News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Antelope Elegance

Started by OkapiBoy, December 15, 2012, 02:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

..... compared to Papo's Kudu:

postsaurischian

It took Papo a while to make another antelope since the Kudu - finally we have this beautiful Impala :D!

AcroSauroTaurus

Wow, another figure that makes me wish Papo's could still be bought in Iowa.... Every place in Iowa that i've been to that used to sell Papo have all replaced them with cheaper Mojo figures. :'(
I am the Dinosaur King!

brontodocus

This is surely one must-have antelope figure! :D And seeing it next to the Greater Kudu, it seems also bigger than expected.

Jetoar

Papo have done a wonderful work with this figure  ^-^.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Brunno

Well, I love Papo but I'm too disappointed with this impala. The colour isn't even similar to the reality and those hornes are so big... I was waiting for more realistic piece.

Rossano

I just got mine, bought online because I can't find a retailer close to my town, but I am very disappointed since not all the legs of the animal touch the floor, and it bends on one side. Looks like it has been deformed by the pressure with the other heavier animals (a Bowhead Whale and a Narwal) in the same box. Actually after some minutes it ends up falling down.

If you can confirm me that a normal piece has all its four feet touching the floor and the animal stands straight without being inclined on the left, I will send it back to the seller. The horn of the Narwal is a bit curved too, but I think I can make it straight again by modelling it, since it is more floppy, while the Nyala legs are more rigid.

brontodocus

Quote from: Rossano on August 18, 2016, 01:01:03 AM
I just got mine, bought online because I can't find a retailer close to my town, but I am very disappointed since not all the legs of the animal touch the floor, and it bends on one side. Looks like it has been deformed by the pressure with the other heavier animals (a Bowhead Whale and a Narwal) in the same box. Actually after some minutes it ends up falling down.

If you can confirm me that a normal piece has all its four feet touching the floor and the animal stands straight without being inclined on the left, I will send it back to the seller. The horn of the Narwal is a bit curved too, but I think I can make it straight again by modelling it, since it is more floppy, while the Nyala legs are more rigid.
Since it's been two years now I have to say I actually cannot remember how my figure was when I got it. But those warped legs are very common in animal toy figures, especially those slender-legged ones. They may even warp later on, when not stored properly or during summer when temperatures are hot. I've had this issue so many times with so many figures that I can't remember which one was and which one wasn't warped. Especially because in many cases the problem can be solved by a procedure we call "hot water treatment" - after I fixed it I soon forget that there ever was a problem. Basically you will need two pots of sufficient size, one with boiling water, the other one with water as cold as possible (i.e. with ice cubes in it). I use barbecue tongs to hold the figure, place it in the hot water - usually within seconds the softened plastic seems to "remember" its original orientation and the warped leg straightens itself. When this is achieved I immediately put the figure into the ice cold water (make sure that the ice cubes do not bend the leg back again so you would need a little free space within the cold water). The repositioned plastic hardens again within a few seconds. With this mehod I could repair virtually every newly bought figure which had this issue. May not work on figures which were deformed over several years so the newer they are the better the results (I guess it is because softeners tend to disappear over the years).

Rossano

Brontoducus, I am amazed, thanks a lot for your very informative and useful answer! I will make my attempts tomorrow.

AcroSauroTaurus

My antelopes. Not many... yet. Also, Schleich haven't made a male Gazelle yet...

Figures:
Schleich female Thomson's Gazelle
Small China Sable Antelope (needs ID'd)
Schleich Thomson's Gazelle calf

I am the Dinosaur King!

brontodocus

And the CollectA Mountain Nyala walk-around was the next in line to get its photos back. :)

brontodocus

CollectA Springbok images are working again. :)

brontodocus

CollectA Waterbuck images are working again. :)

brontodocus

Papo Blue Wildebeest image urls repaired. :)

brontodocus

Images of Papo Gemsbok have returned. :)

BlueKrono

I like turtles.

postsaurischian

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 11, 2017, 04:17:16 PM
Photobucket is the worst.

This is true!!!!!

I'm going to re-upload my walk arounds. It will take some time.

widukind

Advicot

Just out of curiosity, why is the Papo Kudu and Gemsbok sooo big. They're like the size of their elephants!
Don't I take long uploading photos!

Isidro

I think the Papo kudu have the perfect size. Is the Schleich one who is too small. The Papo impala is too big and this is one of the reasons that made me not wanting this figure in my collection (the other reason is the horns). The Papo gemsbok is certainly too big. And all elephants from every brand are too small!