News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: Great danes!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on September 18, 2024, 08:19:50 PMI guessed about the cats, but that's a neat breed mix for your dog if that is the case. If she is a rescue and that was the shelter's guess- they all too often get it wrong! I also agree about the birds, easy keepers would be best for me if I ever try those out. I guess my comment was more in regard to the tropical birds that can be pets (parrots, cockatiels, etc.).

Puppies are a funny thing; as an owner I get to times when I think "oh its time for a new puppy" but then I stop myself and remember when my younger dog was a puppy... He was challenging in his own way and he really wasn't as bad as some stories I have heard! My rescue dog was about 4 when we got him and he too had his own challenges but that was because of previous abuse. I digress, I will share more on my dogs when I get to present their breeds here. ;)

But from my brief exposure of helping raise some of my nieces and nephews while their parents worked- puppies/dogs are waaaaay easier.  8)

She didn't come from a shelter but she was a rescue of sorts. A young couple had bought her as a Bernese Mountain dog and then they didn't have time for her and sold her to us via Craigslist. Of rather, rehomed her to my wife who bought the dog as a "surprise" for me. Yeah, it was a surprise alright! I didn't really want another dog and I don't advocate giving animals as gifts, especially high maintenance animals like dogs! But I digress, that was 9 years ago and she's a good dog. Since she's getting long in the tooth I think my next dog will be a puppy, I'm undecided about that, but I won't get another dog while this one is still around. I have no interest in being a multi-dog household again!

Saarlooswolfhound

Ah, I see. Perhaps this section may help you visit some breeds if/when you decide  to get another puppy/dog.

Ok, I figured after one of the smallest breeds we may as well tackle one of the largest. Great danes are often what first comes to mind for many people.

Firstly, they are very large! Standing at about 32 inches tall at the shoulder, but can be as tall or taller than a man when standing on two legs. They also can weigh as much as a person- at about 175 lbs when full grown. This breed was originally created in Germany (despite the name) in the 1800s for hunting wild boar. Despite their large size, they are often gentle enough to play with kids and have a calm demeanor. They are often pretty low energy, but in order to stay fit they should have 2-3 hours if activity a day. They unfortunately are very short-lived; they often only live 5-8 years maximum. "Just Nuisance" was a dane who was enlisted in the Royal Navy on the HMS Afrikander between 1939-1955 at the age of 7. He got his name because he was a large even for a great dane and would sleep on the gangplank, making it difficult for people to board and disembark. He never went to sea and never fought any battles, he primarily was a morale booster for any troops that got to be around him.

sbell

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on Today at 03:26:48 AMAh, I see. Perhaps this section may help you visit some breeds if/when you decide  to get another puppy/dog.

Ok, I figured after one of the smallest breeds we may as well tackle one of the largest. Great danes are often what first comes to mind for many people.

Firstly, they are very large! Standing at about 32 inches tall at the shoulder, but can be as tall or taller than a man when standing on two legs. They also can weigh as much as a person- at about 175 lbs when full grown. This breed was originally created in Germany (despite the name) in the 1800s for hunting wild boar. Despite their large size, they are often gentle enough to play with kids and have a calm demeanor. They are often pretty low energy, but in order to stay fit they should have 2-3 hours if activity a day. They unfortunately are very short-lived; they often only live 5-8 years maximum. "Just Nuisance" was a dane who was enlisted in the Royal Navy on the HMS Afrikander between 1939-1955 at the age of 7. He got his name because he was a large even for a great dane and would sleep on the gangplank, making it difficult for people to board and disembark. He never went to sea and never fought any battles, he primarily was a morale booster for any troops that got to be around him.

@Saarlooswolfhound Something didn't work with your photo! It has URL tags around the IMG tags (I deleted them in my quote to see if that was the issue, and it is)