News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: Pets!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EpicRaptorMan

Fun fact. Google and other companies have a separate emoji for the Dromedary camel and the Bactrian camel. And you can search for them under their respective names.

🐪🐫

Saarlooswolfhound

Bactrian camels!

Some.fun facts. Their temperature can range from 34 C (93 F) to 40 C (104 F) ! This temperature swing would kill most other animals. Also, compared to other livestock they only lose 1.3 liters of water a day, when other livestock can lose 20-40 liters!

NSD Bashe

I notice you appear to have exactly twice as many two hump camels as one hump camels, is this by design?    :D

Saarlooswolfhound

Saarlooswolfhound

Indian Rhinos!

Fun facts: their skin is rather remarkable. It is up to 2 inches thick (5cm)! Their skin folds help regulate their body temperature as it increases the surface area for blood vessels. These folds also can hold a bit of water even after a swim, further helping the animal cool off!

NSD Bashe

ooh I have that NF rhino, apparently the official name of the brand isn't even known according to the wiki...

Saarlooswolfhound

NSD Bashe... do you mean the one 4 in from the right on the top row? This one isn't stamped and I have wondered what brand it is for some time...

Very belated as I was traveling home from vacation. I have lots of fun things to share on forum when I get some time. :)

Babirusa, pygmy hog, Sumatran rhino.

Fact I learned... their stimach is more similar to a sheep's than to other pigs given that it has chambers. They also will feed on their hind legs to reach vegetation higher up.

NSD Bashe

Yeah it should be this one in fact  https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/NF_Indian_Rhinoceros
yours isn't marked at all?  I think it normally has the N combined with an F on the stomach, but I guess not all of them must have that.

Also the babirusa is actually one of my favorite animals (besides fish); I have that tiny pygmy hog as well   :D   Very cool collection

Saarlooswolfhound

I would have to look at it again, but I don't think mine has any markings. That's why I couldn't ID it. Looking at the photo there, it is indeed very similar but mine has subtle differences. If I can get to it sometime I will post a photo. Babirusas and pygmy hogs are both great. :) And thank you! I am only partway through...  8)

Malayan and Indian porcupines!

Something new I learned....probably can be applied to all porcupines. Males are called boars, females are sows, babies are pups, and social groups/families are called prickles!

bmathison1972

Is that pygmy hog by Joy City? I'd like to get that one (or some other version of that species)

NSD Bashe

Saarlooswolfhound

Pangolins!

Indian pangolins have the largest scales of the asian species.:)

Gwangi

The Schleich pangolin is one of the figures that got me into the animal collecting hobby. It came in a box of toy animals I bought for my daughter on eBay.

Saarlooswolfhound

It is a superb model indeed. Schleich still has some great figures come up now and again that escape their new particular stylization. I rather like my Naturalism and Yowie and Mojo too.

Saarlooswolfhound

Hurray! Congrats! I have gotten some great items from this seller, glad for you Blaine!

Saarlooswolfhound

Here are my yaks, water buffalo, gaur, and auroch.

Something I noticed but did not realize the significance of, water buffalo types (wild, domestic, etc.) have unique horn growth types and sets. The tamaraw has a V like figure, while the domestic carabao is more set in a rounded C, etc.

EpicRaptorMan

The gaur is the largest of all bovids, no?

Isidro