News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by bmathison1972, January 17, 2022, 10:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EpicRaptorMan

Hooray another option to get a good looking gharial figure  ^-^ ...but it's a TOOB figure...

suspsy

If only Safari would make big versions of the bull Asian elephant and the gharial.

NSD Bashe

Looks like this is only the second toy figure of a saiga ever made?..

bmathison1972

Quote from: NSD Bashe on June 04, 2022, 03:54:59 PMLooks like this is only the second toy figure of a saiga ever made?..

Yes, a wonderful opportunity for collectors of TOOB-sized figures!

Isidro

If the Philippine eagle have the same size than their TOOB harpy eagle, then I want it

sbell

Quote from: Shane on June 03, 2022, 01:40:29 PMhttps://www.safariltd.com/collections/new-releases/products/asian-animals-toob

I'm not going to hide my disappointment that 1) Asian primarily means India-China, 2) No fish and 3) Most of the species get made pretty often, with only the Philippine eagle and saiga being truly novel.

I already made my though known on Twitter...and might hopefully inspire an endangered Freshwater fish toob. So that's something

EpicRaptorMan

I don't understand why it would be so difficult to make a full scale model from the TOOB versions, I mean, you already the base modeling just make it larger and add more detailing.

BlueKrono

Quote from: NSD Bashe on June 04, 2022, 03:54:59 PMLooks like this is only the second toy figure of a saiga ever made?..

And only the third Philippine eagle, and perhaps the best one.
I like turtles.

stargatedalek

Quote from: sbell on June 04, 2022, 11:01:18 PM
Quote from: Shane on June 03, 2022, 01:40:29 PMhttps://www.safariltd.com/collections/new-releases/products/asian-animals-toob

I'm not going to hide my disappointment that 1) Asian primarily means India-China, 2) No fish and 3) Most of the species get made pretty often, with only the Philippine eagle and saiga being truly novel.

I already made my though known on Twitter...and might hopefully inspire an endangered Freshwater fish toob. So that's something
I do get that panda and tiger are essentially mandatory, (well, panda is, since tiger at least has the option of swapping in a leopard to fit its archetype), but it still hurts. What really stings though are the other four. I'm happy we at least got a reptile, but the gharial really feels like a huge missed opportunity to give us something else, maybe a water monitor.

bmathison1972

In a TOOB of 8 figures not everyone is going to get what they want.

Shane

Quote from: Isidro on June 04, 2022, 08:04:05 PMIf the Philippine eagle have the same size than their TOOB harpy eagle, then I want it

It is roughly the same size as the Harpy Eagle from the South American TOOB.

Shane

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 05, 2022, 12:11:18 PMIn a TOOB of 8 figures not everyone is going to get what they want.

Pretty much this. With 8 figures your options are limited, and the goal is not to make a TOOB full of novel animals, or osbcure species.

It's meant primarily to introduce children to the fauna of Asia. Obviously this is a huge region that can't be adequately covered by 8 figures, but that's why it's an introduction, for children to *begin* to learn about the fauna found in Asia.

There needs to be a balance of popular and well-known animals that are "emblematic" of the region, while also trying to include some lesser-known, less frequently seen in figure form options. Safari tried to strike a balance for this TOOB.

As a collector myself, it's obviously more fun for us when there are more obscure or unique animal figures created.

But I think we also sometimes need to step back a bit and realize we as adult collectors are not always the primary audience here.

Isidro

Quote from: Shane on June 06, 2022, 01:14:11 PM
Quote from: Isidro on June 04, 2022, 08:04:05 PMIf the Philippine eagle have the same size than their TOOB harpy eagle, then I want it

It is roughly the same size as the Harpy Eagle from the South American TOOB.

Many thanks Shane! I added it to my wishlist  :))

stargatedalek

Quote from: Shane on June 06, 2022, 01:22:38 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 05, 2022, 12:11:18 PMIn a TOOB of 8 figures not everyone is going to get what they want.

Pretty much this. With 8 figures your options are limited, and the goal is not to make a TOOB full of novel animals, or osbcure species.

