News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Recent acquisitions

Started by Jetoar, December 06, 2012, 04:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isidro

Bought yesterday this masterpiece that now I can delete from my wishlist. I'm glad that I not bought the Papo manatee, that is good, but this one is even better. And of course both Papo and the new Schleich surpass the CollectA one, and the three surpass very much the old Schleich one that is mad. The new one instead is superb. The texture of the skin is fabulous, and the pale grey hue matches perfectly with the manatees I've seen in aquariums.

manatee1.jpg

The head inclined aside gives the manatee an inquisitive looking and make it much more dynamic when viewed from front. Well done, Schleich! :)
manatee2.jpg

The attention of the detail is exquisite. Genital slit is included and very well done. Unfortunately a bit of dirt stains the point of the belly where the manatee touches the ground, but after submerging mine in water for the photo session, the dirt vanished without even trying to clean it.
manatee3.jpg

This will be the second of my more than 200 branded figures that is not "made in China"! The other one is also a Schleich, a giant panda made in Tunisia. This manatee is made in Portugal, to the joy of our fox-collector crocodile :D
manatee4.jpg

Time to release it in the water:
manatee5.jpg
manatee6.jpg

Isidro

And now the comparison pals:

First thing is of course compare with the other sirenian in my collection, the CollectA dugong. (For those you don't know my collection is synoptic so I can't have another manatee, thus meaning I must chose carefully the best representative of each species!)
I think both fits perfectly, they have the same colour (despite the dugong being glossy), and the manatee is stockier and a bit longer than the dugong as it happens in real animals.
manateedugong1.jpg
manateedugong2.jpg

I know that actually is a Caribbean manatee, that is the species everybody knows and that is displayed in every zoo/aquarium, being the other two species ignored and absent from captivity (except in a couple of Chinese/Japanese zoos). But notice that zoos/aquariums worldwide put the Caribbean manatees in Amazonian themed thanks, mixing it with pirarucus, pacus and motoro stingrays so why do not the same in a diorama? The nails are not visible from avobe the surface so it can pass as a Caribbean when not viewed from aside...
manateeetal1.jpg

And still in Amazonian ranfoirest... these two water birds are talking about a bet... which of them will surf the manatee for longer time before he submerges again?
manateeetal2 (1).jpg

Yeeeehah! The ibis won the first assault!
manateeibis1.jpg
manateeibis1 (1).jpg

EpicRaptorMan

Nice ibis and Arapaima. What brands are they?

I too have the CollectA Dugong and I find the over glossiness to be a turnoff imo.

Isidro

Ibis is homemade and arapaima is Colorata :)

bmathison1972

holy cow that's a nice ibis.

EpicRaptorMan

Yeah I was looking at the Colorata one awhile ago, but just couldn't pull the trigger. Thanks for the comparison photos tho.

Is it capable of standing without it's stand?

BlueKrono

Well done ibis! What brand is the matamata?
I like turtles.

Isidro

Yes, I display mine without the rod. All the Colorata "Fossil fish" models are able to stand without it.

The matamata is Yujin :)

JimoAi

JimoAi

Quote from: Isidro on February 06, 2022, 06:18:48 PM
Bought yesterday this masterpiece that now I can delete from my wishlist. I'm glad that I not bought the Papo manatee, that is good, but this one is even better. And of course both Papo and the new Schleich surpass the CollectA one, and the three surpass very much the old Schleich one that is mad. The new one instead is superb. The texture of the skin is fabulous, and the pale grey hue matches perfectly with the manatees I've seen in aquariums.

manatee1.jpg

The head inclined aside gives the manatee an inquisitive looking and make it much more dynamic when viewed from front. Well done, Schleich! :)
manatee2.jpg

The attention of the detail is exquisite. Genital slit is included and very well done. Unfortunately a bit of dirt stains the point of the belly where the manatee touches the ground, but after submerging mine in water for the photo session, the dirt vanished without even trying to clean it.
manatee3.jpg

