News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Four BIG scarabs. I would have waited and added these to recent post, but this package was lost in the mail for a little bit and I wasn't sure when I'd be getting it.

First of all, flying Dynastes hercules by Subarudo (2007). This is my first 'flying' large figure! Next, a D. neptunus from Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. (2001) with a purplish tinge. Lastly, two large figures by Sega (2003): Megasoma actaeon and Mesotopus tarandus. With these, the pronotum, elytra, and body are solid one-piece (head too, with Mesotopus), and only the legs and Megasoma head are movable. The Mesotopus is not the same as the DX model (but same size). Are these earlier versions of DX? Precursors? Will be interested to see what Beetle Guy says!

Beetle guy

Sega made al lot of one piece models next to the DX ones.

Many, not all of these use corresponding molds or  parts of the molds across the three SEGA lines of big beetle models.
Here is what I know (with the * i have in my collection);

SEGA BEETLES IN BLISTER PACKAGE
Big SEGA beetles one piece (or not poseable) with a tradingcard with information on the species included;
1) D. hercules
2) C. atlas
3) A. dichotomus (looks like flying one)*
4) H. parryi (looks like flying one)
5) O. burmeisteri (looks like flying one)
6) D. binodolosus*
7) A. rosenberghi (looks like flying one)*
8  P. giraffa
9) H. Mandibularis
10) D. palawanicus*
11) M. elephas (looks like flying one)*
12) M. acteon (looks like flying one)*
13) P. inclinatus*
14) M. tarandus
To beetle or not to beetle.

Beetle guy

SEGA BEETLES with strap and card attached (no package)
Big SEGA beetles one piece (or not moveable) It is a series with very different styles of sculpture);
(With * = in my collection)

1) D. hercules (blue, looks like the flying one)
2) C. caucasus
3) A. dichotomus (bigger model looks like DX one only bigger)*
4) M. acteon*
5) P. giraffa (new mold, looks like flying one)
6) A. rosenberghi (same as 1st series and looks like flying one)*
7)  C. Moelenkampi (best of the series very acurate)*
8   D. alcides
9) D. satanas*

Beetle guy

SEGA big FLYING beetles in BLISTER PACKAGE (same as series 1 of wingless beetles) (*= in my collection)

Line up:
1) M. acteon*
2) M. elephas*
3) O. burnmeisteri*
4) A. rosenberghi*
5) C. caucasus
6) D. hercules yellow
7) D. hercules blue
8  M. tarandus
9) P. giraffa*
10) A. dichotomus*
11) H. parryi *

widukind

bmathison1972

Some buggies for Blaine!

First, some butterfly magnets by Koro Koro. They are neat but the wings are uncoated/unlaminated paper, so one must be careful with them. I am thinking of sealing them or laminating them somehow...
Left to right, top to bottom (*new species for me; **new genus for me):

Old World swallowtail (Papilio machaon)
small white (Pieris rapae)
Midorishijimi (Neozephyrus japonicus)
blue admiral (Kaniska canace)**
Eurasian white admiral (Limenitis camilla)*
Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus)**
spangle (Papilio protenor demetrius)
painted lady (Vanessa cardui)
small copper (Lycaena phlaeas)

Next, a 'blister pack' of scarab beetles from a company called Maruka (new to me). Eight figures, each about the size of small Sega figures. Probably influenced by Sega and/or Kabaya. The figures are marketed at the species level:

001: Dynastes hercules
002: Lucanus cervus (nice, not another maculifemoratus!!)
003: Chalcosoma moellenkampi
004: Prosopocoilus giraffa keisukei
005: Prosopocoilus inclinatus
006: Allomyrina dichotoma
007: Chalcosoma caucasus
008: Megasoma elephas

Third, a 'Coca Cola' premium of Prosopocoilus inclinatus by a currently unknown brand. Hope Beetle Guy or someone recognizes who made it. The figure is about 30 mm (minus appendages) and the base is about 35 mm in diameter.

Lastly, the B.I.G. Insects series for 2017 by Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. The Chalcosoma caucasus and Lucanus maculifemoratus are the same from last year, but the smooth elytra are plastic and not metal this time! The Dynastes hercules and Allotopus moellenkampi (NOT rosenbergi!) are new (also with plastic elytra). But the one I am most excited for is the ant, which I assume represents the Japanese carpenter ant, Camponotus japonicus [walk-around coming tonight or tomorrow). Every year these sets have one non-scarabaeoid. The last two years they were mantids (different sizes/sculpts) and in 2014 was a buthid scorpion.

Beetle guy

Nice!

I think the bottle cap P. inclinatus (from a series of 6 I believe) was given as a toy by a happy meal or something like it.

widukind

Interesting, also that information :)

bmathison1972

Got some new stuff this week.

First of all, just got back from 3 days in San Francisco (to watch baseball games) and there found a shop that sells MANY Safari TOOB and Good Luck Mini figures, individually in little bins! A great way to mix-and-match TOOB figures. I have all the TOOB arthropods, but it gave me an opportunity to get to GLMs I am lacking, the lobster and the scorpion. Also there was a small hard plastic lady bug from an unknown manufacturer. On the underside it's simply marked 'West Germany' and 'ges.gesch.m.r.152'. Anyone have any ideas?

Next three vintage (?) model kits by Ertl - Aluminum Metal Toys in their 'Gingantics' Series. They are designed to be dioramas depicting giant insects as monsters. I, of course, will not display them as such. I only plan on building the insects and not the rest of the dioramas. I might even take artistic liberties to paint them as interesting species.

bmathison1972

Migratory locust by Kaiyodo - Natural Monuments (but not part of the Natural Monuments of Japan Series). This is apparently a different sculpt from the original Chocoegg figure (which I do not technically have; I have a 10 Year Anniversary version released by Furuta). Thanks to Beetle Guy for alerting me to this on eBay--it was worth the effort and money!