It's meant primarily to introduce children to the fauna of Asia. Obviously this is a huge region that can't be adequately covered by 8 figures, but that's why it's an introduction, for children to *begin* to learn about the fauna found in Asia.

There needs to be a balance of popular and well-known animals that are "emblematic" of the region, while also trying to include some lesser-known, less frequently seen in figure form options. Safari tried to strike a balance for this TOOB.

As a collector myself, it's obviously more fun for us when there are more obscure or unique animal figures created.

But I think we also sometimes need to step back a bit and realize we as adult collectors are not always the primary audience here.
While I agree with the balance of popular versus obscure, the "obscureish" options are the ones that I think people are taking issue with. And only one animal from outside of IndoChina is not exactly achieving much of a balance or educating children of Asian animals, to be completely frank. There are plenty of other generically popular or mid-tier recognizable animals that would have made for far more diverse representation without straying from well known examples. Komodo dragons, water monitors, reticulated pythons, brown bears, foxes, Malayan tapirs, binturong, tarsiers, tanuki, great hornbills... all equally as recognizable as gharials, and most as recognizable and popular as Javan rhinos, Asian elephants and orangutans.

Shane

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 07, 2022, 11:00:24 PMWhile I agree with the balance of popular versus obscure, the "obscureish" options are the ones that I think people are taking issue with. And only one animal from outside of IndoChina is not exactly achieving much of a balance or educating children of Asian animals, to be completely frank. There are plenty of other generically popular or mid-tier recognizable animals that would have made for far more diverse representation without straying from well known examples. Komodo dragons, water monitors, reticulated pythons, brown bears, foxes, Malayan tapirs, binturong, tarsiers, tanuki, great hornbills... all equally as recognizable as gharials, and most as recognizable and popular as Javan rhinos, Asian elephants and orangutans.

That's a great list of animals. I would argue that most of them are not as recognizable or popular as rhinos, elephants or orangutans, but I'm not denying that there are plenty of choices that would make for a great TOOB.

Unfortunately, as mentioned, space is limited when you are attempting to provide an intro to Asian fauna in a single TOOB's worth of figures.

That doesn't mean those animals will never see the light of day in a TOOB or otherwise. There are plenty of more specialized regions or animal groups that can be focused on for future TOOBS.

Feedback is always appreciated.

sbell

Quote from: Shane on June 08, 2022, 02:18:39 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on June 07, 2022, 11:00:24 PMWhile I agree with the balance of popular versus obscure, the "obscureish" options are the ones that I think people are taking issue with. And only one animal from outside of IndoChina is not exactly achieving much of a balance or educating children of Asian animals, to be completely frank. There are plenty of other generically popular or mid-tier recognizable animals that would have made for far more diverse representation without straying from well known examples. Komodo dragons, water monitors, reticulated pythons, brown bears, foxes, Malayan tapirs, binturong, tarsiers, tanuki, great hornbills... all equally as recognizable as gharials, and most as recognizable and popular as Javan rhinos, Asian elephants and orangutans.

That's a great list of animals. I would argue that most of them are not as recognizable or popular as rhinos, elephants or orangutans, but I'm not denying that there are plenty of choices that would make for a great TOOB.

Unfortunately, as mentioned, space is limited when you are attempting to provide an intro to Asian fauna in a single TOOB's worth of figures.

That doesn't mean those animals will never see the light of day in a TOOB or otherwise. There are plenty of more specialized regions or animal groups that can be focused on for future TOOBS.

Feedback is always appreciated.

I guess to carry from the point @stargatedalek made, it might have been nice to see a more specific region within the vast continent.
Sort of like with the Amazon, South Africa, and Great Lakes toobs.

stargatedalek

Exactly. Only the eagle is from outside of Indo-China, so a "South Asian animals" or "Indo-Chinese animals" might have made for a better title for this set.

suspsy

Safari just unveiled a new okapi.

EpicRaptorMan

They also said they have 5 more figures left to reveal for 2022. All will be announced within the month of July.

And that Okapi they just revealed...yuck