News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd. - New for 2023

Started by bmathison1972, January 27, 2023, 02:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 05, 2023, 02:57:09 PMthe white is accurate...but in that promo pic it looks 'overdone' to me, like cake frosting!

Keep in mind this is a pretty small figurine. The close-up pictures will exaggerate features and make them
much more obvious than it would be in hand.

Gwangi

That owl definitely looks better in hand than in the promo picture. But like I said, I'll photograph it and post it when I get the chance. And like Shane pointed out, this figure is about the size of a TOOB toy.

Saarlooswolfhound

A gorgeous model, I can't wait to see it in hand!

EpicRaptorMan

Going to be hard to beat the bullyland Great grey owl.

A bit unfortunate that it is TOOB-sized as some suggest. Idk why they'd really bother with it and not just make an Owl Toob.

Shane

It
Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on May 05, 2023, 04:52:02 PMGoing to be hard to beat the bullyland Great grey owl.

A bit unfortunate that it is TOOB-sized as some suggest. Idk why they'd really bother with it and not just make an Owl Toob.

It is similarly sized with other Wings of the World figures. Almost exactly the size of the Snowy Owl figure, just minus the base.

On paper, the figure may technically be similar in size to TOOB figure dimensions, but the level of paint and sculpt detail is far more than a TOOB figure would have.

Isidro

If toob-sized means less than 4,5 cm lenght, I may buy it.

Saarlooswolfhound

Gwangi

Here are some in-hand pictures of all the new figures. I'm going to try to get reviews of them all up as quick as possible, not biweekly like I usually do.

We'll start with the owl since it's a hot topic today. Yes, it is small, but the paintwork and detail on this tiny figure is unreal. I don't have the Bullyland GGO so I'm ecstatic about this one. I included a comparison photo with other Wings of the World figures and birds from Safari's songbird TOOB.

Here are the leopard gecko and tuatara.

bmathison1972

Thanks Gwangi; your pics are helpful, but I am still on the fence about the owl. We'll see over time

Fembrogon

The detailing looks very good for the size; but for a great grey owl it doesn't seem very... well, grey. It almost looks more like a female snowy owl in coloration.

Gwangi

I'm really surprised at how nitpicked this owl is getting. I thought it would be more well received.

It's grey. Pale grey but still believable as a GGO. just compare the white portions of the face to the grey body. To be a female snowy owl the figure would have to be pure white with the brown streaking. And the entire face would need to be pure white too, without any markings. This figure nails the very distinctive facial markings of the great grey.

And I don't get the love for Bullyland's which looks sort of generic. It doesn't get the feet right, which should be zygodactyl and feathered.

Safari nails the feet.

Saarlooswolfhound

Bullyland did get the feet wrong on their grey owl. I love the model though, its a pose with energy and great color imho. I also love this new grey owl too though, it will be great for outdoor photography and won't take up as much space on displays.

Gwangi

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on May 05, 2023, 07:28:25 PMBullyland did get the feet wrong on their grey owl. I love the model though, its a pose with energy and great color imho. I also love this new grey owl too though, it will be great for outdoor photography and won't take up as much space on displays.

The Bullyland has admirable qualities for sure, like the pose. It's just not a great representative of its species IMO.

bmathison1972

Hmmm. OK. I need to think about this more. I never noticed the Bullyland's feet are wrong.

I feel the Safari figure is a bit small, given that it's considered the largest owl in terms of length.

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 05, 2023, 07:50:33 PMHmmm. OK. I need to think about this more. I never noticed the Bullyland's feet are wrong.

I feel the Safari figure is a bit small, given that it's considered the largest owl in terms of length.

I'll agree with you on the small size. I would have preferred a slightly larger figure. As you can see, it really is about the same size as those TOOB songbirds.

bmathison1972

I'd eventually like to see it alongside the Safari Eurasian eagle owl (but don't kill yourself to get pics soon Gwangi, if it's not convenient)

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 05, 2023, 08:49:45 PMI'd eventually like to see it alongside the Safari Eurasian eagle owl (but don't kill yourself to get pics soon Gwangi, if it's not convenient)

I don't have the Safari Eurasian eagle owl yet. The only owl I have is the CollectA barn owl. Keep in mind that I'm actually pretty new to the extant animal hobby. I've got a lot of catching up to do. I wish I had more owls to compare it to but it is what it is.

Isidro

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on May 05, 2023, 05:30:44 PMwebsite indicate 2.5 inches long, 1.75 inches tall.
https://www.safariltd.com/products/great-grey-owl-figurine?_pos=6&_sid=8e8fab1b1&_ss=r

Shame, this owl is too ginormous then. I would buy it if smaller,but that's a titanic owl.

stargatedalek

I am here for more big reptiles! Exciting to see these coming back after so long without.

SerAndrew

This owl is not good...

And the best grey owl is the Naturalism