Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

ATB Review Schedule

Started by bmathison1972, May 14, 2020, 09:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

There's not much to say. It's unfortunately a difficult to address problem.

bmathison1972

Before this discussion goes further, it's becoming off-topic. If you want to doscuss the bootleg issue in detail, please find or start a thread in the appropriate board. Thank you.

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on May 06, 2024, 09:12:43 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 06, 2024, 08:56:59 PMI am not sure we accept blatant knock-offs for Blog review. It was discussed early on but can't remember what, if anything, we decided. @AnimalToyForum - do you recall?

I would understand if they're not allowed. Although there are some on the DTB. In defense of reviewing a bootleg, as a product and toy animal that is currently available to consumers or collectors, I think it's justifiable to review them as long as they are stated as such. Any bootleg review I would write would be as much a cautionary tale as anything else anyway.

Which ones are knock-offs on the DTB? Generally I'm against it.

bmathison1972

Quote from: AnimalToyForum on May 07, 2024, 03:49:18 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 06, 2024, 08:56:59 PMI am not sure we accept blatant knock-offs for Blog review. It was discussed early on but can't remember what, if anything, we decided. @AnimalToyForum - do you recall?

I would understand if they're not allowed. Although there are some on the DTB. In defense of reviewing a bootleg, as a product and toy animal that is currently available to consumers or collectors, I think it's justifiable to review them as long as they are stated as such. Any bootleg review I would write would be as much a cautionary tale as anything else anyway.

Most of the 'knock-offs' on the DTB are sculpts originally produced by one company but sold my another (e.g. Boley). The thing is, do we really know these are 'knock-offs' or is there some kind of cooperative agreement between the company that actually made the figure. Sometimes, the seller of the figure isn't who actually made it; for example Wing Mau making figures for Play Visions and Club Earth.

Anyway @AnimalToyForum  here are knock-offs on the DTB using that category as a search parameter: https://dinotoyblog.com/other-category/knock-off/

AnimalToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 07, 2024, 03:53:44 PM
Quote from: AnimalToyForum on May 07, 2024, 03:49:18 PM

Most of the 'knock-offs' on the DTB are sculpts originally produced by one company but sold my another (e.g. Boley). The thing is, do we really know these are 'knock-offs' or is there some kind of cooperative agreement between the company that actually made the figure. Sometimes, the seller of the figure isn't who actually made it; for example Wing Mau making figures for Play Visions and Club Earth.

Anyway @AnimalToyForum  here are knock-offs on the DTB using that category as a search parameter: https://dinotoyblog.com/other-category/knock-off/

Oh, yeah, those. Even though they are technically knock-offs I don't think of most of them as such. The Salvat figures, for example, while heavily inspired by the originals, are different enough, sometimes very different (and are identifiably branded) to justify being reviewed. So, I think we should consider 'knock-offs' on a case by case basis.

bmathison1972

Back on track, a couple notes:

First of all, my next review is built in draft and scheduled to go live on Thursday, 5/9

Secondly, my blog/forum activity will be minimal Sunday-Tues (5/12-5/14) and guest reviews will have a delay in publishing

sbell

Hey, question--did anyone else claim Father's Day (June 16?) If not, I'm working on one that's actually appropriate for the day so I'd like to put my name on it.

bmathison1972

Quote from: sbell on May 16, 2024, 09:18:49 PMHey, question--did anyone else claim Father's Day (June 16?) If not, I'm working on one that's actually appropriate for the day so I'd like to put my name on it.

It's all yours @sbell - I'll put it on the calendar!

sbell

Quote from: bmathison1972 on May 16, 2024, 10:46:40 PM
Quote from: sbell on May 16, 2024, 09:18:49 PMHey, question--did anyone else claim Father's Day (June 16?) If not, I'm working on one that's actually appropriate for the day so I'd like to put my name on it.

It's all yours @sbell - I'll put it on the calendar!

Thanks!

Gwangi

Now I'm trying to figure out what fish that exhibits paternal care you might be reviewing. Obvious choice would be seahorse but there are certainly others, as you know.

sbell

Quote from: Gwangi on May 16, 2024, 11:26:35 PM

Now I'm trying to figure out what fish that exhibits paternal care you might be reviewing. Obvious choice would be seahorse but there are certainly others, as you know.

Turns out there's lots! Although not sure how many in toy form. But of course I have at least a few...

bmathison1972

BTW there is a Guest Review scheduled for tomorrow!

Gwangi

Quote from: sbell on May 17, 2024, 12:10:44 AM

Turns out there's lots! Although not sure how many in toy form. But of course I have at least a few...

There are more fish that come to mind that exhibit paternal care than maternal. Even if just by guarding nests.

sbell

Quote from: Gwangi on May 17, 2024, 03:54:30 AM
Quote from: sbell on May 17, 2024, 12:10:44 AM

There are more fish that come to mind that exhibit paternal care than maternal. Even if just by guarding nests.

And some share...and some divide the duty. There's so many ways they do it!

Gwangi

You can remove me from the following...

Schleich Harbor Seal
Safari Desert Tortoise
Safari Black Loosejaw
Safari Mockingbird
Safari Sailfish
Papo Hippopotamus
Papo Chamois
Papo Gorilla
Mojo Elephant Seal

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on May 21, 2024, 06:50:57 PMYou can remove me from the following...

Schleich Harbor Seal
Safari Desert Tortoise
Safari Black Loosejaw
Safari Mockingbird
Safari Sailfish
Papo Hippopotamus
Papo Chamois
Papo Gorilla
Mojo Elephant Seal

done

JimoAi

As agreed with @sbell, I would like to transfer the review to him

sbell

Quote from: JimoAi on May 22, 2024, 09:06:55 AMAs agreed with @sbell, I would like to transfer the review to him

Just to clarify, it's the Bandai alligator gar!

JimoAi

Quote from: sbell on May 22, 2024, 12:51:25 PM
Quote from: JimoAi on May 22, 2024, 09:06:55 AMAs agreed with @sbell, I would like to transfer the review to him

whoops, didn't realise I forgot to put in the figure lmao

bmathison1972

Quote from: JimoAi on May 22, 2024, 02:25:26 PM
Quote from: sbell on May 22, 2024, 12:51:25 PM

whoops, didn't realise I forgot to put in the figure lmao

Got it.

BTW someone not on the forum just submitted a Guest Review for the recent Mojo giant anteater, so consider that one reserved.