News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Today I received a new figure, the CollectA Komodo dragon!  Just like the other three extant animal figures I received previously I love it!  It looks real!  I'm enjoying extant animal figures so much now! ^-^

Sim

I should have mentioned the Mojo Nile crocodile I have is the one with the articulated jaw.

EpicRaptorMan

Got the Naturally Adorkable Tibetan Fox which i found to be much too large from my liking.
And the Mojo Coral Snake, which is in the mailbox as we speak...so I'll see how I like that one.

bmathison1972

Goodies from Japan.

First up the complete 3D Pictorial Book Dangerous Creatures of the Sea by Access Toys! I only wanted the ray, box jelly, and crab, but it was cheaper to get the whole set (which I may turn out to keep anyway). I will probably keep the sea snake to replace a Kaiyodo version and maybe the octopus if I can convince myself it's a new species ;-). On the advice of @JimoAi - I will be reviewing the whole set in October.

Next up, Vol. 5 of the Capsule Q Museum Caterpillars collection. Oh, and they are made of a much firmer, harder plastic than previous versions! Now that I have them, I know their Latin names, from back left to front right:

1. Asian swallowtail, Papilio xuthus [I was hoping this would be something new, but it's become a staple]
2. Indian fritillary, Argynnis hyperbius [NEW species in toy form!)]
3. small cabbage while, Pieris rapae [FIRST larva of this species, and second of its species in toy form, if one accepts the K&M tube white is this species]
4. paper kite, Idea leuconoe (larva)
5. Idea leuconoe (pupa)

Next up some miscellany:

1. western tarsier, Cephalopachus bancanus by Takara for the ANIA series. I don't normally pay attention to ANIA, due to articulations, but when @stemturtle introduces us to it as a new species (and in a good size), I decided to get it! The articulations are minimal and it attaches to the tree with pure force, no pegs, etc.
2. common remora, Remora remora, from Takara's recent World of the Blue Sea: The Sharks collection. They are designed to fit into the bottom of one of the sharks in the set, but you can buy them separately. They do come off the base. They are very detailed considering how small they are (body length about 2.4 cm)
3. Older Colorata golden eagle. I got it to replace the Kaiyodo NMoJ figure as it's solid piece...

But now that I look at them I cannot decide LOL. I think assembly and display issues with the Kaiyodo figure will be more pronounced over time. Maybe I can talk myself into them being different sexes so I can keep both!!!  :o  8)  C:-)

Lastly I got three Bandai Diversity insects, but I'll post them in that thread after I assemble them (probably this weekend)...

EpicRaptorMan

@bmathison1972 once you get that review up I might be tempted to buy the snake off of you. And maybe a couple others dunno.

If you're looking to sale that is

bmathison1972

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on September 29, 2023, 01:24:34 AM@bmathison1972 once you get that review up I might be tempted to buy the snake off of you. And maybe a couple others dunno.

@EpicRaptorMan - do you mean buy the Kaiyodo snake off me? Because the Access snake will replace the Kaiyodo one currently in my collection.

EpicRaptorMan

@bmathison1972 I thought you were still deciding on whether to replace it or not. Regardless we'll see. What Kaiyodo do you have?

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 29, 2023, 12:47:21 AMGoodies from Japan.

First up the complete 3D Pictorial Book Dangerous Creatures of the Sea by Access Toys! I only wanted the ray, box jelly, and crab, but it was cheaper to get the whole set (which I may turn out to keep anyway). I will probably keep the sea snake to replace a Kaiyodo version and maybe the octopus if I can convince myself it's a new species ;-). On the advice of @JimoAi - I will be reviewing the whole set in October.

I was so disappointed when I saw that set. The other fish looked so much like a stargazer, to find out it's just a stonefish was unfortunate. There's lots of those (relatively speaking).

What species is the ray supposed to be?

JimoAi

Quote from: sbell on September 29, 2023, 01:59:28 PM

I was so disappointed when I saw that set. The other fish looked so much like a stargazer, to find out it's just a stonefish was unfortunate. There's lots of those (relatively speaking).

