News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

I can't publish posts or add new posts to the ATB

Started by bmathison1972, October 29, 2022, 09:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on November 09, 2022, 05:40:51 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 09, 2022, 04:45:09 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on November 09, 2022, 04:31:23 PMI tried to post again but it didn't work. I did notice a red banner that said "AIOSEO relies on the WordPress Rest API and your site might have it disabled. Click here to learn more." Does that have something to do with this?

EDIT: I downloaded and tried a different browser (Firefox) and it appears as though that will work. It at least allowed me to save a draft and didn't give me any red banner messages. I will try to post my review tomorrow, unless one is scheduled. 

Gwangi - I had that same message and it didn't help. Adam tried tweaking some things that provided temporary fix, but the problem came back. Even other browsers (Firefox, Edge) worked briefly. I still think it's something tied to a recent Windows update (or maybe it really is the Blog itself?)

If you can't post tomorrow, let me know and I'll push it live for you from work! That still works for me!

I really think it's the blog. The entire format looks different from how it looked when it actually worked. The inability to create tags and featured images being one difference.

I still have that ability but @bmathison1972 has shown me a screenshot showing those features have disappeared for him as well. I haven't knowingly changed or removed this. Something is amiss but it is difficult to diagnose from my end because I'm not the one being affected...

Gwangi

I was able to post my review using the Firefox browser. Using Firefox, the ability to categorize, tag, and add a featured picture will all there. On Chrome those features are still not there.

EDIT: Did try to fix a typo after posting the review and I was unable to on either Chrome or Firefox.

Gwangi

I tried to post a review to the Dinosaur Toy Blog and this time experienced issues on both Chrome and Firefox. I'm not tech savvy and feeling pretty defeated right now.  :-\

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on November 13, 2022, 03:21:49 PMI tried to post a review to the Dinosaur Toy Blog and this time experienced issues on both Chrome and Firefox. I'm not tech savvy and feeling pretty defeated right now.  :-\

The issue is now on DTB? Flagging @animaltoyforum - so he is aware. MUST be something with Blog updates

AnimalToyForum

Hmmm...Well I'm still not experiencing it myself. Something's clearly amiss though...

Gwangi

I'm still getting this message... "AIOSEO relies on the WordPress Rest API and your site might have it disabled. Click here to learn more."

So I clicked it, and here's what I get...

QuoteAll in One SEO uses the WordPress REST API to communicate with the WordPress application.

This is a common way for plugins to connect to and communicate with WordPress.

However, some plugins may block access to the REST API. This can include security plugins and CDN services that have an option to block all communication with the REST API or just allow communication for logged in users.

All in One SEO only communicates when you make changes to the plugin settings, which requires that you're logged in to your site and in the WordPress admin area.

If All in One SEO is blocked, then you will see a red warning notice at the top of the screen as shown below.

If you see this notice, try deactivating each plugin one at a time until the notice goes away. This should indicate which plugin is blocking access to the REST API.

If the problem still happens after deactivating all plugins, then switch to the default Twenty Twenty theme and see if the notice goes away.

So I don't know what a lot of that means or how to deactivate each plugin, but I suppose I'll try to figure it out. That it says "switch to the default 2020 theme" has me thinking it's a blog update that is the root of the problem. @animaltoyforum

EDIT: I Googled how to deactivate plugins and got this website. It says I need to log in to my Wordpress Admin dashboard, which I cannot do. Maybe it's just time to retire from reviews. I've had a good run.  :P
https://mediatemple.net/community/products/wordpress/360022275731/how-to-deactivate-wordpress-plugins-for-troubleshooting

EDIT: I uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it and that allowed me to post my review. I cannot fathom why but if that's what it takes then so be it.

AnimalToyForum

I already deinstalled that plugin on the AnimalToyBlog several days ago. I can do the same on the DTB. Are you encountering the same error on both sites?

Gwangi

Quote from: animaltoyforum on November 13, 2022, 10:14:31 PMI already deinstalled that plugin on the AnimalToyBlog several days ago. I can do the same on the DTB. Are you encountering the same error on both sites?

Yes, it was on both sites, and still shows up on the ATB (just checked).

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: animaltoyforum on November 13, 2022, 06:57:10 PMHmmm...Well I'm still not experiencing it myself. Something's clearly amiss though...

Quote from: Gwangi on November 13, 2022, 10:23:16 PM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on November 13, 2022, 10:14:31 PMI already deinstalled that plugin on the AnimalToyBlog several days ago. I can do the same on the DTB. Are you encountering the same error on both sites?

