News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: Pets!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

According to Google, the gaur is both heavier and taller if comparing adult male specimens.

EpicRaptorMan

Heavier I believe 100%. I'm not sure about taller. Giant eland are pretty tall.

Saarlooswolfhound

You can't believe everything you read online, that's why I qualified it by saying its from a Google search. ;) perhaps the gaur's humped shoulder is where that is coming from? I am not sure.

Gwangi

I'm gonna use a book, specifically the Princeton Field Guides Bovids of the World by Jose R. Costello.

Southeast Asian Guar: SH: 170-220 cm  W: 700-1,000 Kg.
Eastern Giant Eland: SH: 150-175 cm  W:440-900 kg.

Saarlooswolfhound

Thank you Gwangi! The measurements from Google weren't too far off then.

Japanese macaques!

A fun fact, this species is 1 of 3 known to wash their food before eating it!

bmathison1972

It's neat that so many figures of this species scale well with one another! Mine is the Kaiyodo Natural Monuments of Japan figure.

Saarlooswolfhound

Thank you Blaine! I am not a huge monkey fan but these guys are some of my favorites.

Now for my markhor, tahr, and serows.

Fun fact! Due to several adaptable characteristics (habitat preference, diet, and others) Himalayan tahr are invasive species introduced to the US, Argentina, New Zealand, and South Africa!

BlueKrono

It's true! I have a tahr pelt that was harvested from New Zealand.
I like turtles.

Gwangi

Never knew there were Himalayan tahr in the U.S. I'll have to look more into it.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on June 27, 2023, 12:58:28 PMNever knew there were Himalayan tahr in the U.S. I'll have to look more into it.

I discussed it briefly here: https://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=2715.msg35640#msg35640   8) (with more of a focus on NZ, however)

Saarlooswolfhound

I am glad I'm not the only one who didn't realize this. ;)

BlueKrono, was this a feral animal harvested? Do you know anything more about it? I find this new idea fascinating to me.

EpicRaptorMan

There's a lot of Nilgai in Texas too since we're talking about invasive ungulates.

I would like to add a Japanese Serow to the collection one day but I hate multi-piece figures. Plus I'd rather wait and get the Ikimon Serow.

BlueKrono

@Saarlooswolfhound

I bought the tahr and a red deer pelt from a seller from Colorado at a convention in Minnesota. Both animals were taken on the same hunt in New Zealand, where both are invasive species. That's about all I know about them.
I like turtles.

Saarlooswolfhound

Interesting BlueKrono, thank you!

Sorry for the delay this time... I had to hospitalize my dog overnight and it was quite the adventure. He is fine, turns out he is just an expensive little jerk. :/:O: :face: But all is well now so here we go!

Probsocis monkeys!

fun facts! I have 2: they can only unripe fruits! The sugars in ripened fruits would further ferment in their stomachs, cause excessive gases to collect, and thus lead to lethal bloating. Also, they can swim underwater for up to 20 meters (65.6 feet)!!!

bmathison1972

Saarlooswolfhound

Ha! I admit I had to google the name but indeed they definitely look related.  :))

AnimalToyForum

That's a nice selection!

I made sure to include a proboscis monkey in our new primates display at the museum, the children love its comical appearance! So do the museum staff for that matter!
1443492094929166337-FAhPAyoXIAEWE40.jpg
968902427108835341-DXI6G0BX0AA8lOu.jpg

Saarlooswolfhound

I gotta admit... I always forget how BIG they are! Goodness...

Some Asian deer now!

Some fun facts, for muntjac deer. They shed their antlers every year like any other deer. However, their long canine teeth are a primitive feature! The only other deer species extant with this trait are the musk deer!

EpicRaptorMan

bmathison1972

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on June 29, 2023, 07:31:50 PMIs that a Noah's Pals Muntjac?

Looks like the ELC Indian muntjac

I have the two that are not shown here, LOL: Kaiyodo Reeve's muntjac and NP giant muntjac