News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Saarlooswolfhounds New Additions! 7/25

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, May 07, 2023, 02:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

Figured I better get my new acquisitions topic started here. :) I got several nice parcels this week and have one more very exciting one on the way! (At least it is exciting for me).

First up are some prehistorics, I posted more on the DTF, but in general it was a great week for old Safari figures! The Spinosaurus and Allosaurus are my favorite species, thus very welcome. I have hunted for the Leptoceratops for some time, the Plesiosaurus is a welcome non dino! And the Apatosaurus is a great pose. Lastly, the Battat (Boston) Museum line was a new discovery for me once this Gallimimus figure arrived in a lot.

Next, an old IC gecko in a big lot for cheap! Several of these have sold for much more than I was lucky enough to secure for him. The loach minnow was the last one I needed to complete my Marsh Education series! The komodo is a tentative keep... it is painted differently from my old one, can anyone verify if this is the rerelease paint scheme? Then some small breyer foals my Mom found for me while out thrift shopping.

Thanks!

bmathison1972

I had the Safari Leptoceratops when I first started collecting, but let it go during my long arthropod-focused period. I need to re-find it!!

Gwangi

The new Safari leopard gecko got me wanting a tokay and there it is. I hope if they ever make another it has its mouth open though.

Saarlooswolfhound

Thanks Blaine ang Gwangi! I have seen the Leptoceratops pop up a few times on ebay over the last few months, and not horribly expensive either. The tokay is quite nice and is just another reason my previous collecting barrier for this line/scale is quickly crumbling beneath my resolve...

JimoAi

I feel the maisaura, leptoceratops  and the tokay have aged like fine wine and I needed to double take because I thought you've gotten an actual tokay specimen!

The mini Mosasaurus is cute, it's my fave CollectA mini out of the dozens they've released in too.

I've had the Carnegie allosaurus as a kid too, albeit in a grey and pink colour scheme.

The Elasmosaurus definitely would sub in for a loch Ness monster, albeit as good if not, better than the Papo one (just don't give it tree fiddy if you get the joke)

Saarlooswolfhound

Thank you JimoAi! I am very fond of them all too. :D

Saarlooswolfhound

I couldn't wait to share any longer! The elephant parade has arrived. :drunken: These guys deserved an outside photoshoot.

My very first Eofauna. I barely have words... I have been saving for these for weeks. They are stunning and gorgeous in every detail. I tried so hard to resist, but have never been happier that I gave in. Ever since I read Steve Brusatte's "The Rise and Fall of the Mammals" (after his other book, "The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs") I couldn't get these guys out of my head. I have always hoped to see more prehistoric mammals from companies. And slowly, it has happened and I hope it continues. Now I dream of the TNG mammals to add to my curation.

Deinotherium

Konobelodon

Paleoloxodon

Steppe Mammoth

And now, all together.

I adore each one! And this will not be the last you see of them. ;) I plan on unpacking some other friends for more photoshoots with them all.

After a hard day, these proboscidians and this sunset comforted me after all.

EpicRaptorMan

Really cool. Makes me want to get into collecting prehistorics too  :-X . Are there any Platybelodon or Ambelodon figures?

AnimalToyForum

Fantastic new acquisitions, congratulations. Your photographs really do them justice!

Saarlooswolfhound

SerAndrew

These are really amazing, just hoping that they release more in the near future.

I totally recommend you to add the TNG woolly mammmoth and stegodon, as well as the elasmotherium and megacerops.

Saarlooswolfhound

Thank you SerAndrew!

More news. My trip proved to be rather fruitful in terms of new models. Visited the farm and ranch stores along the way and netted the CollectA Draft horse with a cat, Knabstrupper, Nile croc, and Dimetrodon (originally not on the list but I am a sucker for a proto-mammal anyway...), and then two Little Buster Toys "livestock show" heifers. These are rather flat in detail, but unlike the bulls, they do have texture on their legs immitating the floofed appearance of these animals at show. 

Then at a toy store I snagged some Papo! African elephant, African fish eagle, pheasant, regal blue tang, and clownfish. In the case of the elephant and fish, I was convinced to get them when in hand... lots of nice details! 

And lastly here, I got a couple of Mojos: English bulldog, red panda, and reissued SR tazzy devil. I will try to do a comparison of them this weekend. Also, a rather self indulgent ebay purchase and yet another case of a figure I forgot/didn't realize would be GIANT... the BBC WWD series Ophthalmasaurus.

