Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stemturtle

Quote from: brontodocus on April 27, 2016, 10:06:00 PM
... In the meantime, my collection of 3b Scientific Central European amphibians and reptiles is slowly growing... really slowly, this is my ninth model over the last two years or so... a bit tiny, but still:

Brontodocus, the common viper looks alive. Nice acquisition.

postsaurischian

brontodocus

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 30, 2016, 05:47:44 PM
^-^  It has arrived! (... and it's awesome!!!)
Yay, congrats, Helge! :D I've also seen photos a fellow collector posted on fb so I already knew that the colours would be as awesome as expected. Argh, mine is still in customs at Frankfurt airport... :'(
Oh, and Sean, congrats, too, good to see the Favorite fish set is already available! 8)

postsaurischian

Quote from: brontodocus on April 30, 2016, 06:34:38 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on April 30, 2016, 05:47:44 PM
^-^  It has arrived! (... and it's awesome!!!)
Yay, congrats, Helge! :D I've also seen photos a fellow collector posted on fb so I already knew that the colours would be as awesome as expected. Argh, mine is still in customs at Frankfurt airport... :'(

Thanks, Andre!
Strange customs! Mine arrived at my door within a week after I had paid (Bravo, HLJ!). I had to pay the postman for the import taxes.
I hope they'll release yours soon. We want to see and read your walkaround ;D.

The shipping for the thing was massive, but I do not regret anything O:-).

Jetoar

Hi friends. I show my last acquisitions  ^-^.

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

postsaurischian

Congrats Jetoar! I'd like to see an unpacked pic of the "Jaws" Great White.

AcroSauroTaurus

Wow, thats an awesome haul Jetoar! ;D
I am the Dinosaur King!

Jetoar

Thanks friends. I will show Bruce soon  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

bmathison1972

some new ones this week; it's been a while--2016 isn't starting off as well for arthropods as 2015 did.

First three bee shrimp by Epoch. Interesting, I recently posted the Aquakitz bee shrimp and noted that had not been made before. Now, Epoch has made three. The figures are very small (25 mm) and very simple. They come across more as accessories than figures. There are three color forms, which appear to be the crystal black (black/white), crystal red (red/white), and the blue bee (blue); the black and blue are wild forms, while the crystal red is a domestic variety. Each figure comes with a cave/rock (interestingly, the caves are all different sculpts!)
The set also came with 3 Plecos, again different color forms of the same species/sculpt.

Keeping the shrimp theme going, the big dark one in the background is a cheap one I found really cheap on eBay, of unknown manufacturer.

stemturtle

Recent acquisition of a figure released in 2003.

Mock Turtle, Alice's Adventures in Figureland #09, by Kaiyodo

While transitioning from Picasa to Google Photos, turns out that the share icon is mandatory to upload to ATF.
Edit: image is from Picasa.

sbell

Just received! 5 out of the 6 new Kaiyodo Deep-Sea aquarium models!

I wasn't too concerned about getting the two squid, although the lot I purchased had the vampire squid.

More important was the 4 fish!

Goblin shark--incredibly detailed, even if they have been done before:

Giant oarfish--again, it has been done many times, but this one is really, really nice:

The vampire squid (again, not the first time for this species):

Now the two more unusual ones!

I was pleasantly surprised by the 'Green Husa monkfish', a figure I wasn't really persuing, but am glad to have gotten:

For the record, the only figure that is not actually attached to the base.

And the one that, seriously, I was soooo happy to see made as a figure! A long-snouted lancetfish! So cool-looking! Look at those teeth!

Once again, we have a winning set from kaiyodo. I will probably track down the 6th, a colossal squid, at some point. But there are other things to get first!

AcroSauroTaurus

Wow! The figures look beautiful, I will be getting them later this year.
I am the Dinosaur King!

bmathison1972

14 beetles for Blaine, courtesy of BeetleGuy!! They are all small Sega Figures. Sega is essentially 'mini-DeAgostini' haha, with so many species! In addition to these below, I have more coming via Brett from Japan.

Illustrated here; top to bottom, left to right:
*new species for me
** new genus for me

stag beetle, Dorcus tityus*
stag beetle, Dorcus rectus*
stag beetle, Aegus platydon**
stag beetle, Dorcus hopei binodulosus
stag beetle, Dorcus alcides
stag beetle, Neolucanus delicatus
stag beetle, Odontolabis imperialis*
stag beetle, Prosopocoilus hasterti
stag beetle, Odontolabis spectabilis
stag beetle, Odontolabis burmeisteri
rhinoceros beetle, Augosoma centaurus
elephant beetle, Megasoma anubis*
rhinoceros beetle, Licomedes buckleyi**
rhinoceros beetle, Dipelicus cantori**

Beetle guy

Hi Blaine, sorry I made a little mistake. The second one of the las row is Allomyrina pfeifferi celebensis.
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on June 09, 2016, 07:40:06 AM
Hi Blaine, sorry I made a little mistake. The second one of the las row is Allomyrina pfeifferi celebensis.

