News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Turtles

Started by stemturtle, December 08, 2012, 03:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Battatitan on September 08, 2013, 11:52:27 AM
Great repaint, Stemturtle  :D Your customisation shows that AAA's models are actually very nice and a little more attention to colouration would vastly increase their attractiveness.
Well actually he mentioned he corrected the model using milliput...that would imply that there are more problems with the model than just paintwork. Looking at the first two images, you can see a definite change in the facial structure.

But yeah, it's an change for the better :)

They came flying from far away, now I'm under their spell....

stemturtle

Thanks for the replies, Jetoar, Battatitan, and Tyrantqueen. 
The original model has many problems.  I changed only the intolerable errors. 
The Blanding’s is a sweet species.

widukind

Quote from: stemturtle on August 25, 2013, 10:12:29 PM

Antique figure of Eastern box turtle, Terrapene carolina (unknown maker)

Play Visions and antique box turtles

The antique figure is 2.5 inches, 6.5 cm, shown with the PV turtle for scale.
The seller on eBay did not have information about it. 
The weight suggests alabaster. I like the realism.
Where is the dividing line between a toy and a collectible?

Very beautieful  :)

postsaurischian

Nature Techni Colour / Kitan Club  'Nature of Japan Vol.2'
          > Figure No.16  Cuora flavomarginata evelynae - Yellow-margined box turtle

brontodocus

Superbly detailed! :) However, the pose of the NMoJ figure looks a little cuter to me... ;D

tyrantqueen

Quote from: brontodocus on September 04, 2013, 04:01:09 PM
Oh, didn't know about that, sorry. :-\
No problem. Anyway, I have taken new photos and edited my post to include them (as well as mending a ton of other links that got broken) :)

brontodocus

tyrantqueen

Quote from: brontodocus on October 13, 2013, 01:04:34 PM
Yay, great to see your photos are back, tyrantqueen! :)
Thanks, although I haven't fixed them all yet. It's so easy to lose track of links that you make on a forum, and then when you delete or move the photo later on, you forget all about it :-[

brontodocus

I know what you're talking about... Most of my older photos I've linked on the DTF are gone. Well, they are not really gone, I didn't do anything. My image hoster (facebook in this case) changed the url (without notice, they always do everything without notice) so many links don't work anymore. I always planned to edit all those posts and fix it but if there are hundreds of images to restore it's something that can't be done within just a few minutes... :-\

Ana

Beautiful turtle! And I like the last photo very much! :D

docronnie

Beautiful!

I just bought one yesterday, but the color scheme and label are different.  I don't usually buy Turtles unless they are from the Dinotales, but this one really caught my eye.

Do you have a photo of the Ocean 1 version?  TIA!  :)

brontodocus

Quote from: docronnie on November 30, 2013, 11:04:54 PM
Do you have a photo of the Ocean 1 version?  TIA!  :)
I don't know if The Mandarin has it - but if not, I do. :) Hmm, I might grab it out and make a walk-around of that one...? I'd still say the sculpts are probably identical, the Ocean 1 version has more contrast but, admittedly, I like the colour of the Kaiyukan Aquarium version here a little more.

stemturtle

A box of 5 more Larami turtles completes this brand.

Group shot of Larami turtles, Series 2, 1993
Sizes range from 2.5 inches (6.5 cm) to 7.75 inches (19.75 cm).

Loggerhead sea turtle, Caretta caretta

Olive ridley sea turtle, Lepidochelys olivacea

Florida snapping turtle, Chelydra serpentina
Former subspecies C. s. osceola was merged with common snapper.

Alabama map turtle, Graptemys pulchra

Eastern box turtle, Terrapene carolina carolina

See Reply # 59 for updated checklist of Larami turtles.

brontodocus

Great, especially the Olive Ridley Sea Turtle :) It's funny how the Snapping Turtle looks so similar to the Alligator Snapping Turtle posted earlier, as if it was the same sculpt only with a different carapace. The Larami Snapping Turtle Jetoar posted looks quite different from this one, though.

stemturtle

Quote from: brontodocus on December 13, 2013, 04:21:53 PM
Great, especially the Olive Ridley Sea Turtle :) It's funny how the Snapping Turtle looks so similar to the Alligator Snapping Turtle posted earlier, as if it was the same sculpt only with a different carapace. The Larami Snapping Turtle Jetoar posted looks quite different from this one, though.

Brontodocus, you are correct about the reuse of the same mold, changing only the carapace for the Florida and alligator snapping turtles.  The common snapper had a different mold.  My compliments on your powers of observation.

brontodocus

Thanks, stemturtle! :) Although it was just like when I saw it I thought, hey, I've seen this figure before and wasn't it in this thread? And then I found the Alligator Snapping Turtle and looked at both photos from different tabs. I wasn't sure about if they were otherwise really identical but they looked a lot like that.

Jetoar

Loggerhead sea turtle and Olive ridley sea turtle have the same body that Green turtle and Hawksbill Sea Turtle  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

stemturtle

Quote from: Jetoar on December 14, 2013, 10:54:05 AM
Loggerhead sea turtle and Olive ridley sea turtle have the same body that Green turtle and Hawksbill Sea Turtle  ^-^.

Brilliant, Jetoar!  You have solved the mystery of the repeating item numbers on the sea turtles. 
Four of the sea turtles are not marked with common names.
Item # 11 is the same mold for both the hawksbill and olive ridley.
Item # 12 is the green and the loggerhead.
The leatherback has no item #, but is marked with the common name.

Poster of Larami turtles
The sequence of sea turtles is olive ridley and hawksbill,
then loggerhead and green, finally leatherback.
The poster discusses turtles species rather than the toy figures.

Jetoar

Thanks friend, I have this poster and the models that I have said before  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

brontodocus

Oh, and I always forget to post this one here, not quite a toy figure but rather a paper model... Taiwan artist Civi Cheng has published at least three books with animal paper models (I bought all of them directly from him, the other two are focusing on Taiwanese insects). One of them, "Make My Own Ocean Animals", contains templates for a Green Turtle which I built some nine or ten years ago.

So here it is, Green Turtle Chelonia mydas paper model by Civi Cheng, length of carapace 152 mm, scale approx. 1:6 - 1:10. The textures are apparently from photos of actual specimens which looks quite convincing: