News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: Great danes!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Quote from: Isidro on February 09, 2024, 05:19:27 AM
Quote from: BlueKrono on February 08, 2024, 02:28:07 PMThe two are synonyms, so both are correct. The common term would be "turtle". I never use the term "Testudines" because it brings to mind Testudo, tortoises specifically. But that is just a personal preference, and I'm probably biased since I used to work for Peter Pritchard at the Chelonian Research Institute.

I also never use the term "Testudines" because this is a synonym of the taxon Chelonia, that comprises all turtles. While concerning common names, "Tortoise" is the English term for those turtles in the family Testudinidae and "turtle" for all other families of turtles. In Spanish is much easier as all receive the same common name: "tortuga". ("galápago" for the freshwater aquatic species, excluding softshells, but they are also considered "tortuga")

You are correct that "tortoise" refers to all in Testudinidae, at least in American English that I'm familiar with.  But the term "turtle" includes all chelonians including tortoises. Thus all tortoises are turtles but not all turtles are tortoises. Turtle is always correct and anyone who says you must say tortoise is both being pedantic and probably doesn't have a deep enough understanding of reptile terminology.
I like turtles.

Saarlooswolfhound

Thank you everyone. So the words are essentially interchangeable, but Chelonia is the more correct.

Green Sea Turtles!

These guys are the largest hard-shelled turtles. They are unique amongst sea turtles because they are more herbivorous (eating seagrasses and algae). This is actually how they got their name; their diet makes their fat green! So it wasn't their shell color at all!

Saarlooswolfhound

EpicRaptorMan

So far there's not a single green sea turtle figure that I find to be acceptable in size and quality. Maybe the Schleich one?

Saarlooswolfhound

I personally really like the Schleich one. And that comes from someone who isn't a sea turtle fanatic, so take that opiniom for what its worth. ;)

bmathison1972

EpicRaptorMan

Yeah the colors a bit plain on the face. I assume it is really small too

JimoAi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 09, 2024, 06:19:03 PMHere is mine. It's probably too plain colored, but I like the nesting diorama:

https://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=2715.msg26454#msg26454

sorry to burst your bubble but that figure is and is marketed as a loggerhead turtle

bmathison1972

Quote from: JimoAi on February 09, 2024, 10:47:59 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 09, 2024, 06:19:03 PMHere is mine. It's probably too plain colored, but I like the nesting diorama:

sorry to burst your bubble but that figure is and is marketed as a loggerhead turtle

EDIT: You are right! I double-checked the paperwork I have for another figure in the set! It was sold to me as a green sea turtle!

EDIT 2: OK, I replaced the Takara loggerhead with this Koro Koro version. I'll reuse that pic when the loggerhead comes up in the daily museum post LOL. In the meantime, to find a new green sea turtle. I am partial to Schleich's as well.

JimoAi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 09, 2024, 11:32:48 PM
Quote from: JimoAi on February 09, 2024, 10:47:59 PM

EDIT: You are right! I double-checked the paperwork I have for another figure in the set! It was sold to me as a green sea turtle!

EDIT 2: OK, I replaced the Takara loggerhead with this Koro Koro version. I'll reuse that pic when the loggerhead comes up in the daily museum post LOL. In the meantime, to find a new green sea turtle. I am partial to Schleich's as well.

The upcoming Ikimon rereleased is very good!

Saarlooswolfhound

Here is a double post for missing yesterday. More species of sea turtles and some unidentified ones.

For sea turtles in general, their eggs' sex are temperature dependant. Cooler temps will produce more males, warmer will produce more females. If the nest is in an area with a high enough temperature swing, the clutch will be better mixed between the two sexes. Most females nest at night but Kemp's ridleys often nest during the daytime.

BlueKrono

In the lower picture I would interpret the two in the bottom left to be hawksbills, and the one in the middle to be a green. That's just a personal impression though.
I like turtles.

Saarlooswolfhound

Thank you for your thoughts! That was my suspicion for the Safari Authentics figure. The other two I hadn't considered but they fit that ID rather well!

Galápagos tortoises!

I am sure this is a generalization but something I learned is that the tortoises in more humid environments have dome shaped shells; these don't allow for the extension of the neck, so these guys are more ground level grazers. Drier environments have 'saddle-backed" shell tortoises; these shells have an upturned lip that allow the neck to be raised more and they can nibble of taller plants. Lastly, the drier climate dwelling species eat Galápagos cactus... ones with 2-3 inch thorns!!! I don't know how they do it! It looks like it would be painful but it doesn't bother them one bit.

Saarlooswolfhound

The remaining tortoises!

The oldest tortoise recorded was believed to be 175 years old! She was collected by Charles Darwin (THE Darwin) and later ended up at Australia Zoo in Queensland. She passed in 2006.

Saarlooswolfhound

Now, some proper turtles.

Mata mata are some of my favorites as they are just so weird looking! Tonight I learned that they have filamentous spines in their throat; no one is sure what purpose they provide but theories include grasping prey items. Their weird skin flaps are also super nerve sensitive, making them experts at "seeing" their surroundings (like prey) without using their eyesight!

bmathison1972

What's a mata? Oof, you're playing from my scorebook now LOL

Saarlooswolfhound

I learned from the best. ;)

Softshells!

These are my favorite group with this category. They are just odd looking animals to me I find them endearing. Something I just learned is that these guys use both pharyngeal and cloacal breathing. These animals can stay submerged for hours on end and use these methods to continue harvesting oxygen while waiting for prey to swim by.

Saarlooswolfhound

Snapping turtles!

Part of the reason these animals have such a reputation is because their body proportions are very different from other turtles. Their shell and plastron are rather small compared to the actual body, preventing them from being able to withdraw their extremeties into safety. Because of this, it is thought they developed their well known "bite first- ask questions later" aggression.

Gwangi

I've always had a fondness for those Laramie snapping turtles, but I've always HATED the Papo one. I'm trying to track down the Safari alligator snapper, and that Safari softshell from your previous post. I wish someone would make a decent common snapper.

I have turtles and tortoises as pets too but I'll refrain from talking about my pets in every post.  ;D

BlueKrono

@Gwangi Kaiyodo's is pretty good:
https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Kaiyodo_ChocoQ_Animatales_7_Common_Snapping_Turtle

@Saarlooswolfhound Do you know what that redhead is? Snapping turtles are my favorite animals but I've never seen that one before.
I like turtles.