News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Turtles

Started by stemturtle, December 08, 2012, 03:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stemturtle

Quote from: brontodocus on March 15, 2013, 07:55:27 AM
Thanks for this excellent reference, stemturtle! :) It's interesting to see that Yujin renamed the PV "Alligator Snapping Turtle" (which had no real resemblance with a real one) Chelydra serpentina and then made a new Alligator Snapping Turtle which does the real species more justice.

Yes, Yujin changed the name of the snapper in Series 1 from Macrochelys to Chelydra. Therefore, we could consider the alligator snapper in the second series as a new species.  It was removed from the first draft of the Series 2 report because it required an explanation.

New species from Series 2 matching miniature from Series 1

Alligator snapping turtle, Macrochelys (Macroclemys) temminckii

Thank you for the comments Ana, postsaurischian, and brontodocus.  It's nice that there are so many of us testudophiles.  :)

Ana

Wow, what an amazing turtle! Congratulations! I didn't know about this figure before. Thank You also for comparison with Snapping turtle. :) 
I also love photos! Thanks for sharing :D

stemturtle

Australian Pleurodira

Photos of pleurodires, side-necked turtles, have been posted by postsaurischian, Reply # 20, by Ana, Reply # 32, and by brontodocus, Reply # 43. Those turtles are from South America and New Guinea. There are no African examples represented as toys.  Here we present species native to Australia.

Group shot of pleurodires, length about 2 inches, 5 cm.

Western swamp tortoise, Pseudemydura umbrina(Cadbury Yowie Playmates Series 1, # 15)

Eastern snake-necked tortoise, Chelodina longicollis (Cadbury Yowie Playmates, Series 1, # 37)

Eastern snake-necked tortoise, Chelodina longicollis (U.K. Cadbury Yowie Playmates, Series 1, # 41)

Red-bellied (painted) short-necked turtle, Emyduyra subglobosa (Cadbury Yowie Playmates, Series 2, # 32)

Photos of additional species are welcome.

Jetoar

Cute collection of turtles  ^-^
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

KathyAnderson

I have this turtle! I don't know where she (I decided mine's a girl) is at the moment, but when i find her, i'll post a pic. She was in my Christmas stocking a few years ago.
I didn't know that she's rare now. Great review!:)
I like Puppy in my Pockets and Littlest Pet Shop.
~Kathy~

brontodocus

Many thanks, Kathy! :) Yes, even though it may not have been discontinued for that long I guess you can call yourself very lucky to have it. And strangely, Leatherback Turtle figures seem scarce, anyways (with the exception of a few recent Japanese figures, of course).

KathyAnderson

You're welcome!
I didn't know that. I would've thought there'd be a lot of leatherback sea turtle figures, since they're the largest kind. (They ARE the largest type of sea turtle, right?)
I like Puppy in my Pockets and Littlest Pet Shop.
~Kathy~

stemturtle

More Larami Turtles

Jetoar posted photos of 5 Larami turtles: Western painted turtle, 3-toed box, snapper, green and hawksbill sea turtles (see Reply # 47).  He also reviewed those as walk-arounds.  Here are 5 more.

Group shot of Larami turtles, sizes range from 2 3/16 inches (5.5 cm) to 9 1/2 inches (24 cm).

Florida box turtle, Terrapene carolina bauri

Yellow-bellied slider, Trachemys scripta scripta

Red-eared slider, Trachemys scripta elegans

Alligator snapping turtle, Macrochelys temminckii

Leatherback sea turtle, Dermochelys coriacea

The small figures are solid, but the larger turtles seem to be hollow when squeezed.

Checklist of Larami Turtles
True Scale Museum Collection 1993

Series 1
Leatherback sea
Alligator snapping
Yellow-bellied
Red-eared
Florida box

Series 2
Loggerhead sea
Olive ridley sea
Florida snapping
Alabama map
Eastern box

Series 3
Green sea
Hawksbill sea
Snapping
Western painted
Three-toed box

Update: the checklist was changed from use of item numbers to grouping by series
because some numbers repeated for different species of sea turtles.

Jetoar

Wonderful turtles, I had a poster with all collection, but I will need look for at home  ^-^.

Varanus

Very impressive collection Stemturtle! :o  I'm rather surprised there's not more Matamata figures out there.

~The Mandarin~

This is the Green sea turtle (Chelonia mydas) from Nature Techni Colour - Kaiyukan Aquarium, Osaka collection. The figurine measures approximately 6cm long which brings the scale around 1:25. This version also appears to be a repaint of the Nature Techni Colour - Ocean 1 version.

AnimalToyForum

Jetoar

Details of scales and colors, are the best points of this figure  ^-^.

brontodocus

Very nice colour scheme, even though it's definitely a repaint of the Ocean 1 figure - even the rock is exactly the same sculpt, e.g. the front of the Ocean 1 version also has that little cavity just below the tip of the turtle's left flipper and the round cavity we can see in the sixth photo. :)

Ana

~The Mandarin~

Third in the Ogasawara series is the Green turtle (Chelonia mydas) set on a coral reef base complete with a pair of Moorish idols (Zanclus cornutus) swimming beneath. The turtle measures approximately 6cm in length (1:25 scale).

widukind

Jetoar

Quote from: widukind on June 19, 2013, 04:32:30 PM
A very realistic turtle  :)

Yes, i think the same that you friend, it is wonderful for dioramas  ^-^.

stemturtle

Florida box turtle, Terrapene carolina bauri (Skilcraft)
Painted with the help of a Sharpie marker.

Have you always assumed that the Skilcraft turtle from the Reptile and Amphibian Kit is an ornate or Western box turtle, Terrapene ornata?   I was surprised to see it identified as an Eastern box turtle in the instructions, as shown in the scan below. 

Instruction sheet and picture from box lid.

The Florida box turtle, Terrapene carolina bauri, which resembles the ornate, is a subspecies of the Eastern. Characteristics shared by both this model and the Florida, but not by the ornate, are:
dorsal keel on second through fourth vertebral scutes,
plastron lacking a distinct pattern of streaks,
2 yellow stripes on the side of the head.

A count of 3 toes on each hind foot is typical for the Florida box turtle, although some populations have 4 toes, as does this model.  T. c. bauri is the only Eastern subspecies having a dark-colored carapace with radiating yellow lines.  Skilcraft did not print the scientific name, so this ID is just my opinion. What do you think?

brontodocus

Wonderful walk-around as always, The Mandarin! :) Love your "underwater" shots! ^-^