News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: Great danes!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EpicRaptorMan

Saarlooswolfhound

I did not know that! I will have to celebrate next year.

Orangutans! Including the mandrill hybrid. ;)

Some fun facts: They cannot use their thumbs well, so they pick fruit using their other 4 fingers and palm. They can eat over 400 different foods! These are the largest arboreal mammals, they reproduce slowly (usually about every 8 years) and they have some of the longest childhoods of any mammal!

bmathison1972

I am surprised you don't have the CollectA orangutan, which is a confirmed Sumatran (unlike most other figures that are, or probably are, Bornean)

Saarlooswolfhound

It is on my list! Eventually. ;)

Misc. Guys here. ;)

The Sunda flying lemur is animal that has very few formal studies done, thus we know very little. But one thing I found interesting to learn but makes sense after you think it through is...They have harder landings from short glides, rather than longer ones. A longer glide distance gives them better time to aerodynamically "brake" and slow their force down for a safer, slower landing.

NSD Bashe

Saarlooswolfhound

Thank you. :D

Finishing up the last of Asia, here is a double post. ;)

First up, bats!

The Ryukyu bat also has very little known about it. Currently, the population is very fragmented, so not only are they listed as vulnerable, but they also live in rather small pockets (i.e. 200 individuals in a group).

And then the very last misc. models.

Mongolian gerbils commonly sand bathe (similar to chinchillas!) to maintain a healthy coat: it helps with parasites, odor, and removing excess oils.

*added later on** Asian rodents

Saarlooswolfhound

Also! My website, The Curious Compendium (originally launched last October) now has the Asian Mammals Assemblage page up too!

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium/asian-collection

Slowly but surely, the overhaul is coming together. :D Thank you for your patience.

EpicRaptorMan

Really like that Ryukyu bat. I'm just very against figures that require assembly.

Need to find an ELC Muntjac. But I'm currently talking to a sculpter about getting a personal one for relatively cheap.

Saarlooswolfhound

And now we go on a proper safari... to Africa! To kick off is one of my favorite species: African wild dogs!

Oh so many fun facts I could share... these dogs can recognize packmates from 50-100 meters away based on coat color/pattern. They have a high hunting success rate; most packs average 60% but some have been recorded as high as 90%! They have a unique voting system for deciding when to hunt; they sneeze! Lastly, these dogs run at a rather lanky species, they weigh aroung 50 lbs on average (but can be 45-80 lbs depending sex, season, and individual variation) and are usually only 24 to 30 inches tall. 

I just got to see this species in person at a zoo for the first time. While they were very well fed compared to their wild counterparts, they were wonderful to behold and watch. :D

Saarlooswolfhound

Some littles! Fennec and my bat-eared foxes.

Fennecs are so named from the Arabic word of "Fanak". They are also the national animal of Algeria! Bat-eared foxes are unusual for mammals in that they have 48 teeth! (Many more than most other mammals)

EpicRaptorMan

bmathison1972

There are a lot of nice fennec options. I went with Papo, myself.

I have seen the PV bat-eared fox on eBay a few times. I never pulled the trigger to buy it because the color off (doesn't have the distinctive mask)...but I may not let it pass me up next time I see it!  Furuta also made a bat-eared fox, but I think I prefer PV's.

Saarlooswolfhound

Thank you! Yes, we have gotten rather spoiled for choice for fennecs. I got to see a bat-eared for the first time in person on a zoo visit recently. Really interesting little guys!

Now for African wolves! (in this case, golden and Ethiopian for my collection).

The Ethiopian wolf is also called the "Ky Kebero" in local languages, meaning "the red jackal". The African golden wolf is a tricky species to share facts about as there is a lot of controversy in regards to their classification. Modern techniques have revealed a high degree of hybridization for many European, African, and Asian canines where they converge. This leaves very few animals with genetically pure lines today. Thus the species is still being assessed for population status and genetic health etc.

Saarlooswolfhound

My last African canid group, jackals!

Most jackals relocate litters of pups to a new den every two weeks or so to ensure safety for them. Also, for golden jackals, they have a pretty evenly divided diet for carnivory and herbivory (approx. 54% v 46% respectively).

EpicRaptorMan

I have the top left jackal; forgot the brand lol. Did you repaint the back at all?

Saarlooswolfhound

The CollectA model? Mine has not been repainted and is the original factory finish. Is yours painted differently?

EpicRaptorMan

I believe so. I forgot it was CollectA. I don't remember the fur on the black back being as ticked.

EpicRaptorMan

Edit. It's not. Maybe it's the lighting but I don't think so. I would provide a photo but the forum won't let me upload the file due to size constraints.

Saarlooswolfhound

Interesting. I got mine a few years after its release... maybe its just production-timeframe variations?

EpicRaptorMan

I got mine a few years ago. So I don't know.