News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: Great danes!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

I love Amur leopards, they are indeed very fluffy!

White Rhinos!

Although there can easily be overlap for various reasons, white rhinos are largely grazing herbivores hence their wide square lip. Conversely, the black rhino is more of a browser of branches and leaves, their pointed prehensile-esque lip helps with browsing. These traits are also commonly used to tell the 2 African types apart.

Saarlooswolfhound

An updated picture for my Asian lesser primates. It now has the Yowies silvery lutung baby.

I will have it updated in my original post here too. Still need to redo the bats but they will come soon. :)

Saarlooswolfhound

Lions!

Some things I didn't know... in extremely dry areas, lions have been known to get water from some plant (products). Lions in the Kalahari desert have been known to drink water from crushed tsamma melon! Lions often hunt during storms as the wind and weather can make it harder for prey to hear, see, or smell them. Lastly, they are the only cats that roar together!

Gwangi

So many lion! I'm a one-figure-per-species collector but with lions I think I'll make an exception and get both a male and female. And I'll need an Asiatic lion of course but I don't know if any even exist. Haven't gotten any lions yet because there are so many to choose from!

Those big AAA lions and cubs are a blast from the past. I had them as a kid and played with them all the time.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on July 17, 2023, 12:59:03 PMSo many lion! I'm a one-figure-per-species collector but with lions I think I'll make an exception and get both a male and female. Haven't gotten them yet because there are so many to choose from!

Those big AAA lions and cubs are a blast from the past. I had them as a kid and played with them all the time.

I also have both a lion and lioness, because of the marked sexual dimorphism and familiarity of both. Mine are both Papo (the male is the 'roaring' version)

NSD Bashe

80 lions.... that's almost twice as many lions as giraffes!

Saarlooswolfhound

Quote from: NSD Bashe on July 17, 2023, 04:49:35 PM80 lions.... that's almost twice as many lions as giraffes!

They better watch out! ;)

These large charismatic African mammals (more specifically the elephants, lions, giraffes, etc.) have been very stagnant portions of my collection for years. As you can see I have many of the newer releases for such but NOT all. I habe gotten to the point with these groups that new additions generally have to be excellent (I just got the CollectA african lion in its typical color last week) or some kind of nostalgic for me (AAA was a brand my older brother had growing up and I inherited his collection). Elephants have been rather productive lately and will continue, the Eofauna and TNG bug got to me and I have been more attentive to the family overall. :)

@Gwangi, depending on your taste, I would say Papo has the best overall, but the most recent Mojo are nice too. CollectA needs to make a new lioness to pair with their new males.

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on July 17, 2023, 05:09:14 PM
Quote from: NSD Bashe on July 17, 2023, 04:49:35 PM80 lions.... that's almost twice as many lions as giraffes!

They better watch out! ;)

These large charismatic African mammals (more specifically the elephants, lions, giraffes, etc.) have been very stagnant portions of my collection for years. As you can see I have many of the newer releases for such but NOT all. I habe gotten to the point with these groups that new additions generally have to be excellent (I just got the CollectA african lion in its typical color last week) or some kind of nostalgic for me (AAA was a brand my older brother had growing up and I inherited his collection). Elephants have been rather productive lately and will continue, the Eofauna and TNG bug got to me and I have been more attentive to the family overall. :)

@Gwangi, depending on your taste, I would say Papo has the best overall, but the most recent Mojo are nice too. CollectA needs to make a new lioness to pair with their new males.

So far I've been most drawn to the Papo lioness and Mojo male. Thanks for your input as it seems to support my own instincts and I definitely value your opinion.

Saarlooswolfhound

Why thank you Gwangi.
 :) I claim to be no expert, I am always learning new things and value gentle corrections when applicable, but that means a lot.  ;D You will see once I get to other groups in my collection how little of an expert I am. Really my expertise is in canids, perhaps mammals in general.

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on July 17, 2023, 10:36:16 PMWhy thank you Gwangi.
 :) I claim to be no expert, I am always learning new things and value gentle corrections when applicable, but that means a lot.  ;D You will see once I get to other groups in my collection how little of an expert I am. Really my expertise is in canids, perhaps mammals in general.

Well expertise on the animals themselves aside you're clearly an accomplished collector and I imagine you have an eye for quality. That you have so many in hand and can directly compare them is of great value.

Saarlooswolfhound

Black rhinos!

As far as I can tell this is not exactly a confirmed "fact" but I find it interesting... female rhinos with calves are very protective and often don't stray far from them. There appears to be a tendency (that some observers have noted) for black rhino moms to follow calves from behind, while white rhino moms have the calves follow closely behind.

Saarlooswolfhound

Servals!

These guys have the largest ears of any wildcat. If humans had comparable ears they would be as large as dinner plates! They are one of the most successful feline hunters with a 50% success rate. Lastly, they are crossed with domestic cats to create the breed, a Savannah, now recognized by the International Cat Association.

EpicRaptorMan

It took me forever to finally decide on getting the safari LTD Serval.

A friend of mine is in fact temporarily housing a Serval in their home for a conservation park. Not sure how long she'll have it but it has adapted well to her place.

SerAndrew

I went for the Kaiyodo.
It's small, but Safari is too big, and I preferred it to fit with my cheetah

bmathison1972

Quote from: SerAndrew on July 20, 2023, 10:35:35 AMI went for the Kaiyodo.
It's small, but Safari is too big, and I preferred it to fit with my cheetah

I went with Safari. It was a tough call for me, Safari vs. Kaiyodo. Kaiyodo is a more ideal size for most, but I wanted to support Safari and commend them on a great figure of an interesting species.

Saarlooswolfhound

I will have to consider the Kaiyodo and Colorata models. That is interesting EpicRaptorMan! Boy, to have a serval in your house would be an experience!

Plains Zebras!

There are several species and possible subspecies of zebra. Plains zebras stripe patterns are one way to tell them apart. The stripes on their haunches (back end) run horizontally, and the stripes over their shoulders run vertically. In the middle of the back this creates a triangular pattern dorsally. Lastly, they have a dorsal stripe that runs directly down their back to their tail, and they have stripes on their bellies. Because these guys belong to the equid group, they function similar to wild horses. They live in harems (a stallion, mares, and their foals), are defended by the stud of the group, and when they collect in larger herds for migration, stallions may temporarily "band" together to defend their herds from predations. Otherwise, they are in competition with one another and fight savagely for mares.

bmathison1972

Do you not have the Mojo quagga, or will be quagga be featured elsewhere?

I have the CollectA plains zebra!

Gwangi

I have the CollectA one too. Beautiful figure that I've been meaning to review for some time.

SerAndrew

Mine is the Schleich with Mojo calf.

Have been tempted to replace it by the CollectA, but find the Schleich so good

Saarlooswolfhound

That will be the reveal for 2 days from now. I photographed my quaggas with my grevy's zebras. :)