News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Name that critter

Started by AnimalToyForum, December 14, 2012, 01:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: Badger on June 01, 2018, 08:21:13 AM
Quote from: Isidro on June 01, 2018, 07:15:25 AM
Pseudoliparis swirei - but only thanks to the Sbell's tip.

You get the other half of the point!

New species:

It is a polychaete worm, the Pompeii worm. ^-^

Here's a new one. Shouldn't be too difficult...

bmathison1972

AnimalToyForum

sbell

Isidro

Yes, that last one is the correct. False killer whale or false orca, Pseudorca crassidens - one of the unfortunately very few species of cetaceans kept in captivity. Shame that I didn't arrived at time.

AnimalToyForum

bmathison1972

sbell

Okay, here goes:

We'll need to be at least somewhat specific.

Badger

OK, the most specific thing I can confidently call it is a deep-sea physonect siphonophore.
(a.k.a. Ravonium, on the DTF and STS)

sbell

Quote from: Badger on July 11, 2018, 04:13:12 PM
OK, the most specific thing I can confidently call it is a deep-sea physonect siphonophore.

That's as far as I know how to be specific on it...so your turn!

Badger

OK, here it is.

A hint: In my country, this butterfly is confined to the coast of a single (slightly) offshore island.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Badger on July 11, 2018, 07:54:08 PM
OK, here it is.

A hint: In my country, this butterfly is confined to the coast of a single (slightly) offshore island.

Looks like genus Melitaea, but without knowing what country you are from (I can't remember if you've mentioned it), I prob cannot go further. But if I am right on the genus, that should be sufficient given the morphologic variety of this genus.

Badger

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 11, 2018, 08:03:25 PM
Looks like genus Melitaea, but without knowing what country you are from (I can't remember if you've mentioned it), I prob cannot go further. But if I am right on the genus, that should be sufficient given the morphologic variety of this genus.

Because I gave the worst clue possible (BTW: I haven't mentioned my country, but it is in the URL of the picture), I'm going to be generous and give you the point ^-^(you would've otherwise gotten half a point), as well as the chance to give us the next creature  :)

bmathison1972

Yes, your location on your profile states 'A Planet Called Earth', so an island of the coast of that would be....the moon?  ;D ;D ;D

OK, here is mine! There should be enough to go on in this pic.

Isidro

I think the siphonophore is in the genus Erenna, but I'm unable to find the species. The Melitaea should be Melitaea cinxia.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 11, 2018, 08:45:36 PM
Yes, your location on your profile states 'A Planet Called Earth', so an island of the coast of that would be....the moon?  ;D ;D ;D

Is it a worm? ;D

bmathison1972

Quote from: animaltoyforum on July 13, 2018, 07:20:06 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 11, 2018, 08:45:36 PM

Is it a worm? ;D

in the broad sense of the common name 'worm', yes :)

Here's a hint. It's relevant to my job!

AnimalToyForum

I just looked up "parasitic worms" on google images but quickly regretted it. :o

little koala

I'm learning a lot here!  :D

Is it a giant roundworm (ascaris lumbricoides) by any chance?

bmathison1972

Quote from: little koala on July 14, 2018, 10:03:38 AM
I'm learning a lot here!  :D

Is it a giant roundworm (ascaris lumbricoides) by any chance?

very good, little koala! I would have also accepted Ascaris suum, since it is generally considered a synonym of A. lumbricoides.

If you know how this works, it is now your turn to post a pic of an animal for us to guess what it is!