Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CollectA — New for 2024

Started by EpicRaptorMan, October 28, 2023, 07:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmejoe3

Just logged back on. Gotta agree, the cuttlefish is the one catching my eye within this lineup.

suspsy

Has no one come across a leaked list for extant animals? There was one for the prehistoric ones.

EpicRaptorMan

bmathison1972

Quote from: suspsy on November 13, 2023, 01:10:26 AMHas no one come across a leaked list for extant animals? There was one for the prehistoric ones.

Nope and I'm not looking for one. I like to be surprised :-)

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 14, 2023, 03:28:04 PM
Quote from: suspsy on November 13, 2023, 01:10:26 AMHas no one come across a leaked list for extant animals? There was one for the prehistoric ones.

Nope and I'm not looking for one. I like to be surprised :-)

Same. Somewhat disappointed that the dinosaur leak proved to be legit.

EpicRaptorMan

I would rather see a leaked list of the extant fauna. Saves me of having to check up every Friday just to be probably disappointed.

Arctinus

Collecta's revealed a few more extant wildlife this time (I'm sure Blaine will upload photos, since I've forwarded the newsletter).

The three new species are:
Alpine ibex
Wapiti
Axolotl
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

~Anatole France

SerAndrew

Quote from: Arctinus on November 17, 2023, 10:32:42 AMCollecta's revealed a few more extant wildlife this time (I'm sure Blaine will upload photos, since I've forwarded the newsletter).

The three new species are:
Alpine ibex
Wapiti
Axolotl

The wapiti and ibex are gorgeous!

Arctinus

Quote from: SerAndrew on November 17, 2023, 10:46:57 AMThe wapiti and ibex are gorgeous!

They are! The ibex looks much better than the new Schleich one I planned on getting. Collecta seems to excel at ungulates. I hope they make a chamois as well one day. :)
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

~Anatole France

SerAndrew

Well, I honestly wish brands stop copying each others. So, if possible, no chamois for me but rather a new ungulate

But, come on, Papo releases a valais black face sheep the same year as Schleich, CollectA releases an axolotl the year after Safari, and I can keep going
Show some originality!!

I know they have to offer "similar" things to avoid the other brands entering in your market, but there are other ways.

bmathison1972

here they are; about to upload first post:

Gwangi

Oh the elk and ibex look fantastic! And now I'll have to decide between this axolotl and Safari's but I'm sure CollectA's will be smaller.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on November 17, 2023, 12:10:44 PMOh the elk and ibex look fantastic! And now I'll have to decide between this axolotl and Safari's but I'm sure CollectA's will be smaller.

CollectA's will be smaller but Safari's looks more detailed.

I am torn between the Schleich and CollectA ibex; CollectA has a better build, but I think Schleich captures the face/eyes better (the eyes look goat-like on Schleich's)

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 17, 2023, 12:22:30 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on November 17, 2023, 12:10:44 PMOh the elk and ibex look fantastic! And now I'll have to decide between this axolotl and Safari's but I'm sure CollectA's will be smaller.

CollectA's will be smaller but Safari's looks more detailed.

I am torn between the Schleich and CollectA ibex; CollectA has a better build, but I think Schleich captures the face/eyes better (the eyes look goat-like on Schleich's)

I prefer CollectA's but would be happy with either. Since I'll likely encounter Schleich's during a TSC run that will probably be what I get.

suspsy

That ibex is great. Will probably add it to the family animal collection eventually.

Gwangi

Quote from: SerAndrew on November 17, 2023, 10:55:55 AMWell, I honestly wish brands stop copying each others. So, if possible, no chamois for me but rather a new ungulate

But, come on, Papo releases a valais black face sheep the same year as Schleich, CollectA releases an axolotl the year after Safari, and I can keep going
Show some originality!!

I know they have to offer "similar" things to avoid the other brands entering in your market, but there are other ways.

Don't forget back-to-back elk with Safari and CollectA. Would have been nice if at least one of the axolotls had the wild-type coloration.  :P

Hard to take issue with similarities between CollectA and Safari releases when CollectA can be difficult to find in the U.S. and Safari can be difficult to find in Europe.

bmathison1972

Also the timing of similar releases is often coincidental given the design and production time for some companies.

But Gwangi made a good point about availability in different countries.

SerAndrew

Quote from: Gwangi on November 17, 2023, 02:49:46 PM
Quote from: SerAndrew on November 17, 2023, 10:55:55 AMWell, I honestly wish brands stop copying each others. So, if possible, no chamois for me but rather a new ungulate

Show some originality!!

Don't forget back-to-back elk with Safari and CollectA. Would have been nice if at least one of the axolotls had the wild-type coloration.  :P

Hard to take issue with similarities between CollectA and Safari releases when CollectA can be difficult to find in the U.S. and Safari can be difficult to find in Europe.

Yes, there's plenty of other examples, aardvarks, proboscis, etc

The only reason I may find for companies "cheat" on the species other company releases is precisely that: that retailers and distributors don't see the need to start selling the toys from the other brands.

Here in Europe (Spain at least) you barely see Safari. I can only think in two shops in Madrid and two more in the whole Country. CollectA is a bit more extended, but not so much. And I know for sure that the distributor of Safari and CollectA in Spain is the same company...

Now, on the other hand, by producing completely new figures you are not risking much either, because as long as your figures have demand, distributors will keep selling to shops.

So I don't know. Of course, the actual behavior is a mix, because they don't copy 100%. But it cannot be coincidence that so many brands are releasing simutaneously so many common species... Production times can be long, but I'm pretty sure they can manage to have a figure ready in one year, which is normally the "coincidence period".

EpicRaptorMan

Oh yes that Elk is good! Maybe a little darker around the head/neck and maybe the axolotl too depending on size.

Shane

Quote from: Gwangi on November 17, 2023, 02:49:46 PM

Show some originality!!

Additionally, it's really unlikely that there's direct "copying" going on. Companies release figures of what they think is going to be popular. Axolotls are very "hot" right now for example, and there is a noticeable lack of figures. So it's not surprising that multiple figures are now coming out from different companies.