News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Name that critter

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 14, 2012, 01:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isidro

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 31, 2018, 03:39:41 AMgeneric ID OK

It's enough with family Gordiidae? If not, I will risk with genus Gordius

Isidro

Quote from: Beetle guy on July 31, 2018, 07:02:23 AM
Here a spider has crabbed an adult fly on the ridge of the barrel.

Are you sure that this is Eristalis tenax? I don't think so. Looks like more a Myathropa florea for me. But judging just by underside is difficult.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Isidro on July 31, 2018, 08:21:05 AM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 31, 2018, 03:39:41 AMgeneric ID OK

It's enough with family Gordiidae? If not, I will risk with genus Gordius

gordid is sufficient, yes. It's probably Gordius or Paragordius but the specimen was not obtained for a definitive ID.

Beetle guy

Quote from: Isidro on July 31, 2018, 08:24:18 AM
Quote from: Beetle guy on July 31, 2018, 07:02:23 AM
Here a spider has crabbed an adult fly on the ridge of the barrel.

Are you sure that this is Eristalis tenax? I don't think so. Looks like more a Myathropa florea for me. But judging just by underside is difficult.

Isidro, I am ashamed to say you are right!,
I have seen both species in my garden, but found another photo of spider and fly, which shows a glimps of the thorax. It is Myathropa florea :-[
To beetle or not to beetle.

Isidro

Same than for my photo of the only specimen that I saw of this interesting phylum. What a shame, but after consulting a nematomorph expert, it was stated clear that is not possible to tell a genus by any chance :(

Here is the next creature. Without species name in the file adress, without watermark. The task of ask permission to author in each image will be mostly impossible... if we find an author on the page, we must find a way of contact, if we find it (very improbable), we must write, and in the improbable best of cases, wait long time until receiving a reply, that mostly will be positive, but maybe not... If we follow this line, this game will receive a new photo each month or so :P

bmathison1972

the thing is, if you take someone's image from the internet without their permission, you could be in violation of copyright laws, and I am sure @animaltoyforum wouldn't want that either. Besides, it is a matter of respect to ask or acknowledge someone else's work.

With regards to your pic, it's a sphingid, but I don't know the European fauna (I assume it's European) so I'll leave it for someone more locally familiar with it.

Isidro

About the legal aspects of using images of other people, see this thread: http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=2334.0;topicseen
I was tempted to use my own images only, but then the selection of species would be muuuuuch more narrow, and I only can use a free hosting site with small capacity, or use an extremely complicated and slow way in another site with much bigger capacity. If this forum had an internal image hosting like some forums have, this problem would be solved.

About the hawk moth, nothing should make you think that it's European ;)

Beetle guy

Isidro

Not a Xylophanes, but an alphabetically close genus (big hint)

Beetle guy

Isidro

A bit before... is not the same alphabetical character, just a somewhat close one.

bmathison1972

How about Theretra oldenlandiae? If so, interestingly, I have a figure of its larva!!!

Isidro

It is!!!!! Amazing that even a so obscure species have been made into figurine. Your turn! :)

Beetle guy

I have the caterpillar to!

bmathison1972

it will prob be a day or two before I post something so stay tuned

bmathison1972

OK I captured this pic today. I was hoping to have time to capture a quick image that wasn't an arthropod or a parasite (for a change LOL).

stargatedalek

Is it an Arctic Ground Squirrel?

bmathison1972

Badger

Uinta ground squirrel (Urocitellus armatus)?
(a.k.a. Ravonium, on the DTF and STS)

bmathison1972