News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

I can't publish posts or add new posts to the ATB

Started by bmathison1972, October 29, 2022, 09:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

First of all, I have been in touch with Adam, our administrator and he has been looking into things, but here is the gist of things:

Several months ago, I could not post or push live reviews on the ATB. I have no trouble doing a 'quick edit' in the Dashboard, and I have no problem uploading media (hence I have been able to do my daily 'Museum' posts with no issues. The problem was only on Chrome and only on my home computer; I was using Microsoft Edge as a back-up at home and have had no problems with Chrome at work.

Last night, after putting a Guest review in draft, I did a Windows update on my computer. Now, as of this morning, I am having the same problems with Microsoft Edge.

Interestingly, Edge is giving me a warning message when I go to post a new review. When I go add a new post, there is a red banner with this message:
AIOSEO relies on the WordPress Rest API and your site might have it disabled. Click here to learn more

When I click it goes to this site:
All in One SEO uses the WordPress REST API - AIOSEO

On that page if I click on the WordPress REST API link, it goes here:
REST API Handbook | WordPress Developer Resources

I am not sure if the solution to my problem rests here; I don't understand enough of the computer mumbo-jumbo to be sure LOL

I do a CCleaner sweep every time a browser closes, so I know it's not a cache issue

I know we don't have as many posters as of late on ATB but has anyone else experience this? I will cross post this on DTF to see if anyone has had this issue.

suspsy

That's very perplexing and unfortunate. I don't claim to be a computer expert either. I hope it gets resolved soon. Blasted tech. :(

bmathison1972

Quote from: suspsy on October 30, 2022, 01:34:13 PMThat's very perplexing and unfortunate. I don't claim to be a computer expert either. I hope it gets resolved soon. Blasted tech. :(

Adam and I have been trying everything. I downloaded Firefox today and it's working there. I still need to check my work computer. Also I have a phone call with a friend in Atlanta later who is a computer guru! He might offer up some ideas!

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 30, 2022, 01:36:16 PM
Quote from: suspsy on October 30, 2022, 01:34:13 PMThat's very perplexing and unfortunate. I don't claim to be a computer expert either. I hope it gets resolved soon. Blasted tech. :(

Adam and I have been trying everything. I downloaded Firefox today and it's working there. I still need to check my work computer. Also I have a phone call with a friend in Atlanta later who is a computer guru! He might offer up some ideas!

How did it go with your work computer?

bmathison1972

Quote from: animaltoyforum on October 31, 2022, 06:24:41 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 30, 2022, 01:36:16 PM

How did it go with your work computer?

Work computer is fine. I sometimes take my work laptop home. Alternatively, I can edit posts and images and forward them to work. Ideally, I shouldn't spend time at work doing this hahaha, but once text and images are ready, it's about 5 minutes of copying and pasting LOL  8)  C:-)  ;D
Heck, I am answering this at work bwahahahaha

AnimalToyForum

Well, at least it works on your work computer! Hopefully, in time, we'll be able to work out what's causing the incompatibility with your home computer...

Gwangi

Sorry I have been unresponsive to all of this, I've had family visiting for the past week and they've occupied most of my time.

AnimalToyForum

Wordpress just released a new version, 6.1, which I just installed. Perhaps this has helped resolve your issues @bmathison1972 ?

bmathison1972

Quote from: animaltoyforum on November 02, 2022, 11:15:21 AMWordpress just released a new version, 6.1, which I just installed. Perhaps this has helped resolve your issues @bmathison1972 ?

Thanks; I'll try when I get home tonight! :)

bmathison1972

Quote from: animaltoyforum on November 02, 2022, 11:15:21 AMWordpress just released a new version, 6.1, which I just installed. Perhaps this has helped resolve your issues @bmathison1972 ?

@animaltoyforum - I just opened a random post from home and I look to have all the normal functions! Let's hope it stays! Thanks!!!!

AnimalToyForum

Great! Fingers crossed it stays that way for you!

bmathison1972

Quote from: animaltoyforum on November 03, 2022, 02:11:18 AMGreat! Fingers crossed it stays that way for you!

Well that didn't last long; problem is back already (at least in Chrome; haven't tried other browsers yet). My computer has something on it, either something from my last Windows update or maybe my Malwarebytes software). I might have it professionally looked into. But, I do have a couple workarounds for now

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 03, 2022, 12:50:15 PM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on November 03, 2022, 02:11:18 AMGreat! Fingers crossed it stays that way for you!

Well that didn't last long; problem is back already (at least in Chrome; haven't tried other browsers yet). My computer has something on it, either something from my last Windows update or maybe my Malwarebytes software). I might have it professionally looked into. But, I do have a couple workarounds for now

Oh no!

Could you try temporarily disabling the Malwarebytes software to see if that really is the cause?

