News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Name that critter

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 14, 2012, 01:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badger

OK, here's one that should be easy:

(a.k.a. Ravonium, on the DTF and STS)

bmathison1972

black-belled, or European, hamster

Isidro

Impossible to find an easier and more unmistakable rodent, hehehehe

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on July 19, 2018, 11:31:44 AM
Impossible to find an easier and more unmistakable rodent, hehehehe

I thought it looked like a hamster, so I did a google search: 'black bellied hamster' and it's the first pic to pop up! LOL

OK I will post my critter later this evening so expect it tomorrow for some of you in Europe :) I have some ideas but want to think about it a little more and I am heading to work soon.

bmathison1972

OK, I came up with one early. You guys will have to keep an eye out for this one...

Beetle guy

Kinorhyncha species? forgive me, I am a layman  :)
To beetle or not to beetle.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on July 20, 2018, 10:07:57 PM
Kinorhyncha species? forgive me, I am a layman  :)

Nope :). I had a hint in the original post.

Isidro

Maybe some Oestridae that can penetrate into your body through your eyes???

Isidro

Found it! Looked at Oestridae able to cause eye problems in humans, and found that both the reindeer botfly (Hypoderma tarandi) and the sheep botfly (Oestrus ovis) are able to cause Ophthalmomyiasis in humans. So checked images of larvae of both species and found the same image for the larvae of Oestrus ovis in Bugguide.

Oestrus ovis is also the only species of botfly that I've seen ever. And only once.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on July 21, 2018, 08:04:48 AM
Found it! Looked at Oestridae able to cause eye problems in humans, and found that both the reindeer botfly (Hypoderma tarandi) and the sheep botfly (Oestrus ovis) are able to cause Ophthalmomyiasis in humans. So checked images of larvae of both species and found the same image for the larvae of Oestrus ovis in Bugguide.

Oestrus ovis is also the only species of botfly that I've seen ever. And only once.

Oh crap I forgot I had posted this to BugGuide. Oh well, kudos to your detective work haha

Yes, this is the first instar of O. ovis. I took this pic from a specimen received when I was at the CDC.

Isidro

Another very easy one. I choose my species random from a list, but the species that appeared is fossil (Anthracosiro woodwardi), and as I think that fossil species are not included in this game, I tried again and obtained this species:

Badger

Isidro

It is... very well known overall for those that have the Collecta model of this species, hehe :D

Badger

OK, here is my species. Here's a (probably exaggerated) hint: the only place it could die from being dehydrated is in space.

bmathison1972

tenebrionid beetle, Stenocara gracilipes.

Badger

I knew you would get this one right! :) You get to choose the next species.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Badger on July 22, 2018, 03:40:04 PM
I knew you would get this one right! :) You get to choose the next species.

OK give me a little time to come up with something fun and creative. Later today I hope.

bmathison1972

Isidro

Well, maybe we can start by enclosing a taxonomic group. It's a Cestode?

Badger

I think the next best step would be to specify a host. I'll ask this:

Does this species parasitise humans?