Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CollectA — New for 2024

Started by EpicRaptorMan, October 28, 2023, 07:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

I realize that once again I've broken my own self-imposed rule of not actually trying to explain the business side of things to people who clearly just want to believe what's in their head.

So please, go ahead, continue to think whatever you like.

suspsy

Quote from: Shane on November 20, 2023, 04:13:00 PMSo when a rep for a company is at a tradeshow and a dozen people from various stores and businesses come up and say "Why don't you guys make this animal? All my customers want this animal," the company is going to seriously consider making that animal. And it's highly likely that those same stores and businesses are going up the the company's competitors and also saying "why don't you make X animal, all our customers want X animal stuff."

A lot of the nefarious intent that gets read into these coincidences is really just companies listening to what customers are asking for.

This customer is asking once again for a bull Asian elephant. An upsized version of the one from the Asian Animals Toob would be lovely.

SerAndrew

Quote from: Shane on November 20, 2023, 05:50:38 PMI realize that once again I've broken my own self-imposed rule of not actually trying to explain the business side of things to people who clearly just want to believe what's in their head.

So please, go ahead, continue to think whatever you like.

Don't victimize yourself again.
You can give whatever explanation you want, but no one said companies have "nefarius" intentions.
All I can read is people wondering why so many animal species are released by different brands in the same year or two. Some were more inclined to the "coincidence" hypothesis and others to the "strategic" one.
You could have just limited yourself to give this other valid point of retailers requesting figures to the brands.

Shane

I'm not victimizing myself.

I'm saying that it's futile for me to actually try to engage in good faith with you about things you don't actually know anything about, because you continue to cling to whatever fantasies you make up with no basis in reality.

And I was foolish to once again try to engage with a discussion you were involved in, even if I specifically didn't engage with you directly.

That's my fault.

SerAndrew

Quote from: Shane on November 20, 2023, 08:22:05 PMI'm not victimizing myself.

I'm saying that it's futile for me to actually try to engage in good faith with you about things you don't actually know anything about, because you continue to cling to whatever fantasies you make up with no basis in reality.

And I was foolish to once again try to engage with a discussion you were involved in, even if I specifically didn't engage with you directly.

That's my fault.

That's the thing, there was no "good faith" at all.
Period

Shane

Quote from: SerAndrew on November 20, 2023, 08:24:24 PMThat's the thing, there was no "good faith" at all.
Period

Except...you said I made valid points, so?

I apologize if you took issue with the use of the words "nefarious intent". I was simply referring to the insinuation that companies are directly and actively copying other companies. I'm of the opinion that rarely happens, if at all, and was trying to offer an alternative viewpoint on what was actually happening. That's all that was meant with the words "nefarious intent"; I'm not sure what else you thought I was trying to imply.

Sim

@Shane, I appreciate hearing from you why companies might make the same animal close to each other.  I hadn't given it much thought, but now that I think about it, I have requested the same animal to more than one company, and I've seen others do it too.  It makes sense that more than one company would consequently release the same animal.

EpicRaptorMan

Who cares if the companies are copying one another. No one here suggested it was criminal to do so. We are all collectors and the fact remains that we're all going after the best/first representative of a species.

You can present as many business explanations as you like, but if you're not the top dog cracking the whips and getting final say then it is all just hypotheses. Whether it be strategic, coincidental, or nefarious according to you.

bmathison1972

This conversation is straying way off course for 'Collecta NEW for 2024'. I have already flagged one of the posts to discuss with other Admin about possible violations of conduct rules. Please folks, let's keep this civil and try to stay on tract with regards to the topic of the thread.
I have previously mentioned that if you want to start a conversation on companies' business practices, you are welcome to do so, if kept in a civil and respectful manner (if interested, I would suggest under Animal Toys (General)).

JimoAi

I really hope we see at least one more aquatic this year from CollectA as there hasn't been anything interesting for me from the big brands for next year sans the placerias leak. Not saying the figures are bad or anything, far from it. They aren't just my cup of tea but in glad people like them!

bmathison1972

Quote from: JimoAi on November 21, 2023, 12:54:22 AMI really hope we see at least one more aquatic this year from CollectA as there hasn't been anything interesting for me from the big brands for next year sans the placerias leak. Not saying the figures are bad or anything, far from it. They aren't just my cup of tea but in glad people like them!

well, we haven't had a cetacean or shark yet from CollectA, so there is still a chance, if you follow their pattern in recent years. I hope there's something fun for you!

sbell

Quote from: JimoAi on November 21, 2023, 12:54:22 AMI really hope we see at least one more aquatic this year from CollectA as there hasn't been anything interesting for me from the big brands for next year sans the placerias leak. Not saying the figures are bad or anything, far from it. They aren't just my cup of tea but in glad people like them!

There's a gar in a Safari toob,and an eel in another (@Shane I'm going to assume it was you personally. Thanks!). That's probably my number one and two priority this go round*, unless CollectA pulls out something spectacular--and aquatic, indeed. Maybe I'm jaded, but so far nothing else is speaking to me much. Many still look good, just...not on my wants list.

*not counting a few exciting Japanese sets that were just released...

JimoAi

Quote from: sbell on November 21, 2023, 06:06:50 AM

There's a gar in a Safari toob,and an eel in another (@Shane I'm going to assume it was you personally. Thanks!). That's probably my number one and two priority this go round*, unless CollectA pulls out something spectacular--and aquatic, indeed. Maybe I'm jaded, but so far nothing else is speaking to me much. Many still look good, just...not on my wants list.

*not counting a few exciting Japanese sets that were just released...

Am not too keen on the toobs unfortunately and yeah maybe they'll pull a banger at the end

SerAndrew

CollectA is not giving me much in the last years (last one was an exception), but I can always rely on the prehistoric non-dino series.

This one is about replacing my Safari elk, as well as removing the Schleich red deer. I will unify both in this magnificent figure (both for shake of space and because the figure is superb).
THe proboscis and ibex are also potential replacements, but I don't see them as good as the elk.

Of course the placerias will join (unless it's a monstruosity) and I'm confident we'll see something aquatic this Friday!

bmathison1972

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 17, 2023, 06:51:29 PMWouldnt that imply 6 batches

Or they are going to dump A LOT on the last week ;-)

EpicRaptorMan

Looks like there's going to be an anteater coming up on the releases too.

I have both the new and the old Schleich anteater (old one is up for sale), but I've always found the new one to be too big.... So if one comes around for a good price it might be replaced. It's currently standing next to my white rhinoceros and it's just as big :P

SerAndrew

Oh, it seems sellers are very intersted in providing with anteaters to their customers.
Schleich 2022, Mojo + Papo re-release 2023, CollectA 2024

bmathison1972

Quote from: SerAndrew on November 21, 2023, 08:06:44 PMOh, it seems sellers are very intersted in providing with anteaters to their customers.
Schleich 2022, Mojo + Papo re-release 2023, CollectA 2024

Before that though, it was a long time since we've had an anteater. They were due!

EpicRaptorMan

I like anteaters enough to where I would collect only anteaters if I didn't have a self-imposed 1 species clause

JimoAi

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on November 21, 2023, 07:47:01 PMLooks like there's going to be an anteater coming up on the releases too.

I have both the new and the old Schleich anteater (old one is up for sale), but I've always found the new one to be too big.... So if one comes around for a good price it might be replaced. It's currently standing next to my white rhinoceros and it's just as big :P

where did you get that info?