News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbell

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on September 30, 2023, 08:21:02 PMThe bullyland Black Mamba is quite nice but I'm looking for the Schleich one personally.

Have you considered the Takara Assassin fang mamba? Similar size. Assuming you can find it

EpicRaptorMan

I'm not sure if I like it, but I appreciate your recommendation.

I would like to find that sea snake as I mentioned above. And the Inland Taipan 100%

Sim

Today I received:

1. Southlands replicas perentie.  It's so unfortunate that Southlands Replicas had to quit, their models are excellent.  I'm happy I was able to get the perentie.

2. Safari saltwater crocodile.  First of all, it's huge, it's bigger than I expected!  Secondly, it's made of hollow rubber which surprised me.  Are all Safari incredible creatures made of hollow rubber?  I think I'm okay with this figure though and glad to have it.

sbell

Quote from: Sim on October 02, 2023, 03:01:06 PMToday I received:

1. Southlands replicas perentie.  It's so unfortunate that Southlands Replicas had to quit, their models are excellent.  I'm happy I was able to get the perentie.

2. Safari saltwater crocodile.  First of all, it's huge, it's bigger than I expected!  Secondly, it's made of hollow rubber which surprised me.  Are all Safari incredible creatures made of hollow rubber?  I think I'm okay with this figure though and glad to have it.

Yeah, most IC figures are hollow. Especially the big bodied ones like that

Sim

Thanks for the explanation @sbell!

Today I received the Toymany penguin set which I'm very happy with, I've posted more about it in that company's thread.  I also received the Hasbro saltwater crocodile action figure.  I thought it wasn't for me at first, but I changed my mind recently and am happy with it too.

Sim

Today I received the Mojo snowy owl.  I'm impressed by how well its pattern is painted!  I also see that apparently there's another version of this figure with less black patterning?  So the one I received today would be a female or young male, while the version with more white would be an adult male?  I think I'll have to get the other version too, I'd like to have both versions!

Sim

Well, today I received the Safari anaconda!  Even though it's in the Incredible Creatures line, it's not hollow!  I was pleasantly surprised by that!  It's a very impressive figure I'm happy to now have!  It's got a nice heft to it.

EpicRaptorMan

-Mojo Ring-tailed Lemur (replaced my Schleich)
-Mojo Arizona Coral Snake
-SafariLtd Yellow-bellied Sea Snake
-Forceps Butterfly Fish
-Cardinal
-Blue Jay
-Cane Road
-Red-bellied Black Snake
-Cottonmouth (aka Water Moccasin)
-generic and unidentified sea cucumber
-White throated Toucan (redrilled subspecies)
-Pacific Halibut
-Edmond's Sea Star
-Purple Sun Star

Sim

Today I received the CollectA mako shark and the Schleich 2016 pelican.  I love the poses of both figures, and the figures overall are satisfying!

Sim

I've recently acquired:

1. CollectA barn owl.  It's superb!

2. CollectA tiger shark.  I love it so much!

3. Safari harpy eagle.  This one didn't look convincing in person.  I've ordered the Naturalism harpy eagle and I think that will be the one I have in my collection!

4. Safari bald eagle.  This one however is awesome.  I love it.

5. Papo magpie.  I'm happy with this one, it's very well-done and looks like the magpies I see around where I live.

6. Papo vulture.  It successfully captures the intimidating nature of a real griffon vulture.

7. Schleich 2013 great white shark.  I chose this one rather than the newer version because the newer version doesn't have its upper jaw teeth painted.  I'm very happy with this Schleich figure, it is smaller than I expected but not too small.

8. Schleich 2021 penguin.  This one also was smaller than I expected, it has an interesting size.  However I prefer the Toymany version of this animal so I'm not keeping the Schleich version.

9. Safari boa constrictor.  It's not hollow! :)  I like its pose, and it has an interesting kind of glittery covering which I guess is meant to resemble the shinyness of snake scales.