AcroSauroTaurus

This guy just came in the mail today, all the way from Japan. The Kaiyodo Revoltech Molten Tigrex! (fictional animals count, right?)

(more photos in my collection thread on the DTF)
I am the Dinosaur King!

bmathison1972

Got a bunch of rarities, thanks again to Beatrice!!!!

First, some K&M and PV figures.

First row, three from the PV Fleas, Lice, and Ticks set: dust mite (Dermatophagoides farinae), cat flea (Ctenocephalides felis), and bed bug (Cimex lectularius)
Second row, two crabs from K&M's Kelp Forest (left) and Coral Reef (right) tubes.  I have identified the coral crab as Carpilius corallinus; not sure about the kelp crab. Looks kind of like Ovalipes ocellatus but not sure if that species is associated with kelp. The traditional 'kelp crabs' (genus Pugettia) look nothing like this.
Third row, two more from the PV Bees, Wasps, and Hornets set: plasterer bee (genus Colletes - 98 species in North America, so a specific species difficult to determine) and virescent green metallic bee (Agapostemon virescens).

Next, 10 of the 12 figures in Club Earth's Backyard Bugs set. These are small (20 mm on average) and simple, but charming. I seem to be missing a stag beetle and a red beetle (ladybug?). Left to right, top to bottom:
1. spider
2. spider
3. spider
4. grasshopper
5. cicada
6. bed bug, Cimex lectularius (the MAIN reason I wanted these)
7. rhino beetle (Allomyrina dichotoma--can't get away from this species lol)
8. fly
9. ant
10. scorpion
[I am sure the spiders represent specific things but I cannot say what's what]

widukind

widukind

My zoo news for June 2017.

bmathison1972

Goodies from three sources all came today....

The giant isopod (Bathynomus giganteus) and giant ostracod (Gigantocypris agassizii) from the second Nature Techni Colour deep sea sets. The isopod is the same figure from their isopod-centric set from a year or two ago, so if you don't need another don't waste your money on this one.
The CollectA Olenoides, courtesy of Halichoeres! Smaller than I expected but that's OK. Space is becoming scarcer lol
Last a vintage rubber head louse (the bottom is stamped 'Steven's Pixie Toys'). As a parasitologist I cannot resist another louse! Got this guy on ebay for a few dollars.

sbell

I had a fishy day today!

Success! Despite the attempts of the USPS and Canada Post...not sure which...I was able to get most of the Arizona fishes from Marsh & Associates!

I already had the Bonytail Chub (centre front) and Desert pupfish (back right).

The new ones are Colorado Pikeminnow (upper left), Apache Trout (front left) and Loach Minnow (front right).

They are very cool! Now I just need to hunt down a Razorback sucker!

And most are still available from the Marsh & Associates site--I got the last Loach minnow, and they are out of razorbacks.

But the others are still there. And you can get stickers and a plush razorback as well!

If you like fish or education, stop by their store! http://www.marsheducation.org/?page_id=75

But it was even more fishy this week! Thanks to the Tetrapod Zoology redbubble store, I also got a sticker, card and shirt with Darren Naish's bichir art! Plus Marsh sent me extra AZ fish stickers! Some of the things:

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on July 29, 2017, 04:45:55 AM
I had a fishy day today!

Success! Despite the attempts of the USPS and Canada Post...not sure which...I was able to get most of the Arizona fishes from Marsh & Associates!

The new ones are Colorado Pikeminnow (upper left), Apache Trout (front left) and Loach Minnow (front right).

And most are still available from the Marsh & Associates site--I got the last Loach minnow, and they are out of razorbacks.

But the others are still there. And you can get stickers and a plush razorback as well!

If you like fish or education, stop by their store! http://www.marsheducation.org/?page_id=75

But it was even more fishy this week! Thanks to the Tetrapod Zoology redbubble store, I also got a sticker, card and shirt with Darren Naish's bichir art! Plus Marsh sent me extra AZ fish stickers! Some of the things:

Nice Sean! Together you and I will bring attention to neglected animal groups in toy form  ;)

I hope to see walkarounds of these, or maybe a review of the entire set (if complete!).

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 29, 2017, 01:11:29 PM
Quote from: sbell on July 29, 2017, 04:45:55 AM
I had a fishy day today!

Nice Sean! Together you and I will bring attention to neglected animal groups in toy form  ;)

I hope to see walkarounds of these, or maybe a review of the entire set (if complete!).

It's not a complete set yet. I still need the Razorback sucker. Which they are out of from the source...there are ways, but I'm not sure yet.

Maybe once I have all six.

bmathison1972

More rare goodies courtesy of Halichoeres: Diramix Anomalocaris (didn't know they were rubbery) and COG Ltd Opabinia and Hallucigenia. Both of these companies are new for me!

bmathison1972

Am I the only one getting new figures lately?  :P

Kaiyodo EXPO Bathyonomus giganteus, new for 2017. This is the same sculpt (albeit with a nicer paint job and fancier base) as their Deep Sea Life figure from 2014.

Next the complete Larvae Moei set by Shineg! Review coming soon.

Lastly Hexarthrius mandibularis, Prosopoloilus dissimilis, and Dynastes hercules from the 2017 F-Toys Insect Hunter set. These are not new for F-toys but they are all new for me.