This will be the second of my more than 200 branded figures that is not "made in China"! The other one is also a Schleich, a giant panda made in Tunisia. This manatee is made in Portugal, to the joy of our fox-collector crocodile :D
manatee4.jpg

Time to release it in the water:
manatee5.jpg
manatee6.jpg
Actually the schleich and collectA ones represent different species

bmathison1972

As far as I know, all manatees by major non-Japanese manufacturers all represent the Caribbean species

JimoAi

Part one of my birthday haul. Part 2 will be here in the next few weeks. Got more pokemon and anime related stuff but I'm only showing relavent items FB_IMG_1644239787488.jpg

bmathison1972

interesting assortment; what's in the red capsule?

JimoAi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 07, 2022, 03:00:51 PM
interesting assortment; what's in the red capsule?
That's a PokeBall

bmathison1972

I bought on eBay the nearly complete Yujin lizards set. Some of these are based on Play Visions sculpts (but better painted). Believe it or not, this was actually cheaper than hunting down the remaining species I needed. Most are unusual exotic species that are rarely made in toy form and probably unlikely to show up any time soon (at least at the smaller size). Here are the new species for me:

1. Japanese five-lined skink, Plestiodon latiscutatus (adult)
2. P. latiscutatus (juvenile)
3. tokay gecko, Gekko gecko
4. Asian water monitor, Varanus salvator (possible juvenile; Play Visions used this sculpt for a juvenile Nile monitor)
5. smooth helmeted iguana, Corytophanes cristatus (Yujin advertised this as C. hernandezi, but the sculpt is a re-issue of the Play Visions figure that was marketed as C. cristatus; the PV identification is a better given the morphology of the figure)
6. rhinoceros iguana, Cyclura cornuta
7. Fiji banded iguana, Brachylophus fasciatus
8. Chinese water dragon, Physignathus cocincinus
9. panther chameleon, Furcifer pardalis
10. Antimena chameleon, Furcifer antimena

For those in the US, the remaining figures are available for sale:
1. Komodo dragon
2. moloch
3. Gila monster (decided to replace my Epoch figure with this one)
4. marine iguama
5. collared lizard - sold
6. baby Jackon's chameleon (decided to keep this one)
7. Japanese grass lizard
8. double-crested basilisk - sold
9. Kishinoue's giant skink
10. Japanese cave gecko (secret figure)

BlueKrono

@JimoAi That otter and pufferfish are cute. Who makes them?

@bmathison1972 Do you have a pic of the basilisk and collared lizard? I might be interested if I don't have them already.
I like turtles.

JimoAi

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 08, 2022, 02:26:55 AM

@bmathison1972 Do you have a pic of the basilisk and collared lizard? I might be interested if I don't have them already.
They're by Bandai for the tenori friends line

bmathison1972

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 08, 2022, 02:26:55 AM

@BlueKrono   here they are on TAI:

collared lizard (not same sculpt as Club Earth/Wing Mau):
https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Yujin_Collared_lizard

basilisk (same sculpt as PV):
https://toyanimal.info/wiki/Yujin_Green_basilisk

JimoAi

So I got this collectA octopus which I feel is the best octopus by the big 4 companies. Since it's just labelled as Octopus, I am using it as a Giant Pacific to go with the my marine life despite the too large mantle as in I plan to use this as the very large 20+ft specimens
FB_IMG_1644492542358.jpg

JimoAi

Alright as I anticipate my long awaited 2ns batch of birthday purchases, I'll do some teasers

Firstly, I got the upscaled Colorata leopard whipray which I do plan to repaint to a reticulated whipray
IMG_20220211_213902.jpg

Secondly, here's some teasers of the items I'll be getting. Also. I did intend to get the kaiyodo webfoot octopus however, upon purchase, my proxy informed me of the damaged arm.
Screenshot_20220211_213807.jpg  Screenshot_20220211_213810.jpg