News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by bmathison1972, January 17, 2022, 10:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

I've been traveling for five days and getting caught up with things. I'll update the first post later today.

suspsy

Meh. I can think of any number of animals that Safari has never tackled before which would have been more exciting than a new okapi.

EpicRaptorMan

@suspsy that is actually how I got into collecting animal figures. It was sometime in the early 2000s and I was walking across Target. I passed by the toy aisle and an okapi figure (by Schleich) caught my attention. "Who makes an animal toy of an okapi; a obscure species?" I thought. So I decided to buy it and while I was there looking, I also saw their Ibex which I also purchased.

As for Safari LTDs Okapi... The face and eyes look very half-heartedly painted

bmathison1972

I think it's a nice okapi, just not to where I feel I need to replace the one I have.

sphyrna18

I think this is a really great update to their former Okapi, which was released in what? 1998 or something like that?  This looks a lot like the Wildlife Wonders figure, which is now retired, but it makes me wonder if this was sculpted by Doug Watson, as I believe the Wildlife Wonders figure was.  Bravo Safari, it was time to update that sculpt, and this is a great one!  And while we can all think of species that we wish companies would tackle that haven't been done in the past, I think it's wise to keep expectations reasonable in that there will always be figures that need updated sculpts or paint jobs, and this is one example of a major step up (like last year's Black Leopard - which is world's better than Safari's previous Leopard!!). While there was nothing wrong with Safari's previous Okapi, it was starting to look very soft in details due to its age.  This new sculpt looks fresh and crisp and.... well, I'm excited to get it in my personal collection and to carry it in the store because it looks like it will be an eye-catcher!

EpicRaptorMan

Safari Ltd unveiled a new Chinese Dragon for '22.

Not that I or anyone else here would care but it is important to note that Safari Ltd. did say they only had 6 unveils left. One being the Okapi and now this...so only 4 left for 2022. Fingers crossed.

suspsy

Safari has teased what is clearly an anaconda on their Facebook.

EpicRaptorMan

Whatever that snake is it is gonna be revealed this Saturday morning...🍿

Gwangi

bmathison1972

Oooo @Gwangi - you've been keeping a wonderful secret ;-)

EDIT: I'll update the first post when Safari reveals a traditional promo pic!

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 16, 2022, 03:27:55 PMOooo @Gwangi - you've been keeping a wonderful secret ;-)

EDIT: I'll update the first post when Safari reveals a traditional promo pic!

They did release one on social media but it's not on their website yet.

EpicRaptorMan

Looks good. A bit large for my taste, but I appreciate Safari Ltd. not making an overly aggressive Anaconda model...too many snakes are depicted negatively.

Guess that means we have 3 more figures for July

bmathison1972

And I have a feeling we will see at least one of them here next Friday...  ;)  8)

EpicRaptorMan

Sure hope they're good. So far only the Salmon Shark for me

sbell

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on July 16, 2022, 10:09:36 PMSure hope they're good. So far only the Salmon Shark for me

That's my only for sure so far.
The Asian toob is a maybe. Or I'll grab it if I see it in stores. Toobs often show up even if other figures don't

Gwangi

@bmathison1972 requested a picture of the anaconda with some standard size figures and I figured I might as well share it here. Yes, it is a very random assortment pictured together. I feel like the anaconda scales well enough with most birds, reptiles, and medium sized mammals.

EpicRaptorMan

I keep thinking the anaconda figure is really big... But I keep having to remind myself that it is also a pretty big snake irl.

Still not enough for me to want to replace my Schleich Anaconda

bmathison1972

in that latest photo it looks really big, but I have taken enough group pics of figures to know that proportions can be altered based even the slightest camera angle. For example, the pic makes it look like the snake is twice as big as the CollectA Brahman cattle, but I have that cattle and it's 5 inches, only one inch smaller than the snake (or so). Looking at Gwangi's in-hand pic on the Blog, it looks to my liking.

GojiraGuy1954

Ikessauro

I just wish these didn't take so long to be actually released. I like how PNSO handles their releases. They show the new model, a week later it is available. I hope Safari doesn't take too long to released this one. Would prefer to buy it with a few others to save on shipping.