Just to be completely clear, the message that comes up on ATB is the red banner that says "AIOSEO relies on the WordPress Rest API and your site might have it disabled. Click here to learn more."?

bmathison1972

Quote from: animaltoyforum on November 14, 2022, 12:36:58 AM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on November 13, 2022, 06:57:10 PMHmmm...Well I'm still not experiencing it myself. Something's clearly amiss though...

Just to be completely clear, the message that comes up on ATB is the red banner that says "AIOSEO relies on the WordPress Rest API and your site might have it disabled. Click here to learn more."?

That message is a default at the bottom (may have been there for a while?). The message I am still getting (on three browsers at home) when I try to save or update a post is 'Updating failed. You are probably offline' (another browser says 'may be offline')

I can check at work tomorrow to see if I am still OK there

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 14, 2022, 12:57:29 AM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on November 14, 2022, 12:36:58 AM

That message is a default at the bottom (may have been there for a while?). The message I am still getting (on three browsers at home) when I try to save or update a post is 'Updating failed. You are probably offline' (another browser says 'may be offline')

I can check at work tomorrow to see if I am still OK there

That's exactly what I'm experiencing, with both red banner messages.

AnimalToyForum

I've just made sure the AIOSEO plugin is completely deactivated on both the ATB and DTB. Let me know if the problem persists, in which case we can rule out that plugin as the culprit.

AnimalToyForum

OK, I'm going to try something that may cause the site to disappear. Don't worry if it does, I'll fix it.

AnimalToyForum

OK, I tried something (changing http to https in the Wordpress settings) but that caused the back-end to break completely - too many redirects. I think the site isn't https compatible yet, and I wonder if this may be a factor.

Gwangi

I am still getting the "Updating failed. You are probably offline" message but I didn't see the AIOSEO plugin message.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on November 14, 2022, 02:13:37 PMI am still getting the "Updating failed. You are probably offline" message but I didn't see the AIOSEO plugin message.

And I now cannot publish or edit at work. I am not functionally useless as the Blog editor

EDIT: I only tried Chrome at work. Don't want to try the others until I need to.

AnimalToyForum

Thanks for the confirmation. Can we coordinate in real time to try something out? I'd like to temporarily remove ALL plugins to see if the problem is Wordpress itself. I also want to change some server settings. But only to diagnose the problem, I want to change the settings back straight away because they effect security. I'm online now... drop me an email if you are too and we'll do some tests. If not now then let's schedule a time.

WhatsApp or Messenger, if you have that or something similar, might be a more immediate way to communicate while we do this...

bmathison1972

Quote from: animaltoyforum on November 14, 2022, 04:02:24 PMThanks for the confirmation. Can we coordinate in real time to try something out? I'd like to temporarily remove ALL plugins to see if the problem is Wordpress itself. I also want to change some server settings. But only to diagnose the problem, I want to change the settings back straight away because they effect security. I'm online now... drop me an email if you are too and we'll do some tests. If not now then let's schedule a time.

WhatsApp or Messenger, if you have that or something similar, might be a more immediate way to communicate while we do this...

I am at work now and can't do anything in real-time, especially since I have students this week

We can try in the evening OR...I am on PTO for a Dr's appointment tomorrow so I should have a lot more time tomorrow (outside of 10:30-2:00PM my time, Mountain time)

EDIT: For communicating, I can do Zoom or Google Meets, maybe Google Messenger

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 14, 2022, 04:16:06 PM
Quote from: animaltoyforum on November 14, 2022, 04:02:24 PMThanks for the confirmation. Can we coordinate in real time to try something out? I'd like to temporarily remove ALL plugins to see if the problem is Wordpress itself. I also want to change some server settings. But only to diagnose the problem, I want to change the settings back straight away because they effect security. I'm online now... drop me an email if you are too and we'll do some tests. If not now then let's schedule a time.

I am at work now and can't do anything in real-time, especially since I have students this week

We can try in the evening OR...I am on PTO for a Dr's appointment tomorrow so I should have a lot more time tomorrow (outside of 10:30-2:00PM my time, Mountain time)

EDIT: For communicating, I can do Zoom or Google Meets, maybe Google Messenger

No problem, let's try it tomorrow. :)

Gwangi

I have an appointment tomorrow as well, where I'll be sedated. It's early in the morning so I might be able to assist in your efforts later on, if you need me.

EDIT: I just tried it again and refreshing or reinstalling Firefox allows me to save drafts and post again, but only once. I have to refresh the browser after each post for it to work.