News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Name that critter

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 14, 2012, 01:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isidro

I still wonder about how you devinated the name of the frog :P

Another lepidopteran:

Badger

(a.k.a. Ravonium, on the DTF and STS)

Beetle guy

Quote from: Isidro on July 28, 2018, 12:40:36 PM
I still wonder about how you devinated the name of the frog :P

Having read a Dutch news article about the frog named after David Attenborough, the Pristimantis attenboroughi.
Then searched the web for the genus and found a simular looking on the page.
Later I noticed the copyright on the picture you had placed. By the name of the photographer I found it also, which went a lot faster ;-).
To beetle or not to beetle.

Isidro

Wow, you are both incredibly GOOD! Yes it's Eunica pusilla, another difficult critter found at first step! Yes I suspected about the search by author for the frog :P next time I will be more careful in choosing an image without watermark :D
Anyway I admire your knowlegde :) I feel good when I find somebody that know more about small, obscure animals than me!

Badger

Quote from: Isidro on July 28, 2018, 05:24:10 PM
Anyway I admire your knowlegde :) I feel good when I find somebody that know more about small, obscure animals than me!

In the case of the butterfly, the image had the species name in the URL. It is undeniable that the internet takes much of the challenge out of this game, which why Blaine using his own image was a very smart move.

My new species:

bmathison1972

Badger

Yes :)

Isidro

Oh, but look at the URL is cheat! :(

Badger

Quote from: Isidro on July 29, 2018, 08:58:38 AM

While there isn't any written rule against looking at the URL, I will compensate by disqualifying myself from the next round and allowing either you or Blaine to pick the next species (depending on who gets there first).

bmathison1972

Isidro

Quote from: Badger on July 29, 2018, 10:32:58 AM
Quote from: Isidro on July 29, 2018, 08:58:38 AM

While there isn't any written rule against looking at the URL, I will compensate by disqualifying myself from the next round and allowing either you or Blaine to pick the next species (depending on who gets there first).

Hehehe, don't need to compensate anything. I will just be more careful on future and will pick only images without taxonomic indications at the URL :)

For the tick... I will try first downclosing to genus level. Dermacentor?

bmathison1972

For starters, you guys should probably not be posting images you find online without permission of the photographer.

Secondly, no the tick is not Dermacentor.

Beetle guy

Gulf coast tick, Amblyomma maculatum?

bmathison1972

Quote from: Beetle guy on July 30, 2018, 07:08:30 AM
Gulf coast tick, Amblyomma maculatum?

Congratulations to my fellow entomologist!  ;D

Beetle guy

bmathison1972

Beetle guy

Yes it is! Eristalis tenax.

The dutch vernacular name is 'Blinde bij'  (blind bee). While it is'nt a bee and not blind  :o
It goes that because the flies mimicry people thought it a bee and because it can't sting people thought it could not hit it's target  :D

bmathison1972

We see them in the clinical labs because they are found in latrines and such. There is data in the literature that they cause myiasis but it's an incidental association; they don't cause myiasis.

OK I am at work now, I'll try to post the next one later tonight when I get home.

bmathison1972

here we go; generic ID OK as the genus- or species-level characters probably not visible in this image.

Beetle guy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 30, 2018, 08:01:57 PM
We see them in the clinical labs because they are found in latrines and such. There is data in the literature that they cause myiasis but it's an incidental association; they don't cause myiasis.

That is a relief they do not cause myiasis! I found many of these in a old wooden vine barrel we have as a water tank for the garden plants.

Here a spider has crabbed an adult fly on the ridge of the barrel.