Thanks, noted. Still a new species and actually a better option in my opinion :)

pelycosaurus

My collection pics of the last 2 months

BugFolk

Just wondering where do people find all these awesome insect figurines?  Are they all purchased off ebay or purchased cheaper in a local supply chain?  Because I really want to collect some but they are quite a bit expensive the ebay way. Shipping alone  (usually priced somewhere between $3.99-12) makes even a simple figure about $15+. A set will run me up about $35-50+. (budget wise I only allow myself to acquire a few new ones per year.)

I'm guessing members here who have easy access to such insect figurines are not from the United States?  Because here in the United states our choices of insect figures are *extremely* limited.  Safari ltd - bin type insects, need I say more?

(okay out of the larger toys I might be lucky to find either the black widow spider, the monarch butterfly, and maybe the praying mantis or a lady bug here and there, but that is it.  Very sadly it... Also the *only* place that seems to sell any of these insect toys is giftshop in a local zoo/ conservatory. They recently seemed to have added the insect lore/ safari lifecycle packages for the honeybee, luna moth, and monarch, but I suspect that is only because they are going to have a butterfly exhibit.  But other stores?  Why?  They give me a blank stare when I say I want insect figurines, even though they may have a huge selection of other animals.

What became of the United States and insect toys? >:( Then again I guess the attitude in general towards anything crawling is terrible at best. and we are seeing it with a number of our bee species going endangered too. :'(

Okay, end of my rant for now.

stargatedalek

The other day I bought a third (yes third) Squawkers McCaw/Macaw with the hope of hacking/reprogramming it as a summer project. No luck on that yet, but in the meantime I skinned it (and repainted some of the parts to look more like a robotic parrot, rather than like the insides of a robotic parrot).

And just a few minutes ago one of my two (the other was Saurian early access) grading gifts for myself arrived. The largest AAA moray eel is about 50cm long along the spine.

bmathison1972

Buggies for Blaine:

1) First a complete set of the Takara TOMY A.R.T.S. Beetles of the World set from 2001. These are small figures (maybe 15-20 mm), slightly smaller than Sega figures and come in plastic display boxes like DeAgostini figures. The bottom of the box has the Japanese and Latin names, and gender. There are 8 figures, male and female each of: Prosopocoilus inclinatus, Dorcus curvidens, Allomyrina dichotoma, and Lucanus maculifemoratus. None of these species are new and exciting but getting females of each of them was a treat! The pic below doesn't do them justice.

2) Giant isopod by Takara TOMY A.R.T.S. Shinkaizoku set, new this year for 2016. The Shinkaizoku figures are styalized and cartoony, but luckily the isopod is the least cartoony of the lot. The figure is small, roughly 15 mm (don't have it handy to measure) and comes as a key chain. I had a hard time imaging this one and keeping it in focus  >:( !

3) Four beetle figures, the first three by Sega and the fourth by W.S.P.: Prosopocoilus wallacei (new species for me), Chiasognathus granti, Rhyssonotus nebulosis (new genus and species for me!), and Allotopus rosenbergi.

4) Lastly, 4 butterflies and moths by Koro Koro (Kidsroom, 2016). Probably more decor for a child's bedroom. They are not attributable to a given species and come with a small magnet. Nothing exciting but I was curious about them so I got them.

stargatedalek

Acquisitions for June and July:

Schleich Alligator Boxed Set - Not normally one for Schleich, but at $4 I practically felt obligated to buy them!

Papo Barn Owl and Albino(?) Nile Crocodile - I chose the albino since being the juvenile it can double as an albino alligator whereas the pigmented version couldn't. Owl paint has been touched up slightly.

Safari ltd. Incredible Creatures Largemouth(?) Bass, Mudpuppy, Red Bellied Piranha, Shrimp, and Goliath Grouper - Been meaning to get most of these for some time, Mudpuppy has been repainted as a hypothetical albino specimen based on related species.

Replica Toy Fish Pike, Long Nosed Gar (adult and juvenile), juvenile Alligator Gar, Yellow Perch, and Pumpkinseed - First time experience with this brand, not disappointed!

Tomy Yveltail - Not my favorite Pokémon by any means but I got a great price on it.

SHFigurearts Sailor Jupiter - First time buying an SHFigurearts figure, must say I prefer Figma but pleased nonetheless.

And of course, the magnificent Flashforge Finder 3D printer!