News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Curious Compendium 2023: Pets!

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, April 30, 2023, 06:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

Monitors!

Blue tree monitors were first described in 2001, but were then being seen in the pet trade as soon as 2003. These guys are only found in a very restricted range of Batanta island (and a few other small surrounding islands) in Indonesia. It has been recorded that it is already extinct on one of the smaller islands due to over collecting for the pet trade. They also have been observed displaying play behavior!

sbell

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on March 07, 2024, 06:45:59 PMKomodos!

It was recently confirmed that these guys ARE venemous! In addition to some really effective and nasty oral bacteria, their bites do envenomate their prey; bites quickly cause the prey animal to go into shock due to blood poisoning and their venom is hemotoxic (does not let the blood clot effectively) which also allows for effective blood loss.

My niece was literally on Komodo island yesterday, checking out the dragons! It looked like a fun tour.

BlueKrono

Quote from: sbell on March 08, 2024, 05:15:52 AM
Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on March 07, 2024, 06:45:59 PMKomodos!

It was recently confirmed that these guys ARE venemous! In addition to some really effective and nasty oral bacteria, their bites do envenomate their prey; bites quickly cause the prey animal to go into shock due to blood poisoning and their venom is hemotoxic (does not let the blood clot effectively) which also allows for effective blood loss.

My niece was literally on Komodo island yesterday, checking out the dragons! It looked like a fun tour.

That sounds incredible! Truly a dream of mine. I don't think I've shared this here but I'm a long distance open water swimmer and one of my goals one day is to swim and trek from the island of Sumbawa to Flores, across Komodo Island. The furthest open sea stretch would be about 6 miles - a pretty good distance even for me.
I like turtles.

bmathison1972

Neat @BlueKrono - I did ironman triathlons in the early 2000s :)

Saarlooswolfhound

That is incredible Sbell! To see them in the wild IN person?!? What an experience!

I could never do such feats of physical exertion, but that dream of yours BlueKrono sounds amazing too! I hope you can do that someday. I'd love to visit the Isle of Flores!

P.S. is the komodo photo showing for everyone?

bmathison1972

It's not showing at the moment; sometimes Postimages has temporary issues like this, they are few and resolve quickly (unless something else is at play)

sbell

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on March 08, 2024, 05:59:21 PMThat is incredible Sbell! To see them in the wild IN person?!? What an experience!

I could never do such feats of physical exertion, but that dream of yours BlueKrono sounds amazing too! I hope you can do that someday. I'd love to visit the Isle of Flores!

P.S. is the komodo photo showing for everyone?

I had no problem with the photo.

Apparently her whole trip around the area was all about seeing the dragons. So that's cool

Sim

Saarlooswolfhound

Thanks everyone, it seemed to be popping in and out this morning but it was just that photo (at least of my recent presentations). It seems to be showing now. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

bmathison1972

As of the time of this writing, I can see the 'Monitors' but not 'Komodos'. Could be a cache issue and may resolve within time. I'll check again when I get home later this afternoon.

Saarlooswolfhound

Basilisks!

Green crested basilisks can stay submerged in water for up to 10 minutes (quite a feat for such a small animal). Their name comes from a Greek root and for a Greek mythological monster (Basiliskos meaning "little king" or "little snake").

Saarlooswolfhound

Geckos!

The group of leaf-tailed geckos (14 species) evidently sleep in a way to mimic whatever camoflage they have chosen. I.e. the species that mimic falled dried leaves, will sleep in curled positions while those who mimic plant stalks, will stretch kut in a more or less straight line.

Saarlooswolfhound

Mixed lizards!

For draco lizards, there are 42 species! If you didn't know, their specialized "wings" are highly adapted extended rib bones with a skin flap covering. The undersides of their wings are usually color coded for males (blue) vs. females (yellow) [although coloration does change a bit with 42 different species].

bmathison1972

getting into mixed lizards? Depending on what's next, tomorrow's 'Museum' post might match up with your post... LOL

Saarlooswolfhound

More mixed reptiles!

Gila monsters are one of the very few venomous lizards we know of! Their venom is injected through grooves in their lower teeth and has to be "chewed" into the prey item. This venom is actually very medically important as it is used in diabetic medications today. A peptide in this venom makes a gila monster digest items more slowly, and this resembles human insulin that lowers blood sugar.

bmathison1972

ha! My prediction came true LOL, although you don't have the 'version' I do (same sculpt, different release)

Gwangi

Is that a red eft (juvenile eastern newt) I see with the lizards?

Saarlooswolfhound

Ha I just noticed that Blaine! Great minds I suppose...

@Gwangi, no thats definitely not a newt as it has scales. I ID'd it as a gila monster with innacurate coloring based on the sculpt (its an unknown chinamal).

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on March 14, 2024, 05:27:47 PMHa I just noticed that Blaine! Great minds I suppose...

@Gwangi, no thats definitely not a newt as it has scales. I ID'd it as a gila monster with innacurate coloring based on the sculpt (its an unknown chinamal).

Ok. My daughter has that one with the pink spots on the head only it's a different color. Black and white if I remember right.

sbell

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on March 14, 2024, 05:27:47 PMHa I just noticed that Blaine! Great minds I suppose...

It's also in the original Safari reptiles toob...

Which is somehow still available, despite so many good toobs being discontinued.