesotopus tarandus, and Dorcus titanus palawanicus. Thanks to Beetleguy for alerting me to these!

gifs upload

Next, the COMPLETE Kitan Club Barnacle set. Lucky to have this; it made another worldwide tour thanks to another botched mailing by Brett (more on that later...). I will do a review in the walkaround section soon, so tune in there for names, etc.

gifs upload

widukind