I've also removed the Safari saltwater crocodile from my collection.  I find I don't want to have hollow figures.  I also have the Hasbro saltwater crocodile which is more accurate so I'm okay with letting go of the Safari version.

EpicRaptorMan

Good call on ditching the SafariLTD Harpy eagle. It never looked convincing to me either

JimoAi

my latest haul: one extant and the rest are extinct with a heavy emphasis on Palaeozoic life.

Colorata Palaeozoic box: Obtained for the invertebrates, not retaining the cephalaspis or Dunk as the ceph is too big and it's inevitable someone would make chunky dunk sooner or later

Kaiyodo Acantostega: A prehistoric amphibian for my collection as the icthyostega was too expensive

Safari ltd Dimetrodon: of course I have to add this iconic synapsid to my prehistoric shelf

PNSO mini ophthalmosaurus: standing in as Icthyosaurus

Eofauna steppe mammoth recast: my justifications were that I'm not willing to spend much money on prehistoric mammals which I have little to no interest in outside cetaceans, doedicurus or megatherium and their relatives. It's still a really nice piece and the only thing I can fault it is the sloppy paint

Papo young octopus: the last 2023 figure from major brands I'm getting this year. Unfortunately, it has 2 siphons but they're not as distracting as the larger octopus produced in 2014

Sim

I forgot to specify that the Safari bald eagle I obtained is the wings of the world version. :)

bmathison1972

Quote from: Sim on October 14, 2023, 03:55:36 PMI forgot to specify that the Safari bald eagle I obtained is the wings of the world version. :)

The newest one with the wings folded (not spread)? If so, that's the one I have too!

EpicRaptorMan

I do like the SafariLtd Bald Eagle (folded wings) it replaced my newer Schleich one.

Sim

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 14, 2023, 04:19:38 PM
Quote from: Sim on October 14, 2023, 03:55:36 PMI forgot to specify that the Safari bald eagle I obtained is the wings of the world version. :)

The newest one with the wings folded (not spread)? If so, that's the one I have too!
Yes, that's the one I obtained!  I forgot about the cartoony older version.

Today I received the Papo albatross and Mojo great horned owl.  I'm very happy with both of them! :)  The owl's paintjob and detail is seriously impressive.

Sim

Today I obtained the Schleich seagull.  I love gulls, even though they can be naughty, so I'm happy to have a nice figure of one. :)

bmathison1972

Quote from: Sim on October 17, 2023, 04:40:19 PMToday I obtained the Schleich seagull.  I love gulls, even though they can be naughty, so I'm happy to have a nice figure of one. :)

Is that the one with its wings open? I am curious how big it is.

As a birder I hate gulls LOL. They are hard to identify (they almost all look the same and look very different in each of their first three years). They aren't visually pretty, they don't sounds nice. My goal is to document one of every species so going forward I can just say 'Larus sp.' bwahahahaha  >:D  8)  :P

Sim

Yes, it has its wings open @bmathison1972.  I think it's around 5cm from one wingtip to the other.  It's a small figure.  I agree gulls aren't pretty and don't sound nice, but I like how they look and their cries.  I too find them hard to identify, except for the one I see most often which is the black-headed gull (which has one of two colourations depending on the season).

bmathison1972

Quote from: Sim on October 17, 2023, 06:52:10 PMYes, it has its wings open @bmathison1972.  I think it's around 5cm from one wingtip to the other.  It's a small figure.  I agree gulls aren't pretty and don't sound nice, but I like how they look and their cries.  I too find them hard to identify, except for the one I see most often which is the black-headed gull (which has one of two colourations depending on the season).

We have a lot of waterways in the Salt Lake area (not bad for a high desert) so there could easily be a dozen species. Are most common is the California Gull, followed by Ring-billed Gull, but Herring, Franklin's, and Bonepart's possible (those latter two have black heads in the breeding season). But migrants, vagrants of several others can pass through!