Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 21, 2016, 11:10:58 PM
Quote from: sbell on August 21, 2016, 10:49:51 PM
I haven't really had much to put up for a while.

I did, however, recently receive a few new ones from Japan, courtesy of Brett!

Three plecos from Epoch (gold dust, albino and red-eye panaque); I actually ended up wtih two gold-dust plecos.

I was curious if you'd get the Plecos. I got the three bee shrimp that completed the set. Quite small and simple, much smaller than I had anticipated.

I saw an opportunity, and they weren't too expensve. But yeah, they are tiny--I'm pretty sure that they could have just painted them like real, small species (like clown plecos) and it would have worked just as well. But there aren't a whole lot of loricariids, so why not a few more?

sauroid

too bad i cant view the pleco pics

sbell

Roger on STS was able to make it work. I must steal his secrets...

Three plecos from Epoch (gold dust, albino and red-eye panaque); I actually ended up wtih two gold-dust plecos.

And, the Lepidotes that was included with the Dino Expo 2016 Real Spinosaurus. Didn't get the dinosaur, happy to have the fish!

I also recently got the Schleich Dunkleosteus. I still like the Safari better, but it's pretty good.

bmathison1972

Interesting; I had no trouble viewing them initially, but now I cannot. However I can see the reposts OK

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 23, 2016, 12:55:24 AM
Interesting; I had no trouble viewing them initially, but now I cannot. However I can see the reposts OK

This is very ridiculous!

How about now?

sauroid

^^^ that one i cant view.

sbell

Quote from: sauroid on August 23, 2016, 08:45:11 AM
^^^ that one i cant view.

All right. I give up. No idea what is going on. I think I finally got them working on the STS forum...it should be the same. :-\

sbell

Check it out! I went for so long without new figures, and now I have more in the same week!

But this time, it's going to seem like almost mythological figures, after 3 years of waiting...

I present--3 FaunaCasts models!

...assuming that I get the photos right...

First off--A full scale Ptilodus! This was first created for a diorama in the museum I ran, for a Paleocene scene. Then, I needed another for our hands-on stuff. That didn't happen, but he did send me one!

Next, some of his real, actually-available models...

A spotted hyena (told you, Roger!). Again, I am the first to have one of these (not sure how many there would be) but he has posted photos of it before.

And a real, one-of-a-kind gem, a short-faced bear, Arcotdus simus

As far as I know, I am the first one to see this finished model, and probably one of the few that will own one!

(Again, I really hope these photos work. I have put two versions of each up--if you can see only one, please tell me if is is the one marked with a 1 or a 2. Then I will have solved the mystery forever! For now...)

bmathison1972

1 came in for all 3; 2 came in only for the second one.

I have been able to see your images initially, but then they disappear for me too. Wierd.

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on August 25, 2016, 03:43:45 AM
1 came in for all 3; 2 came in only for the second one.

I have been able to see your images initially, but then they disappear for me too. Wierd.

I kind of thought that might happen, although both seem to work for anyone that lets me know. How strange.

sauroid

i cant see pic 2 of Ptilodus and pic 2 of Arctodus

brontodocus

Quote from: sauroid on August 25, 2016, 06:35:30 AM
i cant see pic 2 of Ptilodus and pic 2 of Arctodus
Exactly the same here! So I can see both pictures with the hyena but only the first one of the Ptilodus and Arctodus. And congrats, Sean, especially the Ptilodus is awesome. :o

brontodocus

A figure collecting hiatus that lasted three months or so is finally over.

Phew, what a relief... :)

sauroid

whoah Dr. Andre, what a comeback!
i have a lot of accumulated new acquisitions, just dont have the inspiration and motivation to post lately. :\

widukind

Quote from: brontodocus on September 01, 2016, 03:00:38 PM
A figure collecting hiatus that lasted three months or so is finally over.

Phew, what a relief... :)

Great additions!!!

Jetoar

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sauroid

is the Schleich Barapasaurus worth buying? i have to see it personally

stargatedalek

Quote from: sauroid on September 07, 2016, 05:34:42 AM
I saw one at DeSerres the other day and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're looking for a sci-fi sauropod. It has an interesting and unique design, and it's well sculpted compared to most Schleich. But as a realistic sauropod, let alone as any specific genera, it falls short on oh so many levels.

sauroid

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 08, 2016, 02:07:06 AM
I saw one at DeSerres the other day and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're looking for a sci-fi sauropod. It has an interesting and unique design, and it's well sculpted compared to most Schleich. But as a realistic sauropod, let alone as any specific genera, it falls short on oh so many levels.
it sorta reminds me of a Ray Harryhausen creature.

brontodocus

Many thanks, altogether! :)
Quote from: sauroid on September 08, 2016, 04:15:22 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on September 08, 2016, 02:07:06 AM
it sorta reminds me of a Ray Harryhausen creature.
That's about the same as my thoughts are about it. It's very unique, nicely sculpted, quite big and heavy (566 g), too - though not as large as the big, retired ReplicaSaurus sauropods. The colouration and head sculpt are quite freakish, the red colour makes the head look a bit, err, flayed... :-X The pose is strange and a bit awkward. The hands are not c-shaped in cross section, however I think it's not known whether Barapasaurus had the same hand anatomy as advanced sauropods. At least there is only one thumb claw on the hand and only three claws on the foot. I'd say Schleich has done much worse before.