Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Lots of buggies for Blaine. It's been a while, but a parcel today from Marcel (beetleguy) has loaded me up!

First, seven more figures of my last Holy Grail set: Insect Directory by Kabaya! I only need three more from this set!!!

The figures I got today include Cyclommatus elephus, Coccinella septempunctata, Dynastes hercules (flying), Golofa porteri, Hymenopus coronatus, Allomyrina dichotoma, and Macrodontia cervicornis. The little anime-like A. dichotoma was a freebie thrown in for fun (among others).

Next 9 figures by Sega with articulated parts (I call them 'snap' figures for lack of a better term). The figures are somewhat generic so for now my IDs are somewhat tentative. Left to right, top to bottom:

1) Eupatorus gracillicornis
2) Dorcus hopei
3) Dynastes neptunus
4) Megasoma mars
5) Prosopocoilus inclinatus
6) Hexarthrius mandibularis (?)
7) Allomyrina dichotoma
8 ) Chalcosoma atlas
9) Xylotrupes gideon

Next some bigger beetles, Megasoma mars and Dynastes hyllus (a new species for me) from Sega DX Series. Also, a green cetoniinae (thinking a Dicronorhina species) from 4D Famemaster.

Lastly a BUNCH of Sega small figures. I have gotten a ton of these from Marcel, they are essentially a mini version of the DeAgostini set haha. From left to right, top to bottom (* new species for me; ** new genus for me):

1) Beckius beccarii
2) Beckius koletta*
3) Megasoma mars
4) Megasoma gyas rumbucheri*
5) Neolucanus maximus*
6) Oryctes gigas
7) Odontolabis duivenbodei*
8 ) Golofa pizarro
9) Prosopocoilus fabricea*
10) Strategus mandibularis**
11) Trichogomphus martabani*
12) Dorcus grandis
13) Dynastes hyllus*
14) Xylotrupes gideon
15) Dynastes satanas
16) Xylotrupes pubescens*
17) Sphaenognathus feisthameli**
18) Lucanus gamunus
19) Dorcus rubrofemoratus

brontodocus

Oh wow, what a stupendous haul! :o Congrats, Blaine! 8) I have the 4D Master/Famemaster flower beetle, too. Yes, most likely they intended to make it look like A Dicronorhina, probably D. micans. The head looks a bit more like Cyprolais (usually considered a subgenus of Eudicella and formerly known as Coelorrhina) but those would be quite flat-bodied and slender so Dicronorhina is more likely.

Beetle guy

Glad they arrived in good health ;-)
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Scorpion Sunday for Blaine. Two 2016 figures: 'Scorpion' by Papo (walk-around coming in a few minutes) and Scorpion Nest by Schleich. I cannot tell in the latter if it is the same mold as the Death Valley Set (I haven't unpacked them yet from my recent move).

Jetoar

Really good acquisitions. I have the PapoScorpion and it is really beautiful  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sauroid

the chelae of the black scorpion look like those of Pandinus

bmathison1972

Arthropods (and pan-arthropods) from the 2016 Cambrian Creatures Mini Model, Burgess Shale Series by Kinto-Favorite (a review of all figures coming shortly):

sbell

I also just got the whole Cambrian series from Favorite!

And my son got this monster!

That is next to the Favorite Softmodel coelacanth (and a tiny Colorata one, and a Safari diver). It is ridiculous!

brontodocus

Quote from: sbell on September 30, 2016, 02:37:01 AM
Oh, wow! :o 8) Definitely one of the better softplay figures. I might get one of those, too. You know, I'm still thinking about printing out the Canon Creative Park Coelacanth enlarged to life size... eventually, just maybe...

sbell

Quote from: brontodocus on September 30, 2016, 07:26:36 AM
Oh, wow! :o 8) Definitely one of the better softplay figures. I might get one of those, too. You know, I'm still thinking about printing out the Canon Creative Park Coelacanth enlarged to life size... eventually, just maybe...

That would be a really big piece of paper!

stargatedalek

If you ever do please save the edited document files, I'd love to try that someday!

bmathison1972

Buggies for Blaine!