Then, from the shrimp over to the left, was a great purchase from Balaenoptera! (THANK YOU!) Lots of new species there, and they were kind enough to include some extras like the Safari toob husky! 

From the center right is a mixture of unknown brand thrift store finds, another ebay purchase (the sought after Papo farm dog, and two PVs). Front and center are the new Yowies Babies! I bought 2 boxes of these things (one box of 12 indifferent locations) and got 3 characters (all Boof, the orange guy), a handful of doubles (mostly the manatee calf), but almost got the entire series. I am only now missing the bear, cassowary, frogfish, monkey, and the chase piece giraffe. Not bad I think...

And here are a few closer up... these ones are a bit harder to photograph than in the past...

The echidna puggle does sit upright, but the hedgehog does not.

Saarlooswolfhound

New! Toymany wolves arrived with some hairless "Animal Paradise" friends (they weren't marketed as Animal Paradise, but they had a tag with them upon arrival), a few thrift finds of a variant AAA giraffe, a AAA chimp female with baby (got missed in my photo shoot  :roll: ), Funrise boxer and bull terrier, and then a happy score from Whitelightningwolf of the Club Earth vampire bat and Lynx!

Saarlooswolfhound

These are largely finds at a small toy store on my coastal vacation.

The 2 dinos, 3 Papo insects, chinamal wolf and weird lynx, set of 4 crows, and axolotls are from the toy store. The crows and axolotls were sets (4 unique crow/raven figures, and 6 axolotls) from a novelty toy company called Archie Mcphee for anyone interested. I have extra axolotls for trade eventually.

The snakes are children's bracelets from a wildlife "safari" park I visited. I may be brave and try to straighten them out... the turtles too are from the park. The boxes were marked "fun stuff" (novelty toys) for the snakes and wild republic for the turtles (the only 2 types left! and the box looked old... 90s-ish?)

Everything else was either ebay or thrift store, etc. catches. The sheep is lead(?) and marked Germany. Any ideas on brand?

snakey close up

The mystery of the mahi mahi fish continues... About 2 years ago I found the rainbow fish on ebay. Since then I found the silver one and now a 3rd variation. All are same sort of material, no stamp besides "China". Similar paint application/finish if not style. Part of some sort of ocean fishing set?

And an axolotl size comparison with friends.

One last plug. Only a  year, maybe 2 ago, I ONLY had like 6 insect figures... they just weren't my thing. But with this invasive Mathisonivirus going around... my hoard has swelled to numerous across groups of insects and arachnids! We all know who to blame...

bmathison1972

the Mathisonivirus is now a full-fledged pandemic  ;D  8)  :P

Saarlooswolfhound

;D  ;)  ::)   I can't complain. It has become a much more satisfying side collection... nothing I get too serious about (pining after models I mean) but something I have enjoyed getting new species/models etc. and its turned into a great sampling of the weird teenie animal world!

Here are the box displays for the snake bracelets and turtles if anyone is curious/has more info.

BlueKrono

The turtles I recognize. Not sure if they have an official brand name but I see them in gift shops all over the place. There's maybe half a dozen different ones. Cheap, Chinese... not much to say about them.
I like turtles.

Saarlooswolfhound

Thank you BlueKrono. The turtle box said Wild Republic, but the box itself looked like it had been there a while... maybe a product originally from the 90s? But definitely the sort of cheap toys (I think I got my 2 turtles for like .50 cents each) many entertainment places stock on.

Koifish

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on May 10, 2023, 05:45:59 AMSteppe Mammoth

I love that Eofauna steppe mammoth! It's been on my list for some time, perhaps I will get it soon... though I'm wondering, do you think it could stand in for a Columbian mammoth? I've been desperately needing a Columbian for my zoo, and no one has made one surprisingly. I've read that steppe mammoth remains and Columbian remains are sometimes indistinguishable, and of course I'm a firm believer that Columbians were only scantly covered in hair similar to Asian elephants (at least down south, maybe moreso up north). It looks like the Eofauna has hair, but it doesn't look like much.
Bluestem Zoo | Collector of mainly late Pleistocene-Holocene animal figures | Come visit my zoo! | THIS HOBBY NEEDS MORE RECENTLY-EXTINCT SPECIES!!