News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Turtles

Started by stemturtle, December 08, 2012, 03:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stemturtle

Desert tortoise, Gopherus morafkai, sculpture by Jeff Littlejohn, 1990, carapace length 5.5 in. or about 14 cm.

This figure is not a toy, but it shows how the top of the carapace should be flat for a burrowing turtle rather than domed like the Galapagos tortoise.

bmathison1972

yes, a flatter shell would be better, but the Safari figure is flatter than most Galapagos tortoises, and the 'rim' (can't remember the term) is flat and not raised to accommodate the neck. Also the head is not as boxy as seen with true Galapagos (so really, it's not great for either LOL).

I wonder if this Schleich set is better for a desert tortoise? https://www.happyhentoys.com/schleich-42506-tortoise-home.html

stemturtle

Common snapping turtle, Chelydra serpentina, (My Favorite Animals) by Haiby Sakura, 2016, length 4.25 in. or about 11 cm.

This figure is available in Japan. Member @brettnj helped me with this purchase.
See website: http://animals-haiby.sakura.ne.jp/index.html

The carapace of specimens in Minnesota have a flatter ridge than does this figure.
The pose reminds me of the Kaiyodo CQM snapper.
See photos on Reply #93.

bmathison1972

Schleich 'Tortoise Home', new for 2020. The figure is not identified at the species level, but given its size and pet/zoo association, it probably best represents the Russian tortoise, Agrionemys horsfieldii, and that is what I will database the adult as in my collection.

The set comes with one adult, 3 young tortoises, a log, and a bunch of lettuce (food). The carapace length of the adult is 4.0 cm, making it 1:3.75-1:6.25 in scale. I will only keep the adult, which is a fine figure. If someone wants a Russian tortoise in their collection, this comes recommended!

stemturtle

Wood turtle, Glyptemys insculpta (Toy Major), 1994. ID is speculative.
Carapace length about 2 in. or 5.2 cm.

I came across this obscure figure on Etsy. The word "turtle" is marked on the plastron. The carapace is nicely sculpted, identifying the species.
The neck is too thick. There are traces of black in some crevices, hinting at a history of paint removal.

The Toy Major figure compared to the wood turtle by My Favorite Animals.

Last nesting season, my daughter heroically helped a wood turtle across a highway in northern Wisconsin.

bmathison1972

Hi @stemturtle that's a nice find, and compared to the My Favorite Animals figure, the ID looks sound!

BlueKrono

@stemturtle
Kudos to your daughter for helping her across the road. They're a protected species here in MN. Not sure about WI...
I like turtles.

stemturtle

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 18, 2021, 10:38:23 PM
@stemturtle
Kudos to your daughter for helping her across the road. They're a protected species here in MN. Not sure about WI...

@BlueKrono, yes the wood turtle is protected as a threatened species in both Wisconsin and Minnesota.
I'll relay your kind comment to my daughter.  :)

Burgerenby

@stemturtle The older Schleich tortoise is not a North American desert tortoise, even though Safari mislabeled it as such, it very much is a western Santa Cruz tortoise, Galápagos tortoises don't look all the same.

stemturtle

Quote from: Burgerenby on October 21, 2021, 11:31:00 PM
@stemturtle The older Schleich tortoise is not a North American desert tortoise, even though Safari mislabeled it as such, it very much is a western Santa Cruz tortoise, Galápagos tortoises don't look all the same.

You are correct, @Burgerenby, that the older Schleich tortoise is not a desert tortoise. See photo on Reply # 151 of this thread.
BTW, I like your custom tarsier. You kissed a frog and turned it into a prince!

Burgerenby

Oh, right, I meant to tag @bmathison1972 actually.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Burgerenby on October 22, 2021, 06:55:18 PM
Oh, right, I meant to tag @bmathison1972 actually.

And as I said (somewhere, maybe not on this thread), it's not great for either. But, it's currently the only figure marketed as a desert tortoise, so it will have to do until something better comes along

Burgerenby

I hope Safari decides to make a proper one soon, even if it's only for a Toob, but what they currently market as such definitely doesn't make the cut.

stemturtle

The release of the desert box turtle adds a new subspecies for the collector.
We compare it to the other ornate box turtle subspecies.

Desert box turtle, Terrapene ornata luteola [male] (Kinder Joy - National Park Foundation), carapace length = 1.3 in. or 3.3 cm.
The range is the southwestern U.S. and northern Mexico. The status is threatened.
The head of the figure is articulated. A green head and eyes with red irises indicate a male. The carapace should be more domed.

Ornate box turtle, Terrapene ornata ornata [female] (My Favorite Animals), c. l. = 2 in. or 5.1 cm.
Distribution is the Midwest of the U.S. Although more abundant, several states protect this turtle. My gratitude to @brettnj for his help buying this figure from Japan.

Comparison of the two subspecies, desert and ornate box turtles.

JimoAi

Are there any adult Alligator snapping turtle figure?

stemturtle

Quote from: JimoAi on March 29, 2022, 01:29:31 PM
Are there any adult Alligator snapping turtle figure?

@JimoAi, alligator snapping turtle figures are popular. See the Toy Animal Wiki for some choices.

JimoAi

FB_IMG_1650293829962.jpg my latest chelonians to my collection and a new background for the upcoming Papo leatherback review. @bmathison1972 would it hurt to feature the most famous green turtles on the blog :D jkjk..

stemturtle

Pinta Island tortoise, Chelonoidis nigra abingdonii [ID is speculative],
(Play Visions, Galapagos Islands Wildlife set of 8, 1998), carapace length 1.6 in or 4 cm.

This subspecies may be extinct since Lonesome George died in 2012.
The Galapagos tortoise was not part of the set of 8 PV turtles released in 1998.
I was surprised to find it offered on eBay.

Comparison of PV with Pinta Island tortoise by CollectA in 2013 (on right).

turtlelover

Does anyone have one of these available for sale?

FlaffyRaptors

Has anyone produced a Chinese Golden Coin Turtle model before? It's one of my favourite turtles, and such an elegant species.