News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: Great danes!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

Gharial!

Their name is derived from the Indian word "ghara" which means "mud pot"; European explorers misread it and named these animals "gavials". Hence, both titles are used today. They also have the largest eggs of any crocodilian species weighing in at 6 oz (160 grams) per egg!

Saarlooswolfhound

Thank you everyone. :)

Cuban and American crocs!

Cuban crocodiles are the most endangered of their family group. One unique feature is that their hind feet are less webbed and hind legs a little longer than other crocs. This enables them to do a "high walk" on land much easier than any other croc species!

sbell

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on February 28, 2024, 02:11:12 PMGharial!

Their name is derived from the Indian word "ghara" which means "mud pot"; European explorers misread it and named these animals "gavials". Hence, both titles are used today. They also have the largest eggs of any crocodilian species weighing in at 6 oz (160 grams) per egg!

Is this post including true gharial and false gharial Tomistoma?

I seem to recall realizing years later that Schleich made one of the latter, especially after Papo made theirs.

Saarlooswolfhound

Yes, the two models below are false gharials (Schleich and PV).

Saarlooswolfhound

More crocs!

My factoid will be for my dwarf cave crocodile. These guys are technically the species of African dwarf crocodiles, but there are individuals that have moved into caves and take advantage if this niche. Their diets have shifted; outside crocs eat freshwater critters while the cave dwellers eat almost exclusively crickets and bats. Some scientists theorize that they could be evolving into a new species, making it a great research opportunity. The only forseeable challenge currently to their alternative lifestyle is their reproductive cycle.

Saarlooswolfhound

Nile crocs!

These guys have been found preserved as mummies in Egyptian tombs! Full grown adults as well as hatchlings and eggs. (Animal mummies are actually very interesting, the Egyptians preserved all sorts of things!).

Saarlooswolfhound

Chameleons!

There are over 200 species of chameleon! The Parson's chameleon can grow to over 2 feet/60 centimeters long while the species Brookesia micra grows only to about 1.1 inches/30 milimeters.

bmathison1972

Looks like your Toymany set came in just in time LOL

Saarlooswolfhound

Sim

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on March 05, 2024, 03:42:52 PM
I have a few questions...
1. What is the figure in front of the Mojo chameleon?
2. What species is the Schleich chameleon in the front row?
3. What figure is the small chameleon to the right of the aforementioned Schleich figure?

Shane

Quote from: Sim on March 05, 2024, 06:20:25 PM3. What figure is the small chameleon to the right of the aforementioned Schleich figure?

If you mean the tiny figure in the lower right, that's a Safari Good Luck Minis Chameleon figure (based on a juvenile veiled chameleon).

Saarlooswolfhound

Howdy Sim!

1) that is this guy

2)No species for the Schleich

And Shane got #3. :) Let me know if you have any more questions!

Sim

Thanks guys! :)  It looks like the Toy Animal Wiki would benefit from updating its Safari good luck mini chameleon page to specify the figure is a veiled chameleon.  I'm curious about what the Schleich figure is based on since I'd like to replace my Mojo chameleon with it as I find the Mojo too large for me.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Sim on March 05, 2024, 09:08:33 PMThanks guys! :)  It looks like the Toy Animal Wiki would benefit from updating its Safari good luck mini chameleon page to specify the figure is a veiled chameleon.  I'm curious about what the Schleich figure is based on since I'd like to replace my Mojo chameleon with it as I find the Mojo too large for me.

The Schleich chameleon could probably pass for a vailed; it seems to be the go-to species to make. Looks like a juvenile specimen.

Saarlooswolfhound

I was going to say the same thing. The head shape is passable in my opinion.

Sim

Thanks you two!  I've just purchased it, the Mojo is too garish and big for me, this one by Schleich should be perfect for me.  I plan to have it represent the common chameleon, even if it might not be 100% accurate to it.

Saarlooswolfhound

Thank you everyone!

Iguanas!

Iguanas are a large group of lizards; there are 45 different species! They range from over 6 feet to as small as 5 inches. Species are found in North, Central, and South America, the Antilies, Galapagos, and Fiji.

bmathison1972

Any plans on getting the CollectA iggy?

Saarlooswolfhound

Oh yes, that is just one of 2 brands I am sorely behind on releases for... CollectA and Mojo. If I were to ever see it in person it'd be an instant buy as it is splendid!

Saarlooswolfhound

Komodos!

It was recently confirmed that these guys ARE venemous! In addition to some really effective and nasty oral bacteria, their bites do envenomate their prey; bites quickly cause the prey animal to go into shock due to blood poisoning and their venom is hemotoxic (does not let the blood clot effectively) which also allows for effective blood loss.