The red stingray. Pretty common in Japan and if you play Animal Crossing, it's basically the same species

sbell

Quote from: JimoAi on September 29, 2023, 02:09:39 PM
Quote from: sbell on September 29, 2023, 01:59:28 PM

The red stingray. Pretty common in Japan and if you play Animal Crossing, it's basically the same species

Admittedly a species I'm not sure I have... but I wouldn't justify the whole set for it

bmathison1972

@sbell - you could partner with others who might want other things. I think @EpicRaptorMan might be interested in a couple things from the set. I've done some snooping and I found justification for the sea snake to be a species other than Kaiyodo's, so I'll be keeping both after all.

When I get home today I'll post my identifications. I was going to save it for my Blogpost, but figure others might be interested sooner!

JimoAi

my latest batch of models:

The Safari ltd Postosuchus. Been wanting a Rausuchian for my 9 millionth prehistoric revamp and this one is the perfect size for me. I know Postosuchus is thought to be a biped but maybe this could sub as a different species like Saurosuchus?

Takara Tomy's Sea snake. almost everything about this figure is *chef kiss. from how seamless and how thin it is, it beats all existing sea snake figures

Kaiyodo Blacktip reef shark. IMO the best blacktip figure made.

Kaiyodo Remora. This one was hard to find but glad I found it. The recent Takara Tomy one is tiny, same with the epoch ones and that one has circular seams that looks like it has been bitten off by a Cookiecutter

The access Blue ringed octopus. Been really liking this genus of octopuses alot lately as I have 3 figures. This one, although bigger than the toy spirits one, would be replacing it as it has way better proportions. Paint is questionable though

The access Red stingray. Finally a typical stingray being made into toy form! The third new ray figure this year, along side the Papo Spotted eagle and the Toymany Blue spotted stingray

Sim

Today I acquired the Mojo peregrine falcon and golden eagle.  They are so good!  I love them!  I also acquired a pack of six Playmobil flamingos, with three colourations among them.  I'm happy with them.  They look realistic enough for me and I can represent three different flamingo species with one colouration per species.  They can also be posed standing up or in a bent down feeding pose, which is nice.  And they don't have a permanently attached base! ^-^

EpicRaptorMan

@JimoAi where did you find the sea snake? The Remora is also quite interesting

bmathison1972

That Kaiyodo remora is amazing; I was unaware of it  :o . But I am very happy with my mini Takara trio  ^-^

bmathison1972

The last two items (for a while I think) arrived today, the Schleich Desmatosuchus and Bullyland Procynosuchus. Have a lot going on this evening, so no pics sorry.

Here are my IDs on the Access Toys Venomous Sea creatures box set:

1. red stingray, Hemitrygon akajei
2. green egg crab (floral egg crab) Atergatis floridus
3. tiger shark
4. blue-ringed octopus, Hapalochlaena sp. (possibly H. fasciata, blue-lined octopus due to lines on main body and it's presence around Japan)
5. Laticauda sp.; I am having mine represent the blue-lipped sea krait, L. laticaudata, but it could easily represent a couple species
6. reef stonefish, Synanceia verrucosa
7. box jellyfish, habu-kurage, Chironex yamaguchii. This name wasn't provided, but the Japanese text when translated mentions its presence around Okinawa, and C. yamaguchii is the box jelly usually found around Okinawa

Sim

Today I acquired the Bullyland Cinereous vulture (labelled black vulture) and black mamba.  They are awesome toys of two very interesting species!  I also acquired the CollectA ostrich, green tree python and mute swan.  I'm happy with all of them.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Sim on September 30, 2023, 05:15:24 PMToday I acquired the Bullyland Cinereous vulture (labelled black vulture) and black mamba.  They are awesome toys of two very interesting species!  I also acquired the CollectA ostrich, green tree python and mute swan.  I'm happy with all of them.

You're building a great zoo/museum there, @Sim

Sim

EpicRaptorMan

The bullyland Black Mamba is quite nice but I'm looking for the Schleich one personally.