News:

The official blog of the Animal Toy Forum is now LIVE! Check it out at Animal Toy Blog!

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Animal Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Old World Monkeys - superfamily Cercopithecoidea

Started by brontodocus, January 02, 2013, 11:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontodocus

Walk-around of the colourful Papo Wild Animals Mandrill, Mandrillus sphinx (Linnaeus, 1758). Snout-vent ength is approx. 60 mm, height 61 mm, scale is approx. 1:10 - 1:14.

Edit 2017-02-07: Fixed broken image urls.

Jetoar

Nice figure but I think that this figure have a shiny painture, too shiny painture.
My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Ana

I think it is really nice figure :) Someone did good job sculpting it :)

I've seen it once in shop and I remember paint job was no at all shiny. Actually it looked very nice. I'm thinking about buying this monkey for  my collection too :D 

Thank You for sharing so nice photos of this figure :)

brontodocus

Hmm, I've also noticed that Papo is sometimes a little inconsistent with the mattedness of their paints. My Papo Zebu is especially shiny. Maybe the Mandrill isn't always the same?

Ana

I think that's quite possible, some editions may be painted more shiny and some less  ::)

Jetoar

I hope that they will change their paintures  ^-^.

Takama

Here's Safaris retired Baboons. Its a good figure though I have no idea what species its supposed to be. Any Ideas?

Jetoar

Lovely figure  ^-^. It is very original and a cool review for motherĀ“s day  ^-^.

Dragonwolf

How does this mandrill stack up against the Schleich mandrill? I've the Schleich model but not the Papo one. Which one is better?

brontodocus

Walk-around of the CollectA Wild Life 88673 Diana Monkey, Cercopithecus diana (Linnaeus, 1758). Snout-vent length is 52 mm with a tail length of approx. 75 mm so the scale is between approx. 1:8 and 1:10. The Safari Ltd Wildlife Wonders Western Gorilla, Gorilla gorilla, is approx. 1:8 - 1:9 scale (please forgive that I chose a figure representing an animal with a geographical range that doesn't really match even though both are Western African species but I don't have many other figures of the same scale). Despite being shown in many zoological gardens the Diana Monkey is actually not that common in the wild anymore and its geographical range is restricted to Western Africa from Southern Guinea to Ghana (the geographical range is somewhat similar to that of the Pygmy Hippopotamus, Choeropsis liberiensis). Threatened by habitat loss (deforestation) and overconsumption (hunting for bushmeat) and with a decreasing allover population trend (and the Roloway Monkey which is either considered a separate species or a subspecies of the Diana Monkey, C. d. roloway is even more endangered than the nominate subspecies) it is listed on Appendix I of CITES and considered "Vulnerable" by IUCN.

Edit 2017-02-05: Fixed broken image urls.

widukind

Jetoar

Lovely replica of this monkey specie. Thanks for share as always friend ^-^.

brontodocus

postsaurischian

Series:   Nature of Japan Vol.1
                                     (This is figure No.02)

compared to Kaiyodo 'Natural Monuments of Japan' (left) & Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Museum vol.1 (right)

bmathison1972

the trio looks good together; should work well for diorama makers!!

Jetoar

brontodocus

They all look great but I think the Kitan Club figure is the best of them all! :)

postsaurischian

Quote from: brontodocus on August 02, 2014, 11:35:30 AM
They all look great but I think the Kitan Club figure is the best of them all! :)

It definitely is!
Both 'Nature of Japan' volumes are just excellent. I really hope there will be a third volume and more.
I want at least 50 figures, just as with the Kaiyodo 'Natural Monuments of Japan' series.
These new Kitan Club figures are on par, if not even a bit better than those were.

stemturtle

Old World monkeys belong to parvorder Catarrhini (down-nosed), which also includes superfamily Hominoidea, the apes, which are covered in a separate thread. The single family Cercopithecidae is divided into subfamilies Cercopithecinae and Colobinae. Cercopithecinae is the guenons, mangabeys, baboons, and macaques. Colobinae is the leaf-eating monkeys with ruminant stomachs: proboscis, langurs, snub-nosed, and colobus. All of these monkeys are native to Africa or Asia.

The purpose of this thread is to show examples of different species, comparing the size of figures to the Schleich guy. Several species that were once exclusive to Play Visions are now represented by other makers.

Cercopithecinae

Diana monkey, Cercopithecus diana, by CollectA
Black crested mangabey, Lophocebus aterrimus, by Nayab
Mandrill, Mandrillus sphinx, by Play Visions
Guenon, Cercopithecus sp., by Britains
Baboon, Papio sp., by Safari / Monkey Toob

Cercopithecinae / Macaca

Lion-tailed macaque, Macaca silenus, by Chap Mei
Celebes crested macaque, Macaca nigra, by Mojo
Formosan rock macaque, Macaca cyclopis, by Kaiyodo
Japanese macaque, Macaca fuscata, by Nature Techni Colour
Rhesus macaque, Macaca mulatta, by Nayab

Colobinae

Proboscis monkey, Nasalis larvatus, by Mojo
Abyssinian black-and-white colobus, Colobus guereza, by Kaiyodo / Yotsuba
Golden snub-nosed monkey, Rhinopithecus rexellana, by Kaiyodo / Furuta
Southern plains gray langur (pair), Semnopithecus dussumieri, by Bandai

This collection is incomplete. Your photos are invited.
For more images see Toy Animal. Info .

Edit: Corrected that Formosa rock macaque was made by Kaiyodo, not Nayab.