AnimalToyForum

So, it seems that disabling the Search Engine Optimisation plugin has fixed the problem for and you don't get the error messages any more!? Is is permanently fixed for you?

bmathison1972

Quote from: animaltoyforum on November 05, 2022, 11:55:44 AMSo, it seems that disabling the Search Engine Optimisation plugin has fixed the problem for and you don't get the error messages any more!? Is is permanently fixed for you?

No, the problem seems to come and go. When I log in fresh it is fine but than later the problem is back. Baffling. 
I can still edit on the 'Quick Edit' part of the dashboard and I can upload images, but I cannot edit in Draft mode.

I have some workarounds (eg, trying to edit after a fresh log-in or doing it from work). I also haven't tried the non-Chrome browsers in a while (maybe they'll work first time bringing them up lol, and I'll save that for an actual blogpost!).

The problem seems to lie in my computer, so if you want to stop tinkering with things Adam and restore features you want, that's fine with me. I appreciate all the troubleshooting on your end.

I think I'll take it in for a professional somewhere. I am using the same cleaning software (CCleaner) and anti-virus software (Malwarebytes) I always have; hard to imagine one of them is the culprit. I think it was something in my Windows updates...

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 05, 2022, 12:12:58 PM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on November 05, 2022, 11:55:44 AMSo, it seems that disabling the Search Engine Optimisation plugin has fixed the problem for and you don't get the error messages any more!? Is is permanently fixed for you?

No, the problem seems to come and go. When I log in fresh it is fine but than later the problem is back. Baffling. 
I can still edit on the 'Quick Edit' part of the dashboard and I can upload images, but I cannot edit in Draft mode.

I have some workarounds (eg, trying to edit after a fresh log-in or doing it from work). I also haven't tried the non-Chrome browsers in a while (maybe they'll work first time bringing them up lol, and I'll save that for an actual blogpost!).

The problem seems to lie in my computer, so if you want to stop tinkering with things Adam and restore features you want, that's fine with me. I appreciate all the troubleshooting on your end.

I think I'll take it in for a professional somewhere. I am using the same cleaning software (CCleaner) and anti-virus software (Malwarebytes) I always have; hard to imagine one of them is the culprit. I think it was something in my Windows updates...

I'm sure a professional, looking at this in isolation, will blame the web-server/host. But we know that's not the cause because other users are not facing the same problem. So, if you do take it to a professional and they try to blame the server don't let them fob you off with that explanation!

They may also suggest it's a problem with the site being set as http instead of https. However, if that IS the cause of the problem for you, the conflict is with your computer, again because other users are not facing it. I suspect it is a security or anti-virus feature on your computer.

Can you try disabling certain programmes or apps (e.g. CCleaner) on your computer to trouble-shoot and rule out culprits your end?

AnimalToyForum

@callmejoe3 I noticed you just posted a review, did you encounter any of the above problems in the process?

Gwangi

I tried to post again but it didn't work. I did notice a red banner that said "AIOSEO relies on the WordPress Rest API and your site might have it disabled. Click here to learn more." Does that have something to do with this?

EDIT: I downloaded and tried a different browser (Firefox) and it appears as though that will work. It at least allowed me to save a draft and didn't give me any red banner messages. I will try to post my review tomorrow, unless one is scheduled. 

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on November 09, 2022, 04:31:23 PMI tried to post again but it didn't work. I did notice a red banner that said "AIOSEO relies on the WordPress Rest API and your site might have it disabled. Click here to learn more." Does that have something to do with this?

EDIT: I downloaded and tried a different browser (Firefox) and it appears as though that will work. It at least allowed me to save a draft and didn't give me any red banner messages. I will try to post my review tomorrow, unless one is scheduled. 

Gwangi - I had that same message and it didn't help. Adam tried tweaking some things that provided temporary fix, but the problem came back. Even other browsers (Firefox, Edge) worked briefly. I still think it's something tied to a recent Windows update (or maybe it really is the Blog itself?)

If you can't post tomorrow, let me know and I'll push it live for you from work! That still works for me!

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 09, 2022, 04:45:09 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on November 09, 2022, 04:31:23 PMI tried to post again but it didn't work. I did notice a red banner that said "AIOSEO relies on the WordPress Rest API and your site might have it disabled. Click here to learn more." Does that have something to do with this?

Gwangi - I had that same message and it didn't help. Adam tried tweaking some things that provided temporary fix, but the problem came back. Even other browsers (Firefox, Edge) worked briefly. I still think it's something tied to a recent Windows update (or maybe it really is the Blog itself?)

If you can't post tomorrow, let me know and I'll push it live for you from work! That still works for me!

I really think it's the blog. The entire format looks different from how it looked when it actually worked. The inability to create tags and featured images being one difference.