News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: Great danes!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

Indeed, this is the ELC. I need all the others though. ;)

EpicRaptorMan

@bmathison1972 there's a couple compelling Muntjac sculpts on Etsy that I was looking at. But they were smaller than I anticipated.

Saarlooswolfhound

Miscellanious asian primates here.

Lots of weird fun facts for a tarsier. If humans had similarly proportioned eyes, they'd be as big as grapefruits! Further, they can jump in surplus of 16 feet and can turn their heads 180 degrees; useful for hunting.

EpicRaptorMan

I have the lion-tailed macaque. Found it on eBay or something. I had since repainted it to be a bit more accurate.

Saarlooswolfhound

Now my Asian antelopes.

The name Nilgai is a fusion of Hindi words for "blue" and "cow". It is also known as the white-footed antelope. They don"t have fat layers for insulation, so if a winter is very cold then it could be fatal.

bmathison1972

Who made that second small saiga? Safari's is one the right, but what about the left?

EpicRaptorMan

@bmathison1972 my guess is it came from the SafariLtd Asian TOOB.

Edit nvm lol. Idk

bmathison1972

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on July 02, 2023, 05:36:12 PM@bmathison1972 my guess is it came from the SafariLtd Asian TOOB

yes, the one on the right is from that TOOB, but what about the one on the left? The sculpt is different (based on leg position)

Oops, a bit too quick lol

bmathison1972

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on June 30, 2023, 07:39:07 AMI have the lion-tailed macaque. Found it on eBay or something. I had since repainted it to be a bit more accurate.

I also bought one on eBay. I didn't repaint, as it would have required repainting the whole thing as matching the black would have been a challenge. But I was able to use a sharpie marker to 'soften' the tail a bit.

NSD Bashe

It looks like a Joy City model?  Never seen that saiga before though.

Saarlooswolfhound

Yes, that is the Joy City Ltd. Endangered Animals tube figure. :) The other little guy is Safari Ltd. from their new toob, and then of course the big one is CollectA.

EpicRaptorMan

Idk what we'd do without CollectA ungulates.

sbell

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on June 30, 2023, 05:04:20 AMMiscellanious asian monkeys here.

Lots of weird fun facts for a tarsier. If humans had similarly proportioned eyes, they'd be as big as grapefruits! Further, they can jump in surplus of 16 feet and can turn their heads 180 degrees; useful for hunting.

I'm just going to be a pedant--lorises and tarsiers aren't monkeys! Primates, yes... ;)

NSD Bashe

So I guess there are three existing toy figures of the saiga in all.  Only knew about the two, thanks for sharing   ;D

There is only one other figure of the saiga I know about, not a toy but a porcelain figure

Saarlooswolfhound

Quote from: sbell on July 02, 2023, 08:50:42 PM
Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on June 30, 2023, 05:04:20 AMMiscellanious asian monkeys here.

I'm just going to be a pedant--lorises and tarsiers aren't monkeys! Primates, yes... ;)

Thank you! My mistake, I often post these in the evening after work... there IS a difference, thank you for catching that and it is fixed in the original post. :)

Everyone else, I am happy to help with saiga model info. ;)

sbell

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on July 02, 2023, 10:54:23 PM
Quote from: sbell on July 02, 2023, 08:50:42 PM

Thank you! My mistake, I often post these in the evening after work... there IS a difference, thank you for catching that and it is fixed in the original post. :)

Everyone else, I am happy to help with saiga model info. ;)

Happy to help!

Saarlooswolfhound

On a happier topic, here are my gibbons.

fun fact: Lar gibbons can cover a distance of 50 feet at 35 mph while brachiating (swinging branch to branch). This makes them the fastest arboreal animals that do not fly/glide!

bmathison1972

you're gibbon us a lot of options to choose from!

Saarlooswolfhound

Saarlooswolfhound

I am doing a slightly early upload as I will be traveling tomorrow. Malayan tapirs!

Fun fact! These are commonly considered to very primitive mammals in their features. They haven't changed externally in the last 20 million years! They are called "P'som-sett" in Thailand, it means something like tl"the mixture is finished", a word that refers to their belief this animal was made up of all the leftover parts from other animals. :D