News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by bmathison1972, January 17, 2022, 10:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

SerAndrew

The okapi is not good (no texture, very thick legs, those eyes...) and of course not exciting since it's nothing new.

The anaconda is ok in terms of appearance (not a masterpiece though) but belonging to IC it's too big for most of our collections. This trend of some big brands (CollectA is doing the same) about favouring big scales makes it difficult for us to find interesting new releases. Besides, I have the impression that "regular" sizes are also becoming bigger, see for example the manned wolf from last year...

Given the "playmobil-ish" salmon shark, okapi and Minke whale I think I won't be getting new things from Safari in a long time...

I don't understand why don't they focus in other critters more suitable for their particular style that would also be wellcome by the generic audience (= children) like the hornbill we have been waiting for years.

Gwangi

Quote from: SerAndrew on July 18, 2022, 05:56:13 PMThe okapi is not good (no texture, very thick legs, those eyes...) and of course not exciting since it's nothing new.

The anaconda is ok in terms of appearance (not a masterpiece though) but belonging to IC it's too big for most of our collections. This trend of some big brands (CollectA is doing the same) about favouring big scales makes it difficult for us to find interesting new releases. Besides, I have the impression that "regular" sizes are also becoming bigger, see for example the manned wolf from last year...

Given the "playmobil-ish" salmon shark, okapi and Minke whale I think I won't be getting new things from Safari in a long time...

I don't understand why don't they focus in other critters more suitable for their particular style that would also be wellcome by the generic audience (= children) like the hornbill we have been waiting for years.

Having the Safari anaconda in-hand I can say that compared to every other anaconda made, it is absolutely a masterpiece in as much as a $15 toy can be. I don't understand the complaints about scale that I've been seeing. I estimated a scale of 1/7 for this snake which puts it in the same scale range as many other reptile, bird, and small-medium size mammal toys. If 1/7 is too big then are you only collecting TOOB figures to go with your 1/20 scale large mammals? A 1/20 scale anaconda would need to be about 9" which is certainly doable but I really want to know what other reptiles or birds one might realistically display with a 9" long anaconda? And it seems to me that having an anaconda that scales with other reptiles would be preferable to having one that can scale with an elephant. But that's just me.

As for the salmon shark. Playmobilish? Really? Have you SEEN a salmon shark? They practically look like toys themselves. The Safari salmon shark looks great and IT'S A SALMON SHARK, the first one ever, possibly the only one ever. It seems to me that some toy collectors don't really want to collect toys. And, I'm pretty sure snakes and sharks do appeal to Safari's "generic" audience.

bmathison1972

thanks for the 'promo' pic of the anaconda, Gwangi - I'll update the first post tonight when I get home from work.

EpicRaptorMan

I think I would have to see the Anaconda in person, but the Schleich Is good enough for me. Seeing the photos of the snake gives me the impression that it is larger lengthwise than my elephants, and that is just in a coiled up position.

My only real complaints with the salmon shark is the spots on the underside, which I don't see too often in real examples, and it too is quite large in size (advertised at 6+" iirc). Which puts it the same size as my tiger sharks & lemon shark, and only a bit away from the great white I have

GojiraGuy1954

Might get the Anaconda to represent Titanoboa cerrejonensis

Gwangi

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on July 18, 2022, 07:25:34 PMI think I would have to see the Anaconda in person, but the Schleich Is good enough for me. Seeing the photos of the snake gives me the impression that it is larger lengthwise than my elephants, and that is just in a coiled up position.

My only real complaints with the salmon shark is the spots on the underside, which I don't see too often in real examples, and it too is quite large in size (advertised at 6+" iirc). Which puts it the same size as my tiger sharks & lemon shark, and only a bit away from the great white I have

The Schleich anaconda is a fine figure, and before the Safari one would have been my preference. I don't know how big it is or what its scale is though, and it is also now retired.

The salmon shark is closer to 5" which puts it at 1/22 in scale for a maximum size specimen. Lemon sharks and salmon sharks can both reach 10' and when I reviewed the lemon shark I calculated its scale at 1/19 for a maximum sized specimen.

Nothing inaccurate about the spotting on the salmon shark. They don't all have heavy spotting but putting it on this figure helps distinguish it from a white shark.

EpicRaptorMan

@Gwangi you're right. I guess it's the fact that real salmon sharks have more translucent spots than the Safari's figure.

@GojiraGuy1954 I think the Titanoboa might work better, but again, I would like to see it in person and in stores.

Gwangi

The salmon shark, minke whale, and baby alligator are now available on Safari's site.

bmathison1972

Ooooo! The salmon shark already!

I'll wait for Happy Hen Toys. When I ordered the Patagotitan from Safari, I had a miserable experience with Fed-ex (not Safari, they were fine)

EpicRaptorMan

Well also Safari Ltd's website limits to a minimum order of $15. The Salmon shark is only $6.99 and there's absolutely nothing else I want that I don't have already.

Was looking at the N.American Porcupine to reach my $15 goal, but they're listed as out of stock

bmathison1972

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on July 21, 2022, 04:16:14 PMWell also Safari Ltd's website limits to a minimum order of $15. The Salmon shark is only $6.99 and there's absolutely nothing else I want that I don't have already.

Was looking at the N.American Porcupine to reach my $15 goal, but they're listed as out of stock

Ah! Good point about the minimum! I would have to wait for something else to release anyway!

Gwangi

Remember folks, I have a discount code on Safari's website that's good until September 1st. GWANGI15 saves you 15%. Heck, I'll use it myself once those dinosaurs are released.  :P

Gwangi

Here's today's reveal. I'm pretty happy with this one, a lot of unique species in here.

bmathison1972

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!

I really want the scorpion, monitor, and viper!!!

Overall what a wonderful assortment! If anyone who complained and moaned about the Asia TOOB complains here, you'd better find a new hobby because you'll never be satisfied.

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 22, 2022, 02:30:24 PMOMG OMG OMG!!!!!

I really want the scorpion, monitor, and viper!!!

Overall what a wonderful assortment! If anyone who complained and moaned about the Asia TOOB complains here, you'd better find a new hobby because you'll never be satisfied.

Agreed! Those were my favorites as well, and those obscure antelopes. But even the common animals are very well done.

bmathison1972

Also, just updated the first post!

EpicRaptorMan

Do I still have to find a new hobby even if I don't, and never have, like Toobs?

The Addax is cool; would rather a full size one.
And the Horned Viper too depending on actual size/quality. Dunno how I'd feel about buying the entire TOOB just for one.

EpicRaptorMan

So that brings us to two more reveals for 2022 this month.
- Okapi
- Green Chinese Dragon
- Green Anaconda
- Desert TOOB
- ??
- ??

bmathison1972

Quote from: EpicRaptorMan on July 23, 2022, 09:56:03 AMSo that brings us to two more reveals for 2022 this month.
- Okapi
- Green Chinese Dragon
- Green Anaconda
- Desert TOOB
- ??
- ??

Maybe dinos, as I thought it was hinted there are more dino reveals (?!?!)