Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CollectA — New for 2024

Started by EpicRaptorMan, October 28, 2023, 07:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

three new dinos on the DTB: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=11109.msg360226#msg360226

I'll wait until I get the email with everything before updating

EpicRaptorMan

Wow all three of them look good. Too bad I don't collect prehistorics.  O:-)

I'll be back tomorrow to see what else CollectA unveils. We'll see if the predictions on the anteater is true (I'm kinda hoping for something different but we'll see).

SerAndrew

Placerias for me please

Is it me or CollectA prehistorics this year are not very high quality?
I don't collect dinos seriously and I don't have any CollectA, but the velociraptor looks like made in the 90s, and the diprotodon also looks too vintage.

bmathison1972

here are the rest. I'll upload the first post with names.
The only other thing not a horse or dino is a giant anteater:

JimoAi

dang that's sad. Am only keen on the placerias.

bmathison1972

Looks like this year, for both Papo and Collect I'll be getting less than half of what I got last year. Honestly, I'm fine with that. I welcome a quiet year.

Looks like five for me (and one is a replacement):

1. common cuttlefish [replaces Bullyland]
2. Dreadnoughtus
3. Border Collie
4. Placerias
5. Nanuqsaurus

SerAndrew

Mmm no sealife... that's weird

Just placerias and elk/red deer for me. Maybe proboscis as replacement for Mojo, but I'm started to feel not right about replacements

bmathison1972

Quote from: SerAndrew on November 24, 2023, 01:16:43 PMMmm no sealife... that's weird

Just placerias and elk/red deer for me. Maybe proboscis as replacement for Mojo, but I'm started to feel not right about replacements

I tend not to replace unless it's a noticeable/substantial improvement, or the size is much better

Gwangi

I was excited about the Diprotodon but at 20.5 cm I don't think I want it. I normally avoid CollectA's prehistoric mammals because they're always so big. My prehistoric mammal collection is mostly Safari with a few Mojo, Schleich, Eofauna. I don't actually have a single CollectA prehistoric mammal, now that I think about it.

So it looks like the only prehistoric I'm definitely be getting is the Placerias. And of the extant offerings the elk, and cuttlefish. I might end up grabbing the axolotl, ibex, anteater, and proboscis since I don't have any of those species in my collection yet. We'll see.

EpicRaptorMan

Looks like I was right on the anteater.

SerAndrew

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 24, 2023, 01:21:45 PM
Quote from: SerAndrew on November 24, 2023, 01:16:43 PMMmm no sealife... that's weird

I tend not to replace unless it's a noticeable/substantial improvement, or the size is much better

As long as I like the figure "more", I replace. At then this is what we do, we like buying this things, it gives us this little joy.
Problem is with us, synoptics, that have to choose! And in my case is just a matter of space

EpicRaptorMan

Yeah I don't like replacing my stuff too often either.

But my new Schleich Anteater might be on the cutting board. May replace it with either the Papo or SafariLtd version...doubt it would be CollectA's.
Also my "standing Racoon" from Schleich may also be out the door.

Arctinus

I have to admit I was hoping for more extant animals. I already have Safari's anteater and just got Papo's today. I usually don't collect multiples, but there are a few figures where I've bought a replacement and kept the older figure (Papo and Collecta fennec fox, Safari and Papo anteater etc.). I don't know, I might get this anteater, too, since it looks nice and has a somewhat different pose.

The diprotodon is too large for my taste. It seems to be almost as big as their elasmotherium, which I made a mistake of buying. I don't like their deluxe line (due to size).
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

~Anatole France

suspsy

The anteater beats out the Schleich one. Well done. But once again I am left disappointed at the paltry selection of extant wild animals.

Sim

I'm not happy about how mammal-heavy CollectA's extant animal lineup is.  I wasn't expecting it to be any different though.  I also don't understand how people can be happy with an endless stream of nearly identical horse models.  It's ridiculous.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Sim on November 24, 2023, 07:12:06 PMI'm not happy about how mammal-heavy CollectA's extant animal lineup is.  I wasn't expecting it to be any different though.  I also don't understand how people can be happy with an endless stream of nearly identical horse models.  It's ridiculous.

Horse collecting is a culture in itself. It's a huge industry and they sell very well. In the grand scheme of things, more people are excited for more horses than they are proboscis monkeys and anteaters.

Gwangi

Quote from: Sim on November 24, 2023, 07:12:06 PMI'm not happy about how mammal-heavy CollectA's extant animal lineup is.  I wasn't expecting it to be any different though.  I also don't understand how people can be happy with an endless stream of nearly identical horse models.  It's ridiculous.

Well put it in perspective and take a critical look at dinosaur collectors. It's kind of ridiculous the number dinosaur collectors that want an endless stream of nearly identical dinosaur figures. Especially since no one knows what they looked like externally and they've all been dead for 66+ million years. You've got people clamoring for all manor of sauropods when they're all basically the same..."thin on one end, much much thicker in the middle, and then thin again at the far end". Or demanding a Pachyrhinosaurus canadensis when there are plenty of perfectly good P. lakustai figures. Or wanting feathered dromaeosaur W and X when there are already figures for Y and Z and the only real difference between then is a slight change in proportions and a different imagined color.  ;)

Meanwhile, horses are arguably the most important animal in human history and each breed has its own unique history and purpose. I can understand why people like them.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Gwangi on November 24, 2023, 07:55:45 PM

Well put it in perspective and take a critical look at dinosaur collectors. It's kind of ridiculous the number dinosaur collectors that want an endless stream of nearly identical dinosaur figures. Especially since no one knows what they looked like externally and they've all been dead for 66+ million years. You've got people clamoring for all manor of sauropods when they're all basically the same..."thin on one end, much much thicker in the middle, and then thin again at the far end". Or demanding a Pachyrhinosaurus canadensis when there are plenty of perfectly good P. lakustai figures. Or wanting feathered dromaeosaur W and X when there are already figures for Y and Z and the only real difference between then is a slight change in proportions and a different imagined color.  ;)

Meanwhile, horses are arguably the most important animal in human history and each breed has its own unique history and purpose. I can understand why people like them.
'Horse' covers one species while 'Dinosaur' covers an entire group of some of the most successful terrestrial animals ever as well as whatever other weird extinct stuff they decide to do

Gwangi

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 24, 2023, 08:20:40 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on November 24, 2023, 07:55:45 PM

'Horse' covers one species while 'Dinosaur' covers an entire group of some of the most successful terrestrial animals ever as well as whatever other weird extinct stuff they decide to do

Ok...and like I said, each horse breed has its own history and purpose, that they're the same species is inconsequential. In fact, it makes them more appealing for those interested in domestication and selective breeding.

What's funny is that now people are going to try to convince me that dinosaurs > horses when everyone should realize that I am a dinosaur collector first and foremost and am only offering an alternative perspective. You know, so that people don't mistakenly believe that their ridiculous hobby is better than another. Walk in another person's shoes and all that. But maybe this is not the place for inward introspection and empathy.

Sim

I respectfully disagree with you on this Gwangi.  Horses are all one species with only slight differences, while dinosaurs are many species with lots of difference between them.  I don't think there's anything wrong with having a lot of horse figures.  I just find it ridiculous to have as many as are being made.  I believe there are people who like to have so many horse figures, but I also think it's bad taste to be so obsessed with just one species of animal.  Maybe collecting animal figures, extinct or extant, is ridiculous too, but I think being able to appreciate and learn about vaiety of life is interesting.