First, Protolindenia (an extinct dragonfly) by Rebor. This figure is actually an accessory to a Compsognathus figure. Thanks Helge for the trade!

Next four figures in Takara Tomy's 2016 B.I.G. insects set, brown and black figures each of Chalcosoma caucasus and Lucanus maculifemoratus. The figures are smaller than typical B.I.G. figures, are rather sleek, and totally monochromatic. Also, as a twist, the elytra are metal. Probably didn't need both color forms of both species, esp since both are commonly made by Japanese mfrs. There was a mantid in this set too; I didn't originally get it as I thought it was the same as the 2015 figure but I think they are different and I may pursue it after all!

Chalcosoma caucasus and Dynastes neptunus from F-toy's 2016 Beetle Battle set.

Dynastes hercules, Dorcus hopei binodulosos, and D. titanus (=D. palawanicus) by Takara Tomy's 2016 B.I.G. beetles set. And these ones are indeed BIG, and nice, especiallu the D. titanus, which is not made as much as its hopei cousin.

Last, but far from least, the 'tacky insect' set by Kaiyodo, new for 2016. I'll do a review of the set tonight or this weekend. Figures include Adanson's house jumping spider (Hasarius adansoni), commercial silk moth (Bombyx mori), multicolored Asian lady beetle (Harmonia axyridis, in 2 color forms), house fly (Musca domestica), and the smokybrown cockroach (Periplaneta fuliginosa, nymph).
These figures are slightly smaller than typical gashapon, but larger than I anticipated (based on publicity photos) and are all very well done. They come highly recommended.

Beetle guy

Beetle guy

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on October 15, 2016, 06:26:38 PM
Quote from: Beetle guy on October 15, 2016, 06:26:05 PM
Nice :) Rebor is that a brand?

yeah Rebor makes dinosaur figures mostly. If you go to DTF you can see threads with more info.

stargatedalek

I recommend avoiding REBOR in general, they're a company with a deplorable state of public affairs and dinosaurs stolen from popular media.

But alas, I couldn't resist that Protolindenia either.

brontodocus

Oh, wow, that Protolindenia figure! :o - Brilliant, this one actually co-occured with Compsognathus in the Solnhofen limestone!

Quote from: sbell on October 01, 2016, 05:54:44 AM

That would be a really big piece of paper!
Exactly. But when the sheets are printed on A0 instead of A4 paper with a plotter, the template would be four times its original size. The original model should be around 38 cm long so printed in A0 it should be 1.52 m. Of course, printing out these would probably cost around €100 or so.
Quote from: stargatedalek on October 07, 2016, 01:14:12 AM
If you ever do please save the edited document files, I'd love to try that someday!
Well, I didn't plan to edit the templates, I was thinking about using an A0 plotter or similar to print out the sheets in a magnified version. Editing them to fit on A4 or letter format would be too time consuming and not reasonable since many parts would end up being far larger than A4. I'm still concerned about stability, of course it should be 300g/sqm or stronger but I wonder if this will be enough to prevent the model from collapsing under its own weight... :-\

A few (actually not so new) additions from June to September but somehow I haven't photographed them, yet. I'm especially happy about my first ever Megasoma gyas figure! :-) Many thanks to Beetleguy for the insect figures, my mother for the Schleich Red Deer stag, and Helge for the Favorite Polypterus endlicherii!

stargatedalek

If you were to build it using card paper you could try using hot glue to assemble it, it wouldn't be as strong as dry white or krazy glue but it would make assembly of something that large a lot easier.

Jetoar

Really nice acquisitions  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

bmathison1972

some new things over the last couple weeks. I have already done walkarounds for a couple of them, but was waiting for a few stragglers to come in for the group pic.

The Jasman mantid and New Ray treehopper have walkarounds. Also new recently are Pentecopterus by Jetoar's Paleo-Creatures, green darner dragonfly by Safari LTD (The big Smithsonian one), and a red-kneed tarantula by Think Toys (Asian knock-off of 4D FameMaster, but a nice